+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

study permit expiring 3 weeks before my bachelors degree ends

fmazz

Feb 14, 2024
Hi, my study permit is expiring 3 weeks before the end of my final exams. I am not applying for a post grad work permit and am leaving Canada immediately after my exams finish. I will not receive a new study permit in time for the 31st of March so I dont know what to do. Please advise me on the best course of action

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi, my study permit is expiring 3 weeks before the end of my final exams. I am not applying for a post grad work permit and am leaving Canada immediately after my exams finish. I will not receive a new study permit in time for the 31st of March so I dont know what to do. Please advise me on the best course of action
You don’t need a new permit. Just apply to extend your permit to finish your studies.

fmazz

Feb 14, 2024
i have seen those instructions but it doesn't answer my question of whether (for quebec) I need a brand new study permit by the date mine expires or if I just need to have applied for it?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
i have seen those instructions but it doesn't answer my question of whether (for quebec) I need a brand new study permit by the date mine expires or if I just need to have applied for it?
All you need to do is apply for the permit before the permit expires and then you are on implied status.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Even if you don’t plan applying for a PGWP you need to apply for extend your study permit because you don’t want to have a record of overstaying in Canada.