+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Steps after receiving CoPR and Visa ?

Maverick28

VIP Member
Feb 5, 2017
Canada
Good morning everyone.

I have 2 queries for which I want to seek clarity.

1. Place of Birth in the COPR document of my 2 months baby is blank. Other than this all other details in my baby's document are perfectly fine. Will this affect the entry of my son in Canada? Do I need to ask the Visa authorities to issue my baby a new COPR document (adding Place of Birth)?
  2. The date of expiry of our One time PR Visa is 31st July. We our flying to Canada on 12th July. My Wife and son intend to come back to India after a month on 10th Aug. If we don't get our PR cards by then will my wife and son face issues as the Visa is valid only until 31st July? I am really worried as I have already booked all the flights and after booking this second thought came in my mind.
Looking forward for your response on these 2 queries.

Thanking you in advance.
Not sure about the 1st question, but I guess there should be a place of birth there. Please check if its there on the passport or not.

Edit: Asked a friend and the place of birth was also missing on the COPR of their 3 months old baby. They had no issues while landing in Canada.

For the 2nd question, the visa is a one time entry visa only. So once you land in Canada, that visa will be cancelled. Next time your wife and son want to renter, they'll need the PR card for that. If they don't have the PR Card by then, they can apply for PRTD from India.

Last edited:
Reactions: paryant22

paryant22

Mar 12, 2016
Not sure about the 1st question, but I guess there should be a place of birth there. Please check if its there on the passport or not.

Edit: Asked a friend and the place of birth was also missing on the COPR of their 3 months old baby. They had no issues while landing in Canada.

For the 2nd question, the visa is a one time entry visa only. So once you land in Canada, that visa will be cancelled. Next time your wife and son want to renter, they'll need the PR card for that. If they don't have the PR Card by then, they can apply for PRTD from India.
Appreciate your prompt reply Maverick28.

So that means that if my wife and son leave back to India after a month (even if they have dont have there PR cards issued by then), it will not be an issue? Please confirm.

I was a little worried as I have already booked the return air tickets and after booking I realised that the Visa will be expired on 31st July.

Maverick28

VIP Member
Feb 5, 2017
Canada
Appreciate your prompt reply Maverick28.

So that means that if my wife and son leave back to India after a month (even if they have dont have there PR cards issued by then), it will not be an issue? Please confirm.

I was a little worried as I have already booked the return air tickets and after booking I realised that the Visa will be expired on 31st July.
If they leave, it won't be an issue but they will need the PR card or PRTD to enter back in Canada.

So you'll need to send the PR card back to them or apply for PRTD before they can travel again to Canada.

Reactions: paryant22

novascotia_addict

Star Member
Jul 5, 2013
Guelph, Ontario, Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
23-12-2016
AOR Received.
14-04-2017
File Transfer...
14-04-2017
Med's Done....
Upfront
Passport Req..
31-10-2017
VISA ISSUED...
01-12-2017
Hi there,
Quick question for clarification.
I have been issued my copr that I will be activating in July by land border. Just confirming I do not need a PR card to enter and can apply for one at a later date.

Is there something I am missing or it's just my copr and passport that is needed at the border. I would hate to have gone through all of this and then fall at the final hurdle.

Look forward to anyone's help.
Thank you

Marvi4real

Jun 23, 2017
Hey guys,
For those that are landing, you can contact me through whatsapp for very good prices for your home internet,tv and home phone.

vjvijay85

Oct 27, 2017
Insight wanted please, Today morning I got my Ready for Visa email - there is a small issue here - my medicals was issued on 7th jun 2017 - and I am really not sure when I am going to get my passport back - I am going to mail my passport first thing in the morning (Canadian embassy Sydney - Australia)??? I would assume the very least 30 days (10th Jun 18) .... Has anyone been in a similar situation ? What should I do ?

ASAD1ASAD

Star Member
May 10, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
JULY 2016
Doc's Request.
JULY 2016
Insight wanted please, Today morning I got my Ready for Visa email - there is a small issue here - my medicals was issued on 7th jun 2017 - and I am really not sure when I am going to get my passport back - I am going to mail my passport first thing in the morning (Canadian embassy Sydney - Australia)??? I would assume the very least 30 days (10th Jun 18) .... Has anyone been in a similar situation ? What should I do ?
Dear
I received visa and copr ,but I have no relative and friend in Saskatoon, in that case what do I do? what will be the best answer for PR CARD SENT ADDRESS. If I book room here from my country , will it be right to say or advice.

sagar.ghabade

Aug 3, 2017
Hello,

Today I received an update in CIC account that my application has been approved. Mots likely I will collect the passports in next week. On the application page it says, counterfoil as the document issued(not sure what it is, assuming it to be COPR) and its valid till Nov 2018.

1. Based on this, I am assuming that my COPR will be valid till Nov and I have to travel before that. Please correct me if am wrong

2. I read in some replies that I will have to show proof of funds evidences at the port. In the PR application process, I have two letters from bank. One dated Dec 2017 (initial doc I submitted). Another letter dated Apr 2018 (asked by CIC as additional document). I have now downloaded the statement, for Apr 2018 to May 2018. WIll these documents be sufficient to prove the funds? I am trying to move the funds before my intended travel date i.e. Mid July.

Thanks,
Sagar

Erick91

Jun 11, 2018
Hi everybody,

I just received my CoPR and Visa today. From my research, there are two ways to complete the PR process and apply for the initial PR card (for those who are already in Canada).
  1. Call IRCC and book an appointment at the local IRCC office. This will take 2-8 weeks for the local IRCC office to reply, then appointment and 58 days for the card to arrive. This is way too long for such a process. I won't follow this path.
  2. Go straight to the land border. However, it is said on IRCC's website: You must leave Canada, enter another country and re-enter Canada. I don't have a US visitor visa, so is there a must to enter USA? Or can I just leave and re-enter Canada?
I am a bit worried now since I gotta come back home in the next 5 months. My PR visa will expire before the time I planned to return to Canada. Thus, I wish to have the PR card before coming back home to be safe. I hope you guys can help me with this.

Thanks,

here2stay86

Jun 25, 2018
Hello Friends,
Received Golden Email, then got the Passport stamped. Now, whats next ??
Current residence - USA, Nationality - India.

Today, I have received my passport with stamped COPR. I would like to have PR initialization asap.

1. If I go by Road, do I need to apply for tourist visa to get to borders and activate COPR? What documents would I require to do so?
During/ After stamping is approved, can I visit Canada or do I need to wait for the PR Card. I will be giving address of my colleague who resides in Canada.

2. If I go by flight, do I need transit visa or tourist visa?

In any case, what would be the list of documents, I need to carry. Also will I need to get new proof of funds and photographs? Will I need to take prior appointments at the Border (if by road). Do weekends work as well?

I just need to initiate my COPR asap. And start for the next process.

Thanks,

AjeyaGupta

Star Member
Aug 6, 2018
Hello Guys!

In order to plan my 2019 better, I have a quick question regarding the timeline after receiving CoPR. After reading the posts in this thread, I understand that CoPR document has an expiry date listed on it. Can someone please confirm what is the expiry date in general? Some folks have mentioned that the expiry date is generally 1 year from date when the medical tests are taken. Some one else got CoPR with expiry date of about 6 months from medical tests. Some other mentioned that expiry date on CoPR document is 1 year + 1-2 weeks from the date when medical tests were taken.

I'd really appreciate if someone could provide some clarification on this.

Note: Expiry Date on CoPR: I mean the date before which I will need to land in Canada for the PR to get activated

Thanks,
Ajeya Gupta

dinesh.acme

Oct 4, 2017
United States
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
VISA ISSUED...
23-10-2018
Hello Guys!

In order to plan my 2019 better, I have a quick question regarding the timeline after receiving CoPR. After reading the posts in this thread, I understand that CoPR document has an expiry date listed on it. Can someone please confirm what is the expiry date in general? Some folks have mentioned that the expiry date is generally 1 year from date when the medical tests are taken. Some one else got CoPR with expiry date of about 6 months from medical tests. Some other mentioned that expiry date on CoPR document is 1 year + 1-2 weeks from the date when medical tests were taken.

I'd really appreciate if someone could provide some clarification on this.

Note: Expiry Date on CoPR: I mean the date before which I will need to land in Canada for the PR to get activated

Thanks,
Ajeya Gupta
All the above-mentioned timelines are correct. As it's based on the date your CoPR is approved and the expiry date is mostly 1 year from the day your medicals were done. Average processing time of the application is 6 months, considering you did your medicals just before the application submission you would have 6 more months left which would be the duration of your PR visa.

Dranwarul

Nov 25, 2017
Will. I get individual copr letter for my spouse and children separately or only one copr letter for primary applicant?