+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Starting New Job Under Implied Status

DohCanada

Apr 15, 2015
Ponga said:
That's exactly how I interpreted the information in ip08.
A person that is deemed to have `Lack of Status' would in fact include a person that worked beyond the validity of their WP.
Ironically, CIC updated the Inland Guide last September, removing the previous section about legal status not being required, as long as the applicant has an eligible sponsor, and replacing it with language that says legal status is now required.
The Guide has since been updated again, earlier this year, and that new language remains.
What does this now mean for a person in Canada without status that has applied for spousal sponsorship AFTER September 2014?
Do you mean the Guide (IMM 5289)? (Sorry, there are so many bloody guides and manuals and references on that website, I want to make sure I'm looking at the right one.)

I guess ultimately they will never advise someone to let their status lapse and I certainly wouldn't let my spouse's status lapse either. If you come into contact with the police and are issued a ticket for something minor, you could actually find yourself caught up in the deportation process if you lack status, even though you are exempt from the requirement to be in status when you become a permanent resident. That said, staying in status is about as easy as straightforward as fairground midway game.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
DohCanada said:
Do you mean the Guide (IMM 5289)? (Sorry, there are so many bloody guides and manuals and references on that website, I want to make sure I'm looking at the right one.)

I guess ultimately they will never advise someone to let their status lapse and I certainly wouldn't let my spouse's status lapse either. If you come into contact with the police and are issued a ticket for something minor, you could actually find yourself caught up in the deportation process if you lack status, even though you are exempt from the requirement to be in status when you become a permanent resident. That said, staying in status is about as easy as straightforward as fairground midway game.
Yes. The new version includes the following:

Maintaining legal status

Spouses and common law partners of Canadian citizens and permanent residents in Canada who wish to apply for permanent resident status are required to have legal immigration status in order to qualify under the Spouse or Common-law partner in Canada class.

Important information: Applicants who wish to be able to continue to work and study in Canada must submit an application for extension before the work or study permit expires.

While the same document before the change last September, said this:

Maintaining legal status

Spouses and common‑law partners of Canadian citizens and permanent residents in Canada who wish to apply for permanent resident status are no longer required to have legal immigration status provided that they have an eligible sponsor. All other eligibility requirements continue to apply.

Important information. Applicants who wish to be able to continue to work and study in Canada must submit an application for extension before the work or study permit expires.

And...I always thought that midway games are rigged. :)

Mittsy

Aug 15, 2018
Hello my husband has applied for BOWP and based upon his application i have applied for spouse open work permit.Ours both Pg work permit is expiring on sep 1.Can i continue to work under implied status with the current employer?