+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

study permit after approved PR

johnny123123123

Apr 9, 2014
When I was 7 yrs old my PR application was approved. Then my family and I had to leave after few months from staying in Canada.

Now I am 24 yrs old applying for a study permit and the embassy is asking me to fill some forms because I had a PR.

I want to understand the following.

The fact I had PR, is it going to help or diminish my case?

Thanks in advance.

hellolondon

Star Member
Oct 7, 2013
Hello friend, I was in a similar situation. I was in 9th grade when my father got PR for himself and the family in 2004. We just stayed for a month in Toronto and came back. Now after 9 years, I applied for study visa. I was also asked to sign a form before being granted the visa, which is nothing but the voluntary relinquishment of the PR status so that they can issue you a non-immigrant visa.

johnny123123123

Apr 9, 2014
Thank you for the great answer @hellolondon .

Did you sign the form after or before getting the study permit?

And how long did it take them to process the PR travel document?

Thanks friend!

hellolondon

Star Member
Oct 7, 2013
johnny123123123 said:
Thank you for the great answer @ hellolondon .

Did you sign the form after or before getting the study permit?

Thanks friend!
They will grant the TRV only after you sign the form and send it because you cannot have an immigrant and a non-immigrant status at the same time. Moreover, if they have asked you to sign the form and send, it means that they have decided to grant you the visa. Once you send the form , they will immediately stamp your visa. Good luck ! I feel this situation is working positively for us :) :)

hellolondon

Star Member
Oct 7, 2013
johnny123123123 said:
Please note that you are not getting any PR travel document. You are relinquishing your PR status voluntarily. What we get is the temporary resident visa as any other student gets.

txboyscout

Jun 9, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
03-08-2011
johnny123123123 said:
When I was 7 yrs old my PR application was approved. Then my family and I had to leave after few months from staying in Canada.

Now I am 20 yrs old applying for a study permit and the embassy is asking me to fill some forms because I had a PR.

I want to understand the following.
The fact I had PR, is it going to help or diminish my case?
Thanks in advance.
You cannot have two immigrations statuses at one time--either you can be a perm resident PR or a temp resident Student Visa

As pointed out by others, the document is voluntary relingquishment of PR. If you sign it your PR is gone. Are you sure you want to do this?

I think you might have a chance to keep your PR under Humanitarian and Compassionate grounds....If nothing else it will save you a bundle on fees

johnny123123123

Apr 9, 2014
Thanks @hellolondon. I am aware that I am relinquishing my PR status but they asked me to fill the PR travel document anyway. I will sign the waiver form after it gets processed, according to them.

In fact, I didn't even know I was PR until the embassy phoned me to submit the PR travel document after I submitted my study permit application lol.

Now they are asking me to submit Permanent Residency Card, and Landing Document among other documents, which I am not sure I can find.

@hellolondon did they not ask you to submit a travel document?

@txboyscout, I am not sure I have a strong case for restoring my PR - I grew up simply as a student in another country. Like I said, I wasn't even aware I had a PR- I was 7 yrs old when my parents and I got it.

thanks

hellolondon

Star Member
Oct 7, 2013
It is not at all easy to restore the PR status. In this exercise, if you are denied restoration, your chances of getting a student permit will be drastically diminished because you would have shown your interest of living permanently in Canada which might work against your student permit requirements.

johnny123123123

Apr 9, 2014
@ hellolondon, so what do I do? the embassy is asking me to submit the PR travel document even though I applied for the study permit :(.

hellolondon

Star Member
Oct 7, 2013
johnny123123123 said:
Thanks @ hellolondon. I am aware that I am relinquishing my PR status but they asked me to fill the PR travel document anyway. I will sign the waiver form after it gets processed, according to them.

In fact, I didn't even know I was PR until the embassy phoned me to submit the PR travel document after I submitted my study permit application lol.

Now they are asking me to submit Permanent Residency Card, and Landing Document among other documents, which I am not sure I can find.

@ hellolondon did they not ask you to submit a travel document?

@ txboyscout, I am not sure I have a strong case for restoring my PR - I grew up simply as a student in another country. Like I said, I wasn't even aware I had a PR- I was 7 yrs old when my parents and I got it.

thanks
No. I was not asked to submit anything. May be you still have a valid PR status. How long it has been since you left Canada? I was away from Canada for more than 8 years, wherein I was required to stay for 2 years in every five year term. So, I had lost my status. I don't know about you. Are you sure the form you are required to sign is a PR relinquishment form? May be not. If they asked you to fill a PR travel document, may be you will get your PR restored !! If that is the case, it is celebration time. Pl keep us updated.

Pl write an email to the embassy and clarify with them.

johnny123123123

Apr 9, 2014
@ hellolondon I didn't come back to Canada for over 10 years and I barely stayed there. They sent me the PR travel document to fill, the same document that a returning immigrant would fill. To my knowledge, there is absolutely no chance they would restore my PR. I just want to relinquish the PR and have my SP application processed normally.

This is so confusing, I am lost as to what to do since the embassy is expecting the travel document soon and I assume they take a long time to reply to email queries.

hellolondon

Star Member
Oct 7, 2013
johnny123123123 said:
@ hellolondon I didn't come back to Canada for over 10 years and I barely stayed there. They sent me the PR travel document to fill, the same document that a returning immigrant would fill. To my knowledge, there is absolutely no chance they would restore my PR. I just want to relinquish the PR and have my SP application processed normally.

This is so confusing, I am lost as to what to do since the embassy is expecting the travel document soon and I assume they take a long time to reply to email queries.
>>>>>>>> I just want to relinquish the PR and have my SP application processed normally.<<<<<

why would you want to relinquish your PR if they are offering? you must be extremely lucky if your PR gets restored, because you will be eligible for domestic tuition fee which is far less than that of an international student. Just send whatever they ask for and wait for your passport to know what visa they have stamped, student visa or an immigrant visa. Good luck.

johnny123123123

Apr 9, 2014
@hellolondon but you told me, if they refuse restoring my PR, then the chance for getting the study permit is diminished greatly :(.

Don't you think this is risky?