+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Staying out of Canada under a PR

mmakshay67

Apr 24, 2019
Hello,

I have recently got my PR approved and stamped. I am planning to collect my card and then go back to my home country for a break and then come back. I might end up taking a 6 month break. Do I have to let the immigration know that I might be planning to take a long break. If so when should I let them know, before leaving or after I have stayed outside the country for more than 6 months (because I might also come back), or in general should I let immigration know that I will be travelling putsode the country.

Thanks

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Once you are a PR you a free to come and go as you want you do not have to tell anyone nobody will be interested.

The only provision is that you need to always meet the residency obligation of 2 years in every 5 years plus you must have your card on you if you board a plane to come back.

As for 6 months some newcomers do soft landings and some go all the way to the limit returning home for near 3 years before coming back. That would of course mean they would have to stay put for 2 years plus when they return to Canada to meet their RO , 6 months more like an extended vacation.

Note that you are responsible for keeping track of any travel outside of the country both to be able to demonstrate that you continue to meet the residency obligation and also later on should decide to go for citizenship. Some people with frquent travel find it useful to keep a record in a spreadsheet.

Last edited: