+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse sponsor - Permanent Resident

UnRefugiado

Mar 24, 2018
Greetings everybody,

Let me introduce myself, I have been granted protected person status on January, 2019. After my claim was accepted I proceeded to apply to Permanent Resident status. So far, it has been 1 year and Im still waiting. I have the following doubts and questions if you could please help me I really appreciate it :

My girlfriend lives back home and we are planning to get marry soon in another country. Im wondering if I could add her to my Permanent residency process and if we would get the Permanent residency both of us at the same time? Please, help me with this love story :)

Thank you .

Reactions: Rabwah

Rabwah

Star Member
Dec 29, 2019
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
LVO
Hi,

I believe the best option is to add her in your application once you get married. You need a PR card to get enter to Canada if you want to get marry somewhere else.

You can apply for Refugee travel document and can travel to any other country.

You can not go back to the home country and get married and enter Canada. (You don’t have a PR card + You claim refugee against that country).

The best option is to apply for Travel document ASAP(It takes 3 months) and apply for a visa to where you wana get married. After getting married, Submit all evidences (Pictures of marriage, Registration of marriage in a country where you will get marry, Proof of previous communication etc etc...).

If her application for PR get rejected, It will automatically cause your application rejected as well.

Best of Luck

Reactions: UnRefugiado

UnRefugiado

Mar 24, 2018
Rabwah, thank you for your reply.

I already have the RTD with me, and yes, I will not travel to my home country as I can't. But we are actually deciding to do it in another country.

Can she be added to my Permanent Resident application even thought they are processing it? Would we get the PR at the same time or I should wait until I get the PR myself and then sponsor her?

Rabwah

Star Member
Dec 29, 2019
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
LVO
Rabwah, thank you for your reply.

I already have the RTD with me, and yes, I will not travel to my home country as I can't. But we are actually deciding to do it in another country.

Can she be added to my Permanent Resident application even thought they are processing it? Would we get the PR at the same time or I should wait until I get the PR myself and then sponsor her?
100% yes, You can add her in your application for sure. Both will be PR same time as she will be your dependant.

Reactions: UnRefugiado

UnRefugiado

Mar 24, 2018
100% yes, You can add her in your application for sure. Both will be PR same time as she will be your dependant.
Thank you for the explanation Rabwah.

In case that I get the PR before the date that we get marry then would she fall into the category or estimating time of "sponsor your spouse" which is taking 12 months at this moment?

Monchichi

Feb 22, 2020
Hello, I sponsor my wife PR and we already got COPR. Does anyone know if I HAVE TO arrive Canada prior to my wife arrival or I can arrive Canada on same flight with her? Thank you.