+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study permit application within canada for first time

zonur

Feb 7, 2021
Hi everyone,

my wife’s college application is accepted. She needs to apply for a study permit.
I have been living in canada for more than 2 years and she has just joined me couple of weeks ago. I am on a PGWP (expires in one month) and she is on a Visitor Visa.
So i think we should apply for a study permit within canada application.
Since my permit expires in one month, do you think it is a good idea to apply with her for a spousal work permit for my self?

thank you

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi everyone,

my wife’s college application is accepted. She needs to apply for a study permit.
I have been living in canada for more than 2 years and she has just joined me couple of weeks ago. I am on a PGWP (expires in one month) and she is on a Visitor Visa.
So i think we should apply for a study permit within canada application.
Since my permit expires in one month, do you think it is a good idea to apply with her for a spousal work permit for my self?

thank you
You don’t qualify for an SOWP. The rules have changed and the primary applicant (you) remains the primary applicant. Too many people were extending by taking turns applying for study permits. Once you applied for your study permit you can no longer apply for an SOWP if your spouse studies.

Reactions: Naturgrl

zonur

Feb 7, 2021
Thank you for your precious information. that is completely new for me.
I think i need to apply for a PR ASAP but it takes time so i need to figure something out before my permit expires