Med's Done....
12-04-2019
Passport Req..
14-05-2019
VISA ISSUED...
13-06-2019
LANDED..........
30-09-2019
Hey guys, can someone please confirm that my understanding of PCC requirements for spouses is correct?

Brief background: I’m planning to get married to my gf and we’re trying to figure out the optimal time to do it. We’re currently trying to decide between getting married before I do a soft landing or after. My gf is a US citizen but lived in South Korea (from the age of 18) until about 11 years ago, after which she’s continuously been in the US. I’ve read on this forum and elsewhere that obtaining a South Korean PCC that will satisfy IRCC isn’t easy and we’re hoping to avoid doing that, if possible.

If we get married before I do a soft landing, and I add her to my PR application, she would only need to get PCCs for countries she’s lived in (continuously for 6 months or more) in the last 10 years (ie., the USA). Source: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/permanent-residence/express-entry/applications-received-on-after-january-1-2016-completeness-check.html#s04

If we get married after I do a soft landing, and I sponsor her (either with her being outland outside Canada, outland inside Canada, or inland inside Canada), she would need to get PCCs for countries she’s lived in (continuously for 6 months or more) since the age of 18 (ie., the USA and South Korea). Source: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5525-basic-guide-sponsor-your-spouse-partner-child.html#documents

1. Is my understanding of the requirements correct?

2. Does it make sense that the police certificates being asked for are for different time periods in these two cases?

Thanks for your time.

akkoajangajang

Star Member
Jan 10, 2019
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
22-01-2019
Nomination.....
30-01-2019
AOR Received.
01-03-2019
Med's Done....
12-04-2019
Passport Req..
14-05-2019
VISA ISSUED...
13-06-2019
LANDED..........
30-09-2019
Hello, does anyone have an idea about this? Any help would be really appreciated. I’ve scoured the Internet for answers but haven’t found anything definitive.

aubreylael

May 14, 2019
I'm not an expert, but I would check your understanding of the requirements for the 5525 guide. Unless she lived in Korea for more than 11 years, I don't think you would have to submit the Korean police certificate. Here is the wording from the link you included that I think helps you.

Police certificates

You (the principal applicant), and any family members 18 or older (who are not already Canadian citizens or permanent residents), must submit police certificates from the following country or countries with your application:

• The country where you (or they) currently live, if you have lived there for six months or more.
    and

• The country where you (or they) have spent most of your (their) life since the age of 18.
Since she isn't currently living in South Korea, the six months corollary doesn't seem to apply. So the only question is where did she spend the majority of her time since the age of 18?
Hope this helps. (Once again, not an expert, came here looking for my own answers about Korean police certificates. And yes, they seem nearly impossible, and going by the *Korean consulate website* possibly illegal, for a non-Korean citizen to get and give to Immigration.)

akkoajangajang

Star Member
Jan 10, 2019
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
22-01-2019
Nomination.....
30-01-2019
AOR Received.
01-03-2019
Med's Done....
12-04-2019
Passport Req..
14-05-2019
VISA ISSUED...
13-06-2019
LANDED..........
30-09-2019
Since she isn't currently living in South Korea, the six months corollary doesn't seem to apply. So the only question is where did she spend the majority of her time since the age of 18?
That’s a good point. I never paid much attention to that before. I guess I’ll cross that line when I get to it but allminwon has seemed to work for a handful of people so it’s definitely something to fall back on.

DarylM

Star Member
Nov 12, 2018
Not sure if you are still in the process, but I thought I'd add my bit.

I have been asked to get a Korean police certificate, despite the following not being true.
  • The country where you (or they) currently live, if you have lived there for six months or more.
    and

• The country where you (or they) have spent most of your (their) life since the age of 18.
I lived in Korea from 2008-2012, working as a teacher. I submitted my UK police clearance but was later asked for the Korean one too. I've been advised the IRCC can ask for any additional materials, as they have in my case.