+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study permit application in NewYork

alinyus

Nov 7, 2009
I have been attending NYU for the past 4 years and I want to go the university of Toronto for one semester. I have admission letter from UoT. I will be taking only one class there which will cost approximately 2000CAD.
I have applied for my study permit last week, but now I am having a second thought that I should have applied for TRV and not study permit since I don't plan to stay there more than one semester.
Any idea on this? Could my visa be rejected because I have applied for the study permit?
I am iranian citizen, but have been in the US for the past 6 years on student visa, I have travel history to France, Germany, and UK.
Thanks for your help.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

alinyus said:
I have been attending NYU for the past 4 years and I want to go the university of Toronto for one semester. I have admission letter from UoT. I will be taking only one class there which will cost approximately 2000CAD.
I have applied for my study permit last week, but now I am having a second thought that I should have applied for TRV and not study permit since I don't plan to stay there more than one semester.
Any idea on this? Could my visa be rejected because I have applied for the study permit?
I am iranian citizen, but have been in the US for the past 6 years on student visa, I have travel history to France, Germany, and UK.
Thanks for your help.
Don't forget that you have to complete the questionaire as you are from a scheduled country. UofT probably won't admit you without a study permit.

PMM

alinyus

Nov 7, 2009
Thanks for your respond, what questionare?
So there is no reason to be worried about and I have to wait for the results.
I think my travel history could be a good reason that I am not gonna stay in canada.
They also kept my passports.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

alinyus said:
Thanks for your respond, what questionare?
So there is no reason to be worried about and I have to wait for the results.
I think my travel history could be a good reason that I am not gonna stay in canada.
They also kept my passports.
I am assuming you are not a green card hold, so as citizen of Iran you have to complete a question which will add 10 days to the processing time.

From Buffalo's web site

"SUPPLEMENTARY FORMS

All persons between 16 and 65 years of age from the following countries must complete this questionnaire (PDF* 79.9 KB)and include it with their applications:

Afghanistan, Bosnia, Croatia, Haiti, Iraq, Iran, Kosovo, Libya, Macedonia, Palestinian Authority, Rwanda, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, Serbia, Somalia, Sudan, Syria "

PMM

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

alinyus said:
I missed that form and I have applied last Tuesday Nov 3rd, should I fax it to them?
Yes, otherwise your application is probably coming back.

PMM

salbenz17

Jun 3, 2009
alinyus said:
Thanks for your help.
As you have stated, an Iranian citizen and I'm assuming here that you don't have a green card. A TRV is required as you will not be allowed enttry into Canada without a TRV and solely on a study permit. So it's best that you apply for that as well.

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
salbenz17 said:
As you have stated, an Iranian citizen and I'm assuming here that you don't have a green card. A TRV is required as you will not be allowed enttry into Canada without a TRV and solely on a study permit. So it's best that you apply for that as well.
I think for an initial Study Permit Application, the study permit will be given to him at the Port of Entry if he is granted a Student Visa (TRV) from NY.

salbenz17

Jun 3, 2009
job_seeker said:
salbenz17 said:
I think for an initial Study Permit Application, the study permit will be given to him at the Port of Entry if he is granted a Student Visa (TRV) from NY.
I'm quite certain as he isn't a greencard holder or an American citizen and is infact an Iranian citizen that he would be required to submit applications for both. Endure the 10 day mandatory waiting period for Iranians as well followed by the normal processing times.

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
salbenz17 said:
job_seeker said:
salbenz17 said:
I'm quite certain as he isn't a greencard holder or an American citizen and is infact an Iranian citizen that he would be required to submit applications for both. Endure the 10 day mandatory waiting period for Iranians as well followed by the normal processing times.
Yes he would still have to submit the supplementary forms. But his TRV would be student not visitor.

alinyus

Nov 7, 2009
Thanks for your reponse. I am an iranian citizen with no green card or other citizenship. In fact I never thought of getting a greencard (eventhough I am eligible), I have been in the US for 6 years and will go to canada for about 4 months and once I am done with my stuff I will be back to Iran.

The embassy will issue my TRV as soon as they approved my case. I know it sucks to wait 10 days extra because of the citizenship, but whatever their law is, I respect it.

salbenz17

Jun 3, 2009
alinyus said:
Thanks for your reponse. I am an iranian citizen with no green card or other citizenship. In fact I never thought of getting a greencard (eventhough I am eligible), I have been in the US for 6 years and will go to canada for about 4 months and once I am done with my stuff I will be back to Iran.

The embassy will issue my TRV as soon as they approved my case. I know it sucks to wait 10 days extra because of the citizenship, but whatever their law is, I respect it.
Hi,

When did you apply for the TRV? Kindly let me know once you receive it. My country is also on the list for 10 mandatory waiting days so I'd like to see the timeline for someone with a similar situation. It's nothing to worry about, they just check to see if you are associated with any organizations such as Al Qaeda ... i.e. a threat to Canada. That takes 10 days.