+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse Visa for international student

IrinaBC

Feb 21, 2012
Hello,
can u plz help me to understand my issue. I'm international student in Canada. My spouse still in home country and he wasn't signed in any of my applications when i applied for study permit. I know that he is eligible for an open work permit, but all the information from CIC.GC.CA about applying for ACCOMPANYING spouse so who is in Canada now :'( . where should we start from? What shall we do (which forms to use) to make him eligible to come to Canada and to get an OWP? i will be really appreciate any info or links. ;D
Thanx!

enfield

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
IrinaBC said:
Hello,
can u plz help me to understand my issue. I'm international student in Canada. My spouse still in home country and he wasn't signed in any of my applications when i applied for study permit. I know that he is eligible for an open work permit, but all the information from CIC.GC.CA about applying for ACCOMPANYING spouse so who is in Canada now :'( . where should we start from? What shall we do (which forms to use) to make him eligible to come to Canada and to get an OWP? i will be really appreciate any info or links. ;D
Thanx!
Hi,

1. It doesn't matter if your spouse is eligible/ineligible for an OWP. To enter Canada, your spouse need a "TRV Visitor" (that's the only way).

Application www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/visa.asp

IrinaBC

Feb 21, 2012
Thank you! But what will be the ground for him to apply? Does it say anywhere "let me come to Canada because i want to accompany my spouse" or something like that :) ?
So i can make a conclusion, it would be better to apply all in once - me for student visa, him for accompanying?

and.... does he need to do both applications for TRV and for OWP at once? Or it is two separate inquire?

enfield

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
IrinaBC said:
and.... does he need to do both applications for TRV and for OWP at once? Or it is two separate inquire?
Hi,

1. No. At first only TRV, and OWP (only in Canada).

IrinaBC

Feb 21, 2012
lol i should separate my questions because i didn't get the answer :)
So, the a person should get TRV first, then come to Canada and apply for an OWP? But if to cite from the bottom of the page you gave me "If you require a study permit or a work permit, you must apply for it before coming to Canada."

enfield

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
IrinaBC said:
lol i should separate my questions because i didn't get the answer :)
So, the a person should get TRV first, then come to Canada and apply for an OWP? But if to cite from the bottom of the page you gave me "If you require a study permit or a work permit, you must apply for it before coming to Canada."
Hi,

1. Yes, you should first apply for the TRV from your homeland and apply for the OWP once you land in Canada.
2. Open Work Permit and Work Permit are two different things. Unlike work permits, OWP is available to spouses/common‑law partners of the study/work permit holder (TFW).

IrinaBC

Feb 21, 2012
Hmmm... I just wonder if it is possible to invite a boyfriend to visit me in canada, get married here and apply for an open work permit for him after. Does anyone know for how long they can issue a TRV and what will be the reasonable inquiry for length of stay in such situation.
and can he prolong his TRV if he has an OWP?
thanx

enfield

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
IrinaBC said:
Hmmm... I just wonder if it is possible to invite a boyfriend to visit me in canada, get married here and apply for an open work permit for him after. Does anyone know for how long they can issue a TRV and what will be the reasonable inquiry for length of stay in such situation.
thanx
Hi,

1. Generally for 6 months. A Canada Border Services Officer (BSO) will decide the length of your stay.

Mar 7, 2012
IrinaBC said:
Hello,
Thanx!
I have the same question. Did you do this application for your spouse? Thanks in advance for your help.

jinal parmar

Star Member
Jan 10, 2012
IrinaBC said:
thanx
Hello

The same thing I am wondering. ::) if this process works then it ll solve my problems. 8)

ad gopang

Star Member
Jan 17, 2012
Hi dear how arn you which documents are requisite for spouse student visa?How much Funds?Which one is cheaper college or university?