+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study Permit extension refused

Nagasaki

Jan 6, 2023
I applied for study permit extension on 27th September 2022 and my study permit expires 8th October 2022. My application was forwarded to the IRCC Etobicoke office but that is not the problem. I got the refusal letter on 18th January 2023 saying "Your status as a temporary resident has expired. You did not submit an application for extension of your temporary resident status on or before the expiry of the authorized period.". Even though I have submitted the application and everything before the expiration date. I have mailed a letter to the Etobicoke office with proof from their website that I have applied at a date well before expiration. I am already in progress of my Winter term at the University and this is really depressing. How long will it take for Etobicoke to reply to my enquiry? IRCC told me that they have received my mailed documents. What is my best course of action right now to expedite the process and get a conclusive decision. Thank you.

sam.devilz19

Nov 7, 2017
St. John's, NL, Canada
First, I would suggest speaking with the immigration advisor at your university and/or an RCICs consultant before submitting another application.

Second review the below relevant websites:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/visitors/implied-status-extending-stay.html

https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=490&top=15

According to these, you will have 90 days from the day you receive a refusal. Make sure to apply to restore your status as a student AND extend your study permit in your next attempt. However, you may be able to appeal your existing refusal; in any case, I would suggest taking professional advice immediately. Also, try to learn whether you can continue working/studying upon sp extension refusal. Good luck,

efermi98

Jun 7, 2021
I applied for study permit extension on 27th September 2022 and my study permit expires 8th October 2022. My application was forwarded to the IRCC Etobicoke office but that is not the problem. I got the refusal letter on 18th January 2023 saying "Your status as a temporary resident has expired. You did not submit an application for extension of your temporary resident status on or before the expiry of the authorized period.". Even though I have submitted the application and everything before the expiration date. I have mailed a letter to the Etobicoke office with proof from their website that I have applied at a date well before expiration. I am already in progress of my Winter term at the University and this is really depressing. How long will it take for Etobicoke to reply to my enquiry? IRCC told me that they have received my mailed documents. What is my best course of action right now to expedite the process and get a conclusive decision. Thank you.

Hello,

How do I renew or apply for a study permit?
As an international student, if you want to renew your study permit, you should apply at least 30 days before the expiry date of your current status. Applying early allows you to remain in Canada under the same conditions of your current study permit until you receive a decision.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5552-applying-change-conditions-extend-your-stay-canada-student.html

What to do if your permit expired
Restoration fee

$ 350
This includes the fee for restoration ($200) and a new study permit ($150).
You lose your student status in Canada if any of the following applies to you:
  • Your study permit expired before you applied for a new one.
  • You changed the conditions on your study permit such as
    • your DLI
    • type of study
    • location of study
    • time period of study
  • You didn’t respect the conditions of your study permit.
Once you lose your status, you can’t study in Canada until we’ve restored your status as a student.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/extend-study-permit/expired-permit.html

efermi98

Jun 7, 2021
The decision has been made. It is refusal. IRCC may not change their decision to give you a new permit. The best course of action is to pay 350 dollars to restore your status. Cheers