+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse sponsorship after divorce

Sam_Van

Sep 27, 2012
Hi All,

I sponsored someone and seems like i was used jut to get a PR status. So i am getting a divorce
I don't complain. Screw it. Life is too short.
My question is the following.
Lets say i will meet somebody in Europe in a year or two ( i travel a lot) and will decide to marry this person.
What happens to my previous sponsorship. From what i understand i sighed for 3 years. Douse it mean i have to wait 3 years if i want to merry someone else from outside of Canada?

Thank you

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
Sam_Van said:
What happens to my previous sponsorship. From what i understand i sighed for 3 years. Douse it mean i have to wait 3 years if i want to merry someone else from outside of Canada?
I am very sorry to hear that someone used you in that way, because it always hurts to find out someone you trusted and loved has betrayed you at such a fundamental level. In addition, I know it's what makes sponsorship more difficult for the rest of us.

You are not prohibited from marrying that person, but you are barred from sponsoring that person to come live with you in Canada until the three year sponsorship undertaking has been completed. You could live with them in Europe, or they could attempt to enter Canada via an economic immigration path.

Good luck.

enzo1971

Sep 28, 2012
I am very sorry to hear that someone used you in that way, because it always hurts to find out someone you trusted and loved has betrayed you at such a fundamental level. In addition, I know it's what makes sponsorship more difficult for the rest of us.

You are not prohibited from marrying that person, but you are barred from sponsoring that person to come live with you in Canada until the three year sponsorship undertaking has been completed. You could live with them in Europe, or they could attempt to enter Canada via an economic immigration path.

Good luck.

Im very sorry that happened to you.
Computergeek I would like to give you my situation and if you have the time please read my situation and maybe provide me with a little help.
I met a turkish girl in canada we lived together from jan16/2011 to sept5/2011 (her visa expired she went back to turkey) I finished up some
things in Canada with the intentions of getting a permanent residense in turkey so we could be together. We had an apartment in Turkey from Nov5 to April 11/2012. I came back to canada due to a family members poor heath. I went back to Turkey July 19/2012 to Sept 11/2012. I decided Turkey was not going to work for me I missed Canada too much. So I want to try to sponsor her so we can live in Canada together.
I have been legally separated since June 2010 from my exwife. Will it be possible for me to sponsor her? When she was here she went to a english school and studied for 6months on a study visa with no work permitted to her.
I really want to bring her here I love her with all my heart and I believe she can have a much better quality of life in Canada.
Im sorry if I interupted this thread, but it looked like you answered his questions 100%.
Thanking you in advance for any help you or any other member here can provide.
Cheers,
enzo1971

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
enzo1971 said:
Computergeek I would like to give you my situation and if you have the time please read my situation and maybe provide me with a little help.
I met a turkish girl in canada we lived together from jan16/2011 to sept5/2011 (her visa expired she went back to turkey) I finished up some
things in Canada with the intentions of getting a permanent residense in turkey so we could be together. We had an apartment in Turkey from Nov5 to April 11/2012. I came back to canada due to a family members poor heath. I went back to Turkey July 19/2012 to Sept 11/2012. I decided Turkey was not going to work for me I missed Canada too much. So I want to try to sponsor her so we can live in Canada together.
I have been legally separated since June 2010 from my exwife. Will it be possible for me to sponsor her? When she was here she went to a english school and studied for 6months on a study visa with no work permitted to her.
I really want to bring her here I love her with all my heart and I believe she can have a much better quality of life in Canada.
Im sorry if I interupted this thread, but it looked like you answered his questions 100%.
Thanking you in advance for any help you or any other member here can provide.
From what you have described it does not sound like you qualify for common-law, as it requires living together for at least one continuous year before applying. Thus, your options are to either live together for a year and THEN sponsor, or to get married and sponsor.

Good luck!