+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study permit from within Canada

Zefears

Dec 23, 2017
Hi guys,

I am in Canada on tourist permit until next October. I would like to study but apparently I cannot apply from within Canada.

Is it true that I have to applay through the Los Angels Visa application centre by mail?
How would that work? Is it still considered like I am applying from Canada or the US?

R

rish888

Yes, you can send your application to Los Angeles by mail.

An application to Los Angeles by mail is specifically intended for people in Canada who are ineligible to apply to the office inside Canada.

The CIC website has instructions.

How is it that your tourist permit is valid until next October? The maximum stay you are allowed is only 6 months inside Canada. You can't stay until your visa expires, you can only stay 6 months from your date of entry.

Zefears

Dec 23, 2017
I came to Canada as a student. After my studies I applied for PGWP program but since my college was a private one, I was refused.
At the time of refusal my original visa was expired so I applied to extend my stay as a visitor. I also have a PR application in process, I guess that is why I have got an extension that long.

R

rish888

Just double check with CIC is you can apply from within Canada given your specific situation.

Zefears

Dec 23, 2017
I know I cannot apply at the office in Canada. Which is why I was asking about LA.

I have looked at the forms and there is a point where I am very confused. Form IMM 1294, application for study permit made outside Canada, is the one privided by VAC website. At question 9 “country where apply” I don’t know what to write. I assumed it would be US since the application will be sent there, but then they ask me my status in said country, and of course I have no status there. Should I say Canada?

Sarantos

Star Member
Apr 14, 2017
I came to Canada as a student. After my studies I applied for PGWP program but since my college was a private one, I was refused.
At the time of refusal my original visa was expired so I applied to extend my stay as a visitor. I also have a PR application in process, I guess that is why I have got an extension that long.

Hi,

Are you applying for PR with the private college transcript ? Do you know what the chances are of succeeding with a private college transcript from Canada ?

Zefears

Dec 23, 2017
No I’m not applying for PR with private college transcripts. The PR application is pn Humanitarian and Compassionate grounds.