+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Struggle with money as international student

Feb 21, 2024
Hey guys, I know that there are a lot of you struggling with money nowadays, but I was supposed to be on a 2 year program and I haven't completed even one year of studies and I already think that my savings won't last the year so I'm very concerned. Is this only me? I came with my wife and 2 children, my wife got a par time job and I got a full time job, but we are in minimum wage and no daycare in Vancouver. (Sorry for the big context). I just want to know if you are able to get student loans, bursaries, any benefits? Is it common for a person to get an employment with an uncompleted diploma? I really think I'm just wasting my time and money... I already have a big debt from home :(

rcincanada2019

Jan 14, 2023
Ontario
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
App. Filed.......
03-07-2022
Nomination.....
30-03-2022
AOR Received.
03-11-2022
Hey guys, I know that there are a lot of you struggling with money nowadays, but I was supposed to be on a 2 year program and I haven't completed even one year of studies and I already think that my savings won't last the year so I'm very concerned. Is this only me? I came with my wife and 2 children, my wife got a par time job and I got a full time job, but we are in minimum wage and no daycare in Vancouver. (Sorry for the big context). I just want to know if you are able to get student loans, bursaries, any benefits? Is it common for a person to get an employment with an uncompleted diploma? I really think I'm just wasting my time and money... I already have a big debt from home :(
Sorry for your predicament.

Getting an employment offer would depend on your qualifications for the job duties. When I applied for my current job, my would-be employer did not even ask for my educational credentials. They just asked about my experience and gave me several technical scenarios. If you are qualified, and your employer has an approved LMIA, you can apply for a closed work permit.

Oct 20, 2023
Its really sad, i can only imagine the pain you in , is it possible to get a side job , like uber or drive taxi or something? Vancouver is big you should be able to find something.
Really sorry for you

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

Coming to Canada with a family means significant extra savings are required especially in an are like Vancouver. Many do not do enough research about cost of living and it is much more difficult to live on a very tight budget with a family. IRCC should have denied families without significant savings although many arrive on TRVs so their ability to afford to live in Canada is not considered. Unless doing a masters or PhD there are unlikely any scholarships or bursaries. You don’t qualify for student loans from Canada but you may qualify for a loan in your home country. You may want to consider having your family return home while you finish your studies.

Reactions: Taran D