+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse Open Work permit

priyabhee

Sep 23, 2015
i think your visa will also expires on april 27th along with him.

if he opted for bowp you can extend your visa along with him

DVRT

Star Member
Nov 8, 2016
Hi All,
Today I got passport submission request from CIC for my SOWP...
My timeline is:
Applied (Online): 11 Nov 2016
Medical Request: 01 Feb 2017
Medical Done: 03 Feb 2017
Medical Passed: 09 Feb 2017
Passport Request: 20 Feb 2017

jsghai

Star Member
Feb 9, 2017
Canada
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
OTTAWA
NOC Code......
DVRT said:
Hi All,
Today I got passport submission request from CIC for my SOWP...
My timeline is:
Applied (Online): 11 Nov 2016
Medical Request: 01 Feb 2017
Medical Done: 03 Feb 2017
Medical Passed: 09 Feb 2017
Passport Request: 20 Feb 2017
CONGRATULATIONS !!

tia08

Feb 19, 2017
priyabhee said:

No, he did not. Do you think there is any way I can extend my work permit without him being in Canada?

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
priyabhee said:

Come on, please people. While i do appreciate the good intent of helping out others, please only write things you know about with certainity.

What BOWP? Did the OP mention they had applied for PR? No. Then there is no concept of BOWP here. BOWP is only for people who have filed PR already and are going out of status while staying in Canada.

The simple answer here is no, you cannot extend your status here on your own if you were a dependent spouse, unless

A) An employer gets you an LMIA exempt work permit or gets an LMIA for you

OR

B) You have become eligible for a PR program through any means (provincial nomination, CEC etc.) and submit a PR application along with a BOWP application as a principal applicant yourself.

VargheseR

Feb 21, 2017
Hi All,

Need assistance in how to apply for SOWP. As i applied for TRV and it got rejected.
which is the best : applying online or paper based application.

Thank you

tia08

Feb 19, 2017
fkl said:
Come one, please people. While i do appreciate the good intent of helping out others, please only write things you know about with certainity.

What BOWP? Did the OP mention they had applied for PR? No. Then there is no concept of BOWP here. BOWP is only for people who have filed PR already and are going out of status while staying in Canada.

The simple answer here is no, you cannot extend your status here on your own if you were a dependent spouse, unless

A) An employer gets you an LMIA exempt work permit or gets an LMIA for you

OR

B) You have become eligible for a PR program through any means (provincial nomination, CEC etc.) and submit a PR application along with a BOWP application as a principal applicant yourself.
Thank you very much!

rahman2

Star Member
Feb 15, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-10-2016
Nomination.....
06-09-2016
AOR Received.
10-01-2017
Hello Everyone,
I would like to apply for a renewal of my PGWP(I did not get three years because of my passport validity. I got a new passport and i would like claim rest of my time.) so while i am doing that i would like to apply for my spouse Open Work permit too.

1. Do you guys think it's a good idea to apply together?
2. If we apply together, do you know where they will process our application(like in canada or Singapore which is our Visa Office)
3. What can we show for country tie?
4. We have a joint bank account back in my country but don't have that much money. do you think i should still show that joint bank account as a proof of relationship?(We got married on December 2015)

Here is a little background about us.
We got SINP nomination and submitted our file on 21 October 2016.
My wife just finished her masters and she got rejection for TRV seven months ago.
I was in a term job and from march 01,2017 i am starting a new permanent job.
5. Do you think i should wait for paycheck of my new job or just offer letter will work?

I am interested to apply as soon as possible.
Your advice/suggestions will be highly appreciated.

Regards,

ursanky

Feb 15, 2017
Hi All,

I need info on Open work permit.

Currently I'm working in Canada and my wife is also working on open work permit (W1-Worker) in Canada.
Her open work permit is valid till 2018.

My query is ,
can she stay back in Canada till her open work permit expires, If I travelled to India this year?

Thanks.

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
Please see answers inline.

rahman2 said:
Hello Everyone,
I would like to apply for a renewal of my PGWP(I did not get three years because of my passport validity. I got a new passport and i would like claim rest of my time.) so while i am doing that i would like to apply for my spouse Open Work permit too.

1. Do you guys think it's a good idea to apply together?
Yes, its fine rather recommended, assuming you meet the requirements i.e. hold a skilled job too (NOC 0, A and B) and attach detailed proof of it being skilled job.

2. If we apply together, do you know where they will process our application(like in canada or Singapore which is our Visa Office)
You are already present in Canada, so your application will definitely be processed here. Some times because of being spouse, the same visa officer MIGHT process both apps together. But this is less common due to other issues like evaluating ties to home country, evaluating medicals etc. A local visa office is more skilled in evaluating those. Hence most likely your spouse's application will be processed in her home visa office of Singapore.

3. What can we show for country tie?
If your spouse has had education / work experience in home country or any assets, all of that could be useful for ties. If she doesn't have any, then they would mainly dig deeper into your profile as principal applicant i.e. what you USED to do in home country. If you were well settled enough and more importantly how good / reliable is your current job. Will you likely be able to transition to PR in the meanwhile etc.
Because its a PGWP, i would specially emphasize, get a detailed letter from employer listing job duties / requirements which clearly match (but shouldn't be a copy of) the same NOC. Also your compensation should be median or better than average wage for the same NOC in your province and you should attach a recent pay stub as well as an old one.

4. We have a joint bank account back in my country but don't have that much money. do you think i should still show that joint bank account as a proof of relationship?(We got married on December 2015)
Since marriage is relatively recent and you have been here since, you need to provide any and all evidence you can to show its legitimacy. If that account doesn't have much money, it might not be that important. Do you send her money regularly? Attach proof of that. Some sort of proof of regular contact call chat or mail logs etc. Any thing like if she is the beneficiary in any of your insurances (a spouse should be) would help too.

Here is a little background about us.
We got SINP nomination and submitted our file on 21 October 2016.
My wife just finished her masters and she got rejection for TRV seven months ago.
Did you apply for a short visit TRV? Did you get notes for refusal? What did they cite as reasons? You should cite that in your cover letter and address their points of concern. Example if VO stated he is not satisfied your spouse would be here on a short visit, you should say this time that she intends to live with you for as long as you are here. She is done with her masters so she can start a job here meanwhile your PR is being processed. You should mention about your SINP nomination too. Actually having a PNP nomination gives your freedom to apply even if you don't have a skilled job, but if you do have one, its always better to state that and show explicitly. That greatly improves chances of approval.

I was in a term job and from march 01,2017 i am starting a new permanent job.
5. Do you think i should wait for paycheck of my new job or just offer letter will work?
Offer letter would work if it is detailed enough

I am interested to apply as soon as possible.
Your advice/suggestions will be highly appreciated.

Regards,

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
ursanky said:
Hi All,

I need info on Open work permit.

Currently I'm working in Canada and my wife is also working on open work permit (W1-Worker) in Canada.
Her open work permit is valid till 2018.

My query is ,
can she stay back in Canada till her open work permit expires, If I travelled to India this year?

Thanks.
Yes, she can stay back

rahman2

Star Member
Feb 15, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-10-2016
Nomination.....
06-09-2016
AOR Received.
10-01-2017
fkl said:
Please see answers inline.
Thanks a lot for your in detail answers.
I have a noc B category job and my position is junior software analyst.
Should i just mention about SINP or i should attach nomination certificate and job approval letter?

She applied for 21 days and the rejection reason was new marriage, country tie, travel history limited to nepal and her personal financial issue :( (GCMS note says in detail about this reason.)

Where should i explain about previous rejection?

I am getting this doc list form after submitting question and answer in cic. does this seem correct?

Principle Applicant(PGWP Holder)
-Application to Change Conditions, Extend my Stay or Remain in Canada as a Worker (IMM5710) (required)
-Passport (required)
-Use of a Family Member Representative for Online Applications (IMM5713) (required)
-Marriage License/Certificate (required)
-Digital photo (required)
-Schedule 1 - Application for a Temporary Resident Visa Made Outside Canada (IMM 5257)
- Letter of Explanation

Spouse:
-Application for Work Permit Made Outside of Canada (IMM1295) (required)
- Family Information (IMM5645) (required)
-Passport (required)
- Purpose of Travel - Other (required)
-Digital photo (required)
-Schedule 1 - Application for a Temporary Resident Visa Made Outside Canada (IMM 5257)
-Letter of Explanation

vijay0508

Jul 24, 2016
Hi,

I will be getting a 3-year PGWP in April this year. I will be getting married on 29th of May this year too.
My grad program is part of the PNP program and my skills fall under the category A (computer programming and web design).

My question is, do I need to hold a Job in order to sponsor her open work visa as my spouse? Can I be self-employed with a company where I am a partner with a 20% equity? The company which I am a part of and the work I do for them is related to my grad course. We are currently being incubated at the university as part of my grad course so it is a legitimate operation. We are also a BC registered business with all legal paperwork in place required by the CRA and the provincial government.

If I am unable to sponsor her open work permit based on my PGWP, what other routes can I take so that she is with me in Canada by the end of June?

Thank you all for reading and taking time out of your schedules to help me out.

Best.