+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study permit duration less than program duration

ravk

Apr 29, 2017
Hi guys, writing on behalf of my brother. He's studying at a college and his program was for 3 years. Today we randomly looked at his passport and realised that his study Visa is until 2019 but the permit was only for 2 years (2016-2018). According to college, he should leave asap and return. Thoughts? Is there any workaround? Has anyone been through this? It was just an oversight because we didnt think that his permit would be for lesser duration than the program. Fyi: expiry was aug 31 so its past 90 day mark

rogelcorral

Champion Member
Jun 15, 2018
Hi guys, writing on behalf of my brother. He's studying at a college and his program was for 3 years. Today we randomly looked at his passport and realised that his study Visa is until 2019 but the permit was only for 2 years (2016-2018). According to college, he should leave asap and return. Thoughts? Is there any workaround? Has anyone been through this? It was just an oversight because we didnt think that his permit would be for lesser duration than the program. Fyi: expiry was aug 31 so its past 90 day mark
A 3 year program is 6 semesters long. So without any breaks, it can be completed in 2 calendar years(3 semesters for each year). Check with you brother’s college if the program have scheduled breaks. Also, what are the exact dates of coverage for both the visa and the permit?

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
He has been studying without a permit which is illegal, he is also in Canada without valid status, since restoration period is over there is little else to do except go home and try apply for a new permit.

ravk

Apr 29, 2017
A 3 year program is 6 semesters long. So without any breaks, it can be completed in 2 calendar years(3 semesters for each year). Check with you brother’s college if the program have scheduled breaks. Also, what are the exact dates of coverage for both the visa and the permit?
Hi. The expiry date on study visa is 31/8/2019 and the permit is 31/8/2018. His program did have summer breaks but my confusion is..the date on visa and permit is different. Could this be an error?

rogelcorral

Champion Member
Jun 15, 2018
Hi. The expiry date on study visa is 31/8/2019 and the permit is 31/8/2018. His program did have summer breaks but my confusion is..the date on visa and permit is different. Could this be an error?
If program was completed, DLI will report this to IRCC. Visa and permit will then be cancelled despite what the effectivity says, unless one applies for extension. As @bongoman said, your brother is out of status already and must return home and apply from there.