+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Student Visa entry into PR appliction, Korean

Rbwon

Jun 23, 2016
Hello I am writing regarding my girlfriend. She is a Korean national and wishes to come to Canada to study in Calgary. She wishes to take a 2 year diploma course which begins in August 2017, and then settle in Canada after completing her program. We don't want to be apart until then, so we are hoping to get her into Canada in January 2017. Hopefully getting her PR application started so that we can pay for most of her program with domestic tuition.We have a few plans of how to accomplish this and I was wondering if anyone could share their thoughts and advice.

Option 1:
She applies to her program in August 2016 and receives her invitation a month or two later. Begins application with Visa centre for a Student Visa. Comes to Canada on her student Visa before her term starts (as early as she is allowed to). We get married and apply for her PR. After 3 months of the PR process she can receive a letter from CIC which she can send to her institution to qualify for domestic tuition (Her institution told me this is how it works). Eventually get PR and finish her program.

Option 2:
She applies to her program in August 2016 and receives her Letter of Invitation. In January she comes to Canada on a visitor visa (6 month visa exempt), we get married and apply for PR. When we have completed our end of the PR process, we will apply to either extend her visitor Visa or a student Visa. This is so she can remain in Canada legally while we wait for her PR application.

1. How early before their program begins can someone with a Student Visa enter Canada? We are hoping for 7 months before her program starts. Just to be together. She does not plan on working. Just self studying and getting used to living in Canada.
2. Is it better to come in on a student Visa or a Visitor Visa when applying for PR?
3. Would we encounter any problems with either of these approaches? Being transparent with the CIC about our plans for her PR application.