+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study permit extension 2023

Menzhel1462

Star Member
Mar 7, 2022
Hi
Has anyone applied for a study permit extension this month or last month and still waiting for a decision ? Have you heard of anyone receiving their permit in less than the processing times indicated?
My study permit and TRV are expiring in March 2023. I applied for an extension on January 20th and just worried of the delay as I have an upcoming trip for ending of April and I also need to apply for new TRV.

Tubiti

Star Member
Jul 23, 2019
Hi! I applied for study permit extension together with requests for extension of my spouse's SOWP and my daughter's SP on December 5, 2022. Still nothing. eligibility review hasn't started. I learnt that another student in my class applied and got her extension in a month last summer, but she applied alone and she was Iranian maybe they accelerated her application due to the situation in her country. not sure. but normally ppl get an extension in 4 months as far as I see. lets inform each other here re the process of our applications.

Reactions: Rifaat95 and PM011U

LartLM

Star Member
Dec 8, 2021
Hi! I applied for study permit extension together with requests for extension of my spouse's SOWP and my daughter's SP on December 5, 2022. Still nothing. eligibility review hasn't started. I learnt that another student in my class applied and got her extension in a month last summer, but she applied alone and she was Iranian maybe they accelerated her application due to the situation in her country. not sure. but normally ppl get an extension in 4 months as far as I see. lets inform each other here re the process of our applications.
oh thanks for replying to this thread! sure i will keep you informed too!! Fingers crossed for some good news soon :)

Reactions: Tubiti

Tubiti

Star Member
Jul 23, 2019
I need to have the permit and then the visa soon as I will need to get a visa for UK and travel abroad. why are they always so slow? pfffff

NewDelhi

Apr 24, 2022
Received approval for study permit extension for 90 days on 8th of Feb 23. Applied for that on 23rd of Dec 22. It took one and a half month.
Now I have study permit valid upto July 23. But the Visa is expiring on 30th of April 23. Do I need to apply for its extension also to stay in Canada and for travel out of Canada. Please advice.

Reactions: Boltj194

Menzhel1462

Star Member
Mar 7, 2022
Received approval for study permit extension for 90 days on 8th of Feb 23. Applied for that on 23rd of Dec 22. It took one and a half month.
Now I have study permit valid upto July 23. But the Visa is expiring on 30th of April 23. Do I need to apply for its extension also to stay in Canada and for travel out of Canada. Please advice.
Do you mean TRV? Then yes, you can apply for a new temporary resident visa (visitor visa) if you wish to travel outside canada and return. Your permit is what makes you have legal status in Canada. TRV or the visa stamp is what you use to travel in and out

Menzhel1462

Star Member
Mar 7, 2022
[/QUOTE]
What was the processing time when you applied for an extension?

sam.devilz19

Nov 7, 2017
St. John's, NL, Canada
Now I have study permit valid upto July 23. But the Visa is expiring on 30th of April 23. Do I need to apply for its extension to stay in Canada and travel out of Canada. Please advice.
That was quick, mate, I checked the processing time for this week on the IRCC website, and it showed 149 days for an extension application they processed on Feb 7th. Can you confirm when did you receive the approval? Hopefully, they might update this new timeline next week.

NewDelhi

Apr 24, 2022
That was quick, mate, I checked the processing time for this week on the IRCC website, and it showed 149 days for an extension application they processed on Feb 7th. Can you confirm when did you receive the approval? Hopefully, they might update this new timeline next week.
Yes It was very fast. They approved study permit extension in 1.5 months (23.12.22 to 08.02.23). Inf act they didn't send any mail in between and there was no update in the portal until the final approval.

NewDelhi

Apr 24, 2022
Do you mean TRV? Then yes, you can apply for a new temporary resident visa (visitor visa) if you wish to travel outside canada and return. Your permit is what makes you have legal status in Canada. TRV or the visa stamp is what you use to travel in and out
Yes I mean TRV. But problem is that the study permit extension is only for three months. It was only for getting time to file PGWP, as the earlier permit and the one year course both are expiring at the same time, April 23.
I feel it will be good if TRV extension is applied after getting 1 year PGWP. My doubt is whether they permit me to stay in Canada for the three month period (on extended study permit).