+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse Open Work permit

x2013ici

Jan 10, 2016
Did anyone apply for Spousal Open Work Permit (SOWP) from Bangladesh? If anyone knows, could you please share recent experience for SOWP applications? That would be helpful for me.

regards,
Rahman

Netz

Star Member
Sep 30, 2015
bnk545420 said:
Hi I am new to this fourm I am reading all ur discussions every day very useful for everyone.
Here is am letting u guys how to link paper applications online.
Please open an online account with cic on the applicant's name.
Select category as temporary residents
Sub category as: international holiday worker instead of work permit.
Give all the details as usual
Finally u will get 4 questions answer no to all and then submit it will work.
I think it will work because it work for me
Thank You sooo much bro, It did work for my wife application too... and also thnx to hammer..
however type of application says : online application when it was a paper based application.. so I guess that shouldn't be any problem..

GreenHak

Star Member
Dec 18, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
India
NOC Code......
N/A
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-02-2016 - Paper Application
Doc's Request.
Not Requested
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
01-03-2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
Submitted with Application
VISA ISSUED...
04-05-2016
Netz said:
Thank You sooo much bro, It did work for my wife application too... and also thnx to hammer..
however type of application says : online application when it was a paper based application.. so I guess that shouldn't be any problem..
Hi Netz,

Did u try the name and dob combination? Could u help me with the steps u followed?

In personal information, for city of birth, you entered just the city of birth or with the state of birth as mentioned in the passport.

For example If the city of birth is Mumbai you entered just Mumbai or Mumbai, Maharashtra?

Netz

Star Member
Sep 30, 2015
GreenHak said:
Hi Netz,

Did u try the name and dob combination? Could u help me with the steps u followed?

In personal information, for city of birth, you entered just the city of birth or with the state of birth as mentioned in the passport.

For example If the city of birth is Mumbai you entered just Mumbai or Mumbai, Maharashtra?
hello greenhak,

I tried name and dob combination.
city of birth was mumbai i did not mention maharashtra.
i typed all in capital letters. and followed exact process as stated by hammer.. hope that helps.

Sonata95

Jul 23, 2008
fkl said:
My understanding is that by visitor record you mean TRV with residential status (i.e. valid for as long as your study permit, allows health care etc.)

There should be a field for cover letter, attach all documents as a single pdf, put a table of contents and upload as a single doc.

When you apply for extension from inside Canada, you don't need to go to any port of entry. Generally CIC approves the cases and send permits by mail. I have experienced this personally for WP, SOWP and children study permits and I don't think there is any special treatment for a visitor record.

But as others advised, since you have an application in process for a while in India, it might be a good idea to wait for its outcome. Refusals generally come sooner if they are bound to happen.
Hi FKL and All,

could you pls advise my case: my wife studying in Canada currently in Jan'16, my son came to Canada as visitor (TRV) in Jan'16 and then we applied to study to my son (9 years old) inside Canada based on my wife study permit. What do I need to do (inform CIC) for my son because I understand visitor Visa only can stay in Canada 6 months per year. We will send my son to home country during summer ( Jun'16 to Aug'16) and he will back to Canada by end of Aug'16, which document I should prepare so that my son legally come back to Canada to study.

Thanks a lot for your help.

vishal04

Star Member
Sep 7, 2015
pune
Visa Office......
VFS Bangalore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11th February 2016
File Transfer...
12th February 2016
Med's Done....
29th January 2016
VISA ISSUED...
14th March 2016
LANDED..........
soon
Hello Everyone,
I have heard from people that if husband is on study permit in Canada its very difficult to get SOWP visa for wife , you have to wait for his PGWP/PR visa.Is it true ?

I will be starting my course from May 1st , planning to apply for SOWP visa for my wife in May itself , is it a wise decision to apply right now or should we wait for six months and then plan to apply.

Batman4789

Star Member
Oct 25, 2015
Hi fkl,

I am currently living and working in Canada with my post graduation work permit which will expire on oct 2018. I got married in Feb 2016 and I have create a profile of PR for me and my spouse and got a score of 426. ( dint apply for PNP and wil I get invited for OINP) I am sending my spouses academic certificate for elvalution ( will that improve my score?). Give me suggestion to improve the score for PR?

I am currently planning to apply for Spouse Open Work Permit. Can you list me the document that, I have to attached so that it will be a sure shot that my spouse will get the work permit.

Thank You in advance.

Cansh

Jan 7, 2015
Hi. I applied SOWP from within canada(while on TRV) on 1st Dec 2015. Its has been 140+ days and I am still waiting!!!!!!!!

I made an online application and since it is my initial permit I expected it would handled at my home country(India). But the application was actually routed to New York office. They asked me for medicals on 3rd March 2016 and I submitted on 18th March 2016. I can see online status as "Medicals passed". But no progress since then.

I keep calling CIC but they say since it is handled outside canada they cannot do anything about it and I should contact New York office. Only way to contact New York CIC office is via email or using a case specific web form for enquiry. I did both and they are not replying on either.

Did anyone else have their application processed at New York office too? If yes please share your timelines.
Anyone else with any idea on what else I can do please help!!!
I have a job offer subject to OWP condition. So I need my OWP asap!

ssuresh1985

Jul 5, 2015
Hi all,

The hospital has submitted my medicals on April 20th, 2016 . . My attorney informed me that she hasn't received any emails from CIC confirming the receipt of reports from the hospital . . I am now worried about my petition.. How long does it take for them to notify and how long does it take for them to say about what happened to medicals? Please help . .

Thank you for your help

ssuresh1985

Jul 5, 2015
Hi all,

The hospital has submitted my medicals on April 20th, 2016 . . My attorney informed me that she hasn't received any emails from CIC confirming the receipt of reports from the hospital . . I am now worried about my petition.. How long does it take for them to notify and how long does it take for them to say about what happened to medicals? Please help . .

Thank you for your help

Netz

Star Member
Sep 30, 2015
hello every1, any update on mid feb applicants.?

my spouse is 15th feb paper applicaton india (banglore)

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
Sonata95 said:
Hi FKL and All,

could you pls advise my case: my wife studying in Canada currently in Jan'16, my son came to Canada as visitor (TRV) in Jan'16 and then we applied to study to my son (9 years old) inside Canada based on my wife study permit. What do I need to do (inform CIC) for my son because I understand visitor Visa only can stay in Canada 6 months per year. We will send my son to home country during summer ( Jun'16 to Aug'16) and he will back to Canada by end of Aug'16, which document I should prepare so that my son legally come back to Canada to study.

Thanks a lot for your help.
He can apply for an open study permit while being in Canada Or he can even get admission to a school first and then apply for Open study permit. Mainly he needs his mother's study permit, proof of funds for his stay (only CIC requirement) and proof of relationship. Besides CIC may or may not ask for medicals (they often do not do that if you are already in Canada).

School normally won't insist upon study permit for giving admission. They would mainly ask for parent's status document.

One he receives a study permit, he can apply for a trv to enter exit Canada for the same period. That usually takes a month max for some one with a valid study / work permit.

Note that TRV is only required to leave and reenter Canada (except from US). If you are not leaving Canada and have a valid study permit, you can stay here till its expiry without the need of a TRV.

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
vishal04 said:
Hello Everyone,
I have heard from people that if husband is on study permit in Canada its very difficult to get SOWP visa for wife , you have to wait for his PGWP/PR visa.Is it true ?

I will be starting my course from May 1st , planning to apply for SOWP visa for my wife in May itself , is it a wise decision to apply right now or should we wait for six months and then plan to apply.
It's difficult but not impossible. When you are on a study permit, you cannot support your family. So the dependent spouse needs to show proof of funds, plus proof of relationship and also show enough ties to home country to not stay illegally in Canada.

If the spouse has a good profile - decent education cum profession / income in home country, along with available funds for a years, they might have a better chance. Otherwise, it is pretty difficult.

Even with a Post graduate work permit, the principal applicant needs to have a skilled job (NOC 0, A or B) in order for his/her spouse to be eligible for SOWP.

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
Batman4789 said:
Hi fkl,

I am currently living and working in Canada with my post graduation work permit which will expire on oct 2018. I got married in Feb 2016 and I have create a profile of PR for me and my spouse and got a score of 426. ( dint apply for PNP and wil I get invited for OINP) I am sending my spouses academic certificate for elvalution ( will that improve my score?). Give me suggestion to improve the score for PR?

I am currently planning to apply for Spouse Open Work Permit. Can you list me the document that, I have to attached so that it will be a sure shot that my spouse will get the work permit.

Thank You in advance.
Yes there are points for Spouse's Educational credential assessment as well as language test and work experience which might total up to additional 50 points which would make getting ITA possible for you without even OINP.

I really don't like this "list of documents question". I expect people to have at least looked at basic requirements themselves before asking any one. But generally since you are PGWP holder, you need detailed proof of your job being skilled, your PGWP, detailed proof of relationship (for a recent marriage just certificate won't be enough).

And yes if you have applied for PR by then, spouse should be included in the application.