+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse open Work Permit

johnson77

Mar 22, 2015
Experts!!!!

I have small concern about my spouse Open Work Permit

Both of our WP is expiring by end of November. So my company has filed the extension for my work permit but not for my wife

As of now CIC Takes 120 days for my approval WP.

Having said that, To extend my wife OWP , Do i really have wait for my approved copy ? or is there any alternative way ?

tomsniper

Star Member
Mar 31, 2012
Grande Prairie, Alberta.
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 18
AOR Received.
May 19
Med's Done....
April 1
when your WP expires you have 3 more months under implied status. if you have a new LMIA you can apply for hers.

maverick85

Star Member
Sep 21, 2015
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
08-10-2015
AOR Received.
08-10-2015
Med's Done....
22-07-2015
johnson77 said:
Experts!!!!

Both of our WP is expiring by end of November. So my company has filed the extension for my work permit but not for my wife

Having said that, To extend my wife OWP , Do i really have wait for my approved copy ? or is there any alternative way ?
You can apply for your spouse's open work permit using the "Confirmation of Submission" PDF of your work permit application instead of your work permit. Upload this confirmation message at the place where you are asked to upload "Family Member Proof of Status". A number of people from my organization have done this and got approval. Make sure that you write a brief and nice letter of explanation and mention that due to slower processing times, you are currently attaching only the confirmation message in order to maintain an implied status. Also quote the work permit application number in the letter of explanation.
Apply before the expiry of your spouse's current open work permit to maintain an implied status.
Additionally, you can also send your new work permit scanned copy through a "Case Specific Enquiry (CSE)" later when you receive it and ask to add it to your spouse's application, but that may not be needed.

sumitthegreat

Star Member
Oct 11, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
johnson77 said:
Experts!!!!

Hi Johnson,

maverick85 is absolutely right here. I am in exact same situation . My current Closed WP is expiring in NOV and my wife had Open WP which is expiring at same time.

But only good thing is my case is - my company has applied WP extension for both of us so my closed WP will extend and my wife open WP will extend. keeping the point in mind , it seems you should be able to get WP extended for your wife at the same time you do like maverick85 suggested.

Act fast and take expert advise from your company lawyer who has applied for your WP.

Mik1234

Star Member
Aug 28, 2015
Hi Maverick85.

So how a company can apply to extend your Open work permit?? this means company has applied for your LMIA?? Is there any rule than company can extend my work permit without LMIA?

Pls suggest...!

eddie_in_NL

Star Member
Jul 12, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I can vouch for what maverick85 said.

I'm in similar situation, and had applied for my wife OWP at the same time (back in April). There was an issue with my company work permit application, so my wife OWP wasn't approved until this issue was resolved. She maintained implied status the whole time. My company lawyer managed to resolve the issue and both work permits were issued this week.

Someone said you get implied status for 3 months after your work permit expires. This is not entirely correct, you get implied status for as long as it takes them to process your application (which can be more or less than 3 months) PROVIDED you submitted your application BEFORE your current work permit expired.

johnson77

Mar 22, 2015
HI , eddie_in_NL

I had filled all the necessary questions and finally i have received the form IMM5257E (Application for Visitor Visa) . But i don't think so. Rather i should get the IMM5710E.

can you help me ?

maverick85

Star Member
Sep 21, 2015
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
08-10-2015
AOR Received.
08-10-2015
Med's Done....
22-07-2015
johnson77 said:
Hi maverick85

Can you share your contact number at the earliest if possible.
Hello Johnson. I have dropped you a message with my phone number.

maverick85

Star Member
Sep 21, 2015
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
08-10-2015
AOR Received.
08-10-2015
Med's Done....
22-07-2015
Mik1234 said:
Hi Maverick85.

So how a company can apply to extend your Open work permit?? this means company has applied for your LMIA?? Is there any rule than company can extend my work permit without LMIA?

Pls suggest...!
Hi Mik1234.. I dont have an open work permit, mine is closed. My spouse has an open work permit which i applied using my closed work permit. Spouse can get an open work permit with the same end date as your closed work permit. Also, I am on intra company transfer and hence LMIA exempt. If you are already on LMIA, then you will need LMIA to get your work permit extended.

eddie_in_NL

Star Member
Jul 12, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
johnson77 said:
HI , eddie_in_NL

I had filled all the necessary questions and finally i have received the form IMM5257E (Application for Visitor Visa) . But i don't think so. Rather i should get the IMM5710E.

can you help me ?
I used the 5710, which is for the work permit. The 5257 comes later when you apply for a TRV (if you need one).

I'm in Canada so I can only apply for the TRV once I receive the work permit. If you're outside Canada you may be able to apply for both at the same time