+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Stocks count as Funds ? ?

Froze950

Star Member
Oct 10, 2014
Hello... Hope everyone is having a good day/evening.

I am in Canada working on PGWP.... Now I understand, even though I am working here on work permit, I still need to show funds since I do not have LMIA.

I have invested my savings in stock market last summer... Wondering if that would count as "POF" ? I have about 8k invested...

Any response would be appreciated....

kakhileshreddy

Jan 6, 2013
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Doc's Request.
CELPIP-spouse-sept 23- same day submitted
AOR Received.
sept 14
Med's Request
sept 24-passed/recv'd
Med's Done....
sept 24
Passport Req..
FEB 24
i dont think stocks canbe shown as funds. as there is no gaurentee for the returns but you could add the portfolio in the file .

GIC's Mutual funds etc can be shown as funds. if you invest in these your bank portfolio will have them as assets.

mf4361

Champion Member
Apr 17, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18 Nov 2015
Nomination.....
12 Oct 2015
AOR Received.
25 Feb 2016
IELTS Request
Sent
Med's Request
28 Oct 2016
Med's Done....
14 Nov 2016
Passport Req..
27 Feb 2017
VISA ISSUED...
15 Mar 2017
LANDED..........
16 Mar 2017
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/funds.asp

"...documents that show property or capital payable to you (such as stocks, bonds, debentures, treasury bills, etc.) or..."

Bond and Stock counts
The rationale is they can be liquidated and redeemed as cash immediately

Gary Goldshmidt

Dec 4, 2011
Toronto, Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Bond can be sold, debentures are unsecured debt so their is no guarantee the creditor will repay the debt. GIC's can be redeemable or non-redeemable so they may not always be liquid when the funds are needed. T bill are fine they are short term, but in today's rate environment savings accounts pay higher interest.

Ivan.Galv

Star Member
Jan 7, 2015
Most broker companies can provide you a letter, confirming that you have X amount of stocks with market value equal to Y on specified date.
There is absolutely no difference between stocks, bonds, mutual funds and cash for CIC. If someone tells you that you can lose stocks value, obviously you easily can loose even cash or any other money type.

However, in Express Entry you was asked to provide three different numbers: funds, assets and debts. To be accurate, stocks are assets, not funds. But I am pretty sure that CIC does not care, just show stocks value and get PR.

Reactions: astraldust

vinodram

Feb 5, 2015
CANADA
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottwa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Froze950 said:
Hello... Hope everyone is having a good day/evening.

I am in Canada working on PGWP.... Now I understand, even though I am working here on work permit, I still need to show funds since I do not have LMIA.

I have invested my savings in stock market last summer... Wondering if that would count as "POF" ? I have about 8k invested...

Any response would be appreciated....
If you are working in CANADA not required

Unless you are currently authorized to work in Canada and have a valid job offer from an employer in Canada, you must show that you have enough money to support yourself and your family after you get to Canada.

doubleym

Jan 6, 2015
vinodram said:
If you are working in CANADA not required

Unless you are currently authorized to work in Canada and have a valid job offer from an employer in Canada, you must show that you have enough money to support yourself and your family after you get to Canada.
According to CIC this is the case if you are working in Canada and have a 'Valid Job Offer', which means a job offer with an LMIA. Which the OP doesn't have since he's on a PGWP.

Therefore they still need to show proof of funds.

Pippin

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2010
Ivan.Galv said:
Most broker companies can provide you a letter, confirming that you have X amount of stocks with market value equal to Y on specified date.
There is absolutely no difference between stocks, bonds, mutual funds and cash for CIC. If someone tells you that you can lose stocks value, obviously you easily can loose even cash or any other money type.

However, in Express Entry you was asked to provide three different numbers: funds, assets and debts. To be accurate, stocks are assets, not funds. But I am pretty sure that CIC does not care, just show stocks value and get PR.
Ivan: do you have a link for the info that EE asks for "funds, assets and debts"? There is quite a discussion going on in the Credit Card Dues thread and it is being said there that they do not ask about debts. It would be helpful to clarify this. Thanks.