+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Steps to link your SOWP Paper Application to CIC Online

NiVish

Star Member
Dec 19, 2016
Hi aditya,

My case is same as yours I am unable to link my online account I have applied for my husbands on August 2nd 2017 havent hear anything from them. It is making me more confused after reading the medical request and all because I did not have any online access i do not know how would i get the medical request because it is more than 8 weeks right now. Please update if you have any info help me please
Yu should be able to link it anytime soon... If Yu don't link Yur application,u will still receive all the communication via mail. I was able to link it only in my 8th week...

Once-A-Marketer

Mar 21, 2017
Hi aditya,

My case is same as yours I am unable to link my online account I have applied for my husbands on August 2nd 2017 havent hear anything from them. It is making me more confused after reading the medical request and all because I did not have any online access i do not know how would i get the medical request because it is more than 8 weeks right now. Please update if you have any info help me please
You will get the medical request by email. I am having the same issue, just can't link the application online.

Once-A-Marketer

Mar 21, 2017
I have received the application number buy an email from CIC, but I still can't link my wife's paper application online. I have tried all possible combination several times, but no success. I have sent an email to CIC as well but they have responded yet. Any thoughts what I am missing? The application was submitted in June 2017.

NiVish

Star Member
Dec 19, 2016
I have received the application number buy an email from CIC, but I still can't link my wife's paper application online. I have tried all possible combination several times, but no success. I have sent an email to CIC as well but they have responded yet. Any thoughts what I am missing? The application was submitted in June 2017.
In case u ve any previous rejections, u can try with UCI number. U should be able to link by now as it has been more than 2 months

Once-A-Marketer

Mar 21, 2017
In case u ve any previous rejections, u can try with UCI number. U should be able to link by now as it has been more than 2 months
I have tried all possible combinations, including UCI number, but I just can't link the application online. It's been over 3 months now.

Reactions: Bhubank

lazaga_patriciamay

Sep 19, 2017
Hi, can you tell me how to link my application?I send it through paper based..And I can't check it..I did a work permit with new employer..

Hope you can help me..

Thanks!

Trinh

Sep 12, 2017
I have listed steps to link your SOWP Paper Application to CIC Online

(1) Go to this below listed link
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/e-services/mycic.asp
(2) Click on continue to Gckey
(3) If You've already account created, login with your Username and Password otherwise Click on Sign up to go on next page and create your username, password and security questions.
(4) After creating my CIC account, click link application to this account.
(5) Then select category as Temporary residence and subcategory as Work Permit and extension.
(6) Then select Family name, given name and date of birth option.
(7) Fill your family name(surname), given name and date of birth as per Passport or Application form.
(8.) Next in applicant personal info panel fill Passport information only and DO NOT FILL CITY AND COUNTRY OF BIRTH.
(9) In Details of intended work in Canada info, Select Open (initial application or extension) for What type of work permit are you applying for?
(10) Select applicant's Current country of residence (For example, if your spouse currently living in India, Please select India)
(11) Select Current marital Status
(12) Next select Spouse or common-low partner of a skilled worker if Applicant's Spouse on Open Work Permit or PGWP in Canada Or Select Spouse or common-low partner of a foreign student if Applicant's Spouse on Study permit
(13) Once you fill all information, Click on Search for my application
(14) Your application will be found and can be linked.
(15) You can get real time updates on your paper application online.

I hope this information will help you...!!!

In case of any doubts Please drop comments below.

Thanks,
Krunal
Hi there,
Thank you for your instruction.

I have a few the following questions:
(10) Select applicant's Current country of residence (For example, if your spouse currently living in India, Please select India)
-> I have Visitor visa and I have been living in Quebec city for 6 months. My original country is Vietnam. So should I fill Canada or Vietnam?

(12) Next select Spouse or common-low partner of a skilled worker if Applicant's Spouse on Open Work Permit or PGWP in Canada Or Select Spouse or common-low partner of a foreign student if Applicant's Spouse on Study permit
-> My husband has a job in Quebec; and I applied for opening work permit so what option should I choose?

Bhubank

Star Member
Sep 17, 2017
I have tried all possible combinations, including UCI number, but I just can't link the application online. It's been over 3 months now.
If u get cic mail by email, u only able to link ur application within 7 days after u received. If they send u on ur regular mail address then u won’t be able to link you application. Go and check there is bunch of question answers on cic website. www.cic.gc.ca

Once-A-Marketer

Mar 21, 2017
If u get cic mail by email, u only able to link ur application within 7 days after u received. If they send u on ur regular mail address then u won’t be able to link you application. Go and check there is bunch of question answers on cic website. www.cic.gc.ca
I could not find any information about "linking application within 7 days" after receiving the notification or "cannot link application if an email is sent" by CIC. Can you add the link where you found that info on the CIC website? The only Q&A available regarding linking paper application to a MyCIC account is here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/my_application/link.asp - The Q&A is at the bottom of the page.

One would think that an applicant should be able to link his/her application once the application number is issued, but it is not in my case.

Trinh

Sep 12, 2017

(3) If You've already account created, login with your Username and Password otherwise Click on Sign up to go on next page and create your username, password and security questions.
(5) Then select category as Temporary residence and subcategory as Work Permit and extension.
(7) Fill your family name(surname), given name and date of birth as per Passport or Application form.
(8.) Next in applicant personal info panel fill Passport information only and DO NOT FILL CITY AND COUNTRY OF BIRTH.
(9) In Details of intended work in Canada info, Select Open (initial application or extension) for What type of work permit are you applying for?

Thanks,
Krunal
I just want to comment more for this instruction:
- For (8): It is true that if you DON'T FILL CITY AND COUNTRY OF BIRTH, it works! How amazing it is!!! (#%*)
- But for (12): It depends on your situation.

For example:
- "Apply for permanent resident as a spouse or common-law partner in Canada" means your sponsor is Canadian.
- "Spouse or common-law partner of a skilled worker" means your sponsor is actually a foreigner and he/she works here as a skilled worker.
---> It is very different from each other.

*** Don't forget to use Internet Explorer to fill the forms or link account to avoid errors from the system :(

That's it, you will be able to link your application to your online account! Wish you all best of luck!

Have a nice weekend!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: Happiness1012

redpanda505

Sep 27, 2017

Thanks,
Krunal
It did not work. I am in a common law relationship with a Canadian, (im Australian) and have applied through common law. I followed your steps to the tee except selected "applied for PR through common law within Canada" the first time - didn't work. selected "applied for bridging OWP" the second time - also didn't work.
Like I said, ive not had any letters saying ANYTHING about my OWP yet. Am I meant to wait for that? I have the letter giving me my PR application number and telling me to link that but NOT the OWP. doesn't mention that at all. Is there a SEPARATE letter for the OWP to be able to be linked?