+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Student and spouse, need help

alex_chem

May 20, 2011
Hi everyone!

I have been accepted by the University of Western Ontario. I'm planning to go to Canada with my spouse (wife). After some
hours of exploration the website: CIC i figured out that there are two possible ways:

First way: Me - applying for a study permit
My spouse - applying for a work permit (outside Canada)

Second way: Me - applying for a study permit
My spouse - applying for a temporary resident visa (ouside Canada) and after entering Canada - applying for a work permit.

Are these two ways correct or is there something which I don't undestand propeerly?

Which of these two ways seems to be more relible in order to get more chances to obtain visas?
Please help!
Thanks in advance!

alex_chem

May 20, 2011
Hi, I'm from Belarus!
Completed degree: B.Sc. Chemistry - Belarusian State University

I have been admited for the M.Sc. Chemistry at the UWO.

In order to show my strong motivation to come back I'm going to provide complete family info, and list of my/my family posessions: my car, our flat....

Matt Sh.

May 31, 2011
Hello Alex,

If you apply for Study Permit, your dependents (including your wife and children) will automatically be granted a TRV. So, only apply for Study Permit.

Once you are in Canada, your wife can apply for Work Permit, but ther's no need to apply for that when you're out of Canada.

Hope it helps...
Matt

Papapee

May 31, 2011
If you don't mind your wife waiting for another 90-150days for an open work authorization while in Canada, option one should be your best bet. Mind you if you have kids old enough to attend elementary school be prepared to apply for study permit for them too when they arrive in Canada or at the embassy too.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Matt Sh. said:
Hello Alex,

If you apply for Study Permit, your dependents (including your wife and children) will automatically be granted a TRV. So, only apply for Study Permit.

Once you are in Canada, your wife can apply for Work Permit, but ther's no need to apply for that when you're out of Canada.

Hope it helps...
Matt
There is no "automatic granting" of TRVs. The OP and his wife and children have to apply for TRVs as well he has to apply the study permit. He must prove that he has living expenses for 1 year for 4 people, plus the first year tuition and travel expenses. Check the forum and see how many spouses have been rejected.