+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study Permit - Method of Obtaining

br404d

May 2, 2011
Hello, I'm a Natural Born American citizen, who's been accepted to a College in Canada. I'm now in the process of trying to figure out how to obtain my student visa.

I understand as an American I have the ability to apply for my Permit at the Point of Entry (Vancouver International Airport), or I can apply at an office.

My parents will be financially supporting me for school, and I intend to work part time on campus, do a co-op, or obtain a Canadian Work Permit.

If I'm not mistaken, all I need is a notarized letter from the bank/notary public stating that my parents will financially support me in Canada, and present this to the customs agents at the airport, along with my letter of acceptance.

However, Fees are due for school in the Middle of July, I plan to enter the country on June 8th, where I'll be living with my Fiance (Canadian) and her family, until we move in together into an apartment in August.

The question I have is, is it easier/faster to do apply for my permit AT the border, or should I try and secure it before I leave. The only problem is, if I apply for my permit now, I may or may not have it before I leave the country, and may need it fedex/UPS/Purolator to me at my Fiance's place, then have to re-enter the country by land with the permit, or I'm worried if I apply for it at the border, I won't get it in time for school.

Any advice/help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

br404d

May 2, 2011
Bump, still need advice.

I am planning to go to the New York Office on Thursday for Walk-in service. If I do this, will I receive my study permit decision the same day?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

br404d said:
Bump, still need advice.

I am planning to go to the New York Office on Thursday for Walk-in service. If I do this, will I receive my study permit decision the same day?
No, read the instructions on their web site. You drop it off and you have your decision in 10 days. http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/new_york/imm/general_info-rens_generaux.aspx?lang=eng&menu_id=206

Papapee

May 31, 2011
Do not waste your time going to any Canadian Embassy for study permit. As an American you will be issued the study permit at the Vancouver airport. No Canadian Embassy issue study permit, only approval letter if you are not a U.S citizen, which you have to show at any Canadian border post So as a U.S citizen you do not need the approval letter.

TheHaiderRaja

Star Member
May 30, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
OTTAWA
even if you do need to go read this update from my universitie's international center:

"The Canadian Visa Office in Buffalo, New York is currently overwhelmed with applications. As a result, they will not be accepting "walk-in" clients next week (June 6-10). They will use this time to process applications that have been delayed. If you are considering applying for a Temporary Resident Visa or other immigration document in Buffalo, please consider Detroit as an alternative."