+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse Sponsorship with Proxy Marriage Question, Urgent!! thank you

MofC2014

Star Member
Jan 17, 2014
nizoo said:
I spoke to a lawyer that was able to get my proxy marriage setup the correct way, due to work I cannot go do my marriage certificate by myself so I thought what a better way than giving my dad the power of attorney and sending him back to Lebanon.

The whole process is complete, the only problem is, I called the same lawyer today and he started saying that a new law came out last week that proxy marriages are not acceptable anymore, even if they country of where the marriage was done accepts it as a legal marriage.

My fiance is from Syria by the way and she had to travel to Lebanon to finish the paperwork. I would rather not have to do all that again, it is a dangerous route to take, but we took our chances and she arrived safe, but having to go to Lebanon again and doing the process all over, may put her in danger AGAIN, not to mention myself also because I am also Syrian and if things go wrong and I have to enter Syria, I would be taken to the mandatory army duty. or of course even jail.

my question is, the marriage certificate is dated the 14th of April, 2015 so that's just last week, so when did the law come into effect? (apparently the same lawyer that is telling me about the law doesn't know when it came to effect) and if it came to effect after the 14th, would my marriage still be valid to sponsor my wife?

any advice would be helpful,

thank you
As this is just a proposed amendment, your marriage took place before new law is/was passed therefore your proxy marriage is legal as long as it followed the required laws in Lebanon. Just know that in case of an interview they will question why marriage was done by proxy. Send me a PM if you want more info as I have gone through the whole process of marriage by proxy.

enigma1998

Sep 21, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Rabat, Morocco
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July-22-2013
Doc's Request.
October-08-2013/ November-17-2014
File Transfer...
September-16-2013/ February-14-2015
Med's Done....
November-2014
Interview........
May/19/2015
Passport Req..
May/19/2015
VISA ISSUED...
May/19/2015
LANDED..........
May/24/2015
Hi everyone I need help please.

Sir ,,

We find that the payment of charges for the right of permanent residence (RPRF) has not yet been done by your guarantor.

Your guarantor in Canada must pay for the Right of Permanent Residence Fee (RPRF) with the application processing center (CPC) Citizenship and Immigration Canada in Mississauga, Ontario.

The CPC will inform our office directly after expenses have been paid.

To pay you must do the following:

1) The RPRF can be paid online at CPC - Mississauga http://www.cic.gc.ca/francais/information/frais/index.asp

2) You may submit a proof of payment to CPC-M by sending a copy of the receipt to the following email address: CPCM-EXTCOM@cic.gc.ca or mail

CPC Mississauga

Det Box 6100, station A

Mississauga (Ontario)

L5A 4H4

Please please include the name of the sponsor, date of birth and IUC and the number of your application number (beginning with the letter F).

In case you decide not to settle in Canada, the RPRF is refundable without interest.

Please accept, Sir, our sincere greetings.

please I want to know if that is a good sign they are looking at the application with favor.

Thanks.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
enigma1998 said:
Hi everyone I need help please.

Sir ,,

We find that the payment of charges for the right of permanent residence (RPRF) has not yet been done by your guarantor.

Your guarantor in Canada must pay for the Right of Permanent Residence Fee (RPRF) with the application processing center (CPC) Citizenship and Immigration Canada in Mississauga, Ontario.

The CPC will inform our office directly after expenses have been paid.

To pay you must do the following:

1) The RPRF can be paid online at CPC - Mississauga http://www.cic.gc.ca/francais/information/frais/index.asp

2) You may submit a proof of payment to CPC-M by sending a copy of the receipt to the following email address: CPCM-EXTCOM @ cic.gc.ca or mail

CPC Mississauga

Det Box 6100, station A

Mississauga (Ontario)

L5A 4H4

Please please include the name of the sponsor, date of birth and IUC and the number of your application number (beginning with the letter F).

In case you decide not to settle in Canada, the RPRF is refundable without interest.

Please accept, Sir, our sincere greetings.

please I want to know if that is a good sign they are looking at the application with favor.

Thanks.
This has absolutely nothing to do with proxy marriages. Why did you hijack this thread?

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
MofC2014 said:
Actually your interpretation of the above is not correct. Proxy marriages are valid if they take place in a country where proxy marriages are valid. End of story. The above quote only refers to marriages by proxy performed in a foreign embassy of a country that allows proxy marriages in Canada. Meaning, lets say proxy marriage is legal in Pakistan, therefore the Embassy of Pakistan in Canada could potentially allow for marriages by proxy at their offices (this used to be done a lot, therefore CIC put in the above rule). So what the above states is that as the embassy is in Canada, in one of the provinces in which proxy marriage is not permitted Canada would not recognize these marriages as they were in fact performed on Canadian soil.
Good to know. Although I've seen several cases where visa officers have rejected the validity of proxy marriages that were done in countries that permit proxy marriages (as per my example linked to), cases where people have traveled from Canada to another country/state where proxy marriages are allowed to be certain that marriage would be legal on both ends, and also cases where applications were rejected based on visa officer suspecting marriage of convenience due to a proxy marriage (though not that it was illegal).
In many cases I can only assume there is a misinterpretation of the rules, not just by sponsors and applicants, but also by visa officers themselves in some cases.

nizoo

Apr 21, 2015
Thank you so much everybody! I have also called the CIC and they have confirmed twice now that they accept proxy marriages.

Thanks again to everybody, really appreciate it!!!

I will call the lawyer and inform him that this was only a proposed amendment.

The lawyer is quite old but he is Lebanese himself and he was the only representative in Toronto that would be able to help me out without having to go all the way to Ottawa. From what I understood on the phone it was his secretary that told him about this new law, so cant blame everything on him I guess :)

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
For reference, to anyone coming across this thread.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/bulletins-2015/613-june-11-2015.html

2. Coming Into force of the amended regulations
The regulatory amendments to no longer recognize proxy, telephone, fax, Internet, and other similar forms of marriage as valid spousal relationships for immigration purposes will come into force on June 10, 2015. The regulatory amendment applies to all temporary and permanent immigration programs, including protected persons, effective June 11, 2015.

All sponsorship, permanent resident or temporary resident applications received on or after June 11, 2015, will be subject to the new regulations [5(c), 117(9)(c.1) and 125(1)(c.1)].

All sponsorship, permanent resident or temporary resident applications received before June 11, 2015, will be subject to the previous regulations [5(c), 117(9)(c.1) and 125(1)(c.1)].