+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

student visa with husband as dependent

nba86

Jul 21, 2011
hello,
hope you all doing good.

I m going to apply for 2 years Msc food and nutrition program and i want to take my husband along with me as a dependent.
kindly guide me in detail that what should i do,because it is not possible for me to live alone in abroad.

Paul-in-Canada

Mar 10, 2011
Check out this thread

www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/on-student-visa-can-i-bring-my-husband-and-son-on-dependent-visa-t77282.0.html

Also check out this page ....

www.canadainternational.gc.ca/buffalo/assets/pdfs/visas/53_1_eng.pdf

U will get some hints right from 1st page .....

Although I find this on CHC Washington DC site, (bcoz I m in USA) the procedure to apply is similar for most countries.

nba86

Jul 21, 2011
thnx for the reply,

links u suggested were quite helpful but i still need some more guidance because i want to fly along with my husband but if he applies for open work permit then its average processing time is about 11 months (for Pakistan) and if he applies for temporary resident visa then the processing time is quite fine i.e. 58days for online application, but temporary resident visa will be granted for how much period? can he do work during his stay in Canada?and what things should be quoted in our visa application to make it more strong so that we could fly together.?

Regards.

Paul-in-Canada

Mar 10, 2011
Well, I think, if you all apply together, then your application will be processed within the time period specified for issuing Visas to "Students", (doesn't matter even if your Husband applies for a "Work Permit") because you (the student) is the "Principal Applicant". So you will all get your Visas together (if approved). I am not 100% sure about it, Experts plz help. Or best, apply for 2012 fall session. That way you will have sufficient time.

Getting "Open Work Permit" or even a TRV for student's spouse from South Asian countries is tough. It depends on your Husband's qualification & current job.

Make sure "Visa Officer" MUST NOT think that the main motive of your going to Canada is for your husband to find a job in Canada, and your study visa is just a cover-up.

The best way to prove this is by showing that your husband has a stable, established, well paying Job/Business in Pakistan.

amarecharla

Oct 25, 2011
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
27-02-2015
Hi,
My wife is applying for a student visa this November. So I also want to travel along with her. So how& when should I file my visa? Is it after she gets her visa or with the same application as hers??
Whats the success rate of both??

Regards,
Abhi.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you apply together, you both have to show strong ties to home country but the visa officer is supposed to see you as a unit and either approve or deny both. If your wife applies first showing strong ties to home country, including husband staying behind, she may be approved but when you apply later, you could be denied.

soie76

Star Member
Aug 10, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
This is an interesting post. I am facing the same problem. i wanna go for my studies with my husband and kids as dependents. And everyone is saying that the chances are just 50-50. Its a risk. Maybe if i write a really strong statement the officer will be convinced that we r gonna go for studies.
all seniors please add to this post and guide us pls

jithin

Jun 2, 2012
nba86 said:
hello,
hope you all doing good.

I m going to apply for 2 years Msc food and nutrition program and i want to take my husband along with me as a dependent.
kindly guide me in detail that what should i do,because it is not possible for me to live alone in abroad.

ghazaleh ali

Nov 4, 2017
hi my husband is going to canada to study i want to go with him but i need to know if i can study in canada as well . please help me thanks

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

hi my husband is going to canada to study i want to go with him but i need to know if i can study in canada as well . please help me thanks
1. Yes you could, but you would have to apply for a study permit, and show sufficient funds to be able to pay international fees and the additional living expenses.

Reactions: ghazaleh ali

Jananigs

Aug 16, 2018
Hi, I am going to study masters at UBC , winter session. I applied online and got visa with my husband and son as dependents. Their visa is visit visa (V-1 - multiple) for duration same as my study visa . I would like to know if they can stay for the entire duration of my study or only 6 months at a stretch?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Hi, I am going to study masters at UBC , winter session. I applied online and got visa with my husband and son as dependents. Their visa is visit visa (V-1 - multiple) for duration same as my study visa . I would like to know if they can stay for the entire duration of my study or only 6 months at a stretch?
1. Ask for either a Spousal Open Work Permit or Visitor record for the full length of your study permit. If the child is of school age, you can ask for a study permit for the same length of time on entry.