Spouse Open Work permit

mfm

May 13, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
fkl said:
Hi mfm,

If meds passed on Dec. 24, its not enough time passed to be worried in any way. Hopefully PPR should be coming in soon. This is not delay IMHO. Another 10 days or so and you should get PPR hopefully.
Thanks! Hope it comes soon....

syed_muzaffar

Jan 12, 2016
env said:
Hey mfm it was a holiday time period (Christmas & new year) , possibly thats the reason of delay here.

Can you plz share your timelines here, when did you submit sowp application, how long it took to get that medical request ?
Hi there, same time frame i am also facing, medical passed on 24 Dec, Still waiting for passport request, its been around 42 Days after medical, applied on SOWP, please let me know if other are facing same delay issues, also please let me know after getting passport request in how many days they will send back , thanks

aprillee

Star Member
Dec 8, 2015
my spouse is coming to Canada this week, he has an open work permit so he needs to find a NOC 0, A, B job and only then I can apply for a SOWP. How long do you think he should work before I fill out the application form? Is 1 month enough?

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
aprillee said:
my spouse is coming to Canada this week, he has an open work permit so he needs to find a NOC 0, A, B job and only then I can apply for a SOWP. How long do you think he should work before I fill out the application form? Is 1 month enough?
Immediately once he has proof of having a skilled job (NOC 0, A or B). There is no time frame.

dipica

Aug 21, 2013
SINP
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Sydney
App. Filed.......
24-05-2016
Doc's Request.
18-11-2016
Nomination.....
18-03-2016
AOR Received.
18-08-2016
Med's Request
08-06-2017
Med's Done....
15-06-2017
LANDED..........
Landed
HI,

Can anyone help me in some information regarding Spouse open work permit.
We got married in Oct, 2015 in usa and he is in usa right now.
So, should we apply from Canada or usa or India ?

I have open work permit till 2018 with NOC B level JOb in Saskatchewan and will be filling his SINP with me. But with SINP he cannot work in other provinces. So, we thought before we apply for SINP in Feb this year, we should apply work permit before.

What do you thing from where to apply with fast processing time ?

Thanks in advance.

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
dipica said:
HI,

Can anyone help me in some information regarding Spouse open work permit.
We got married in Oct, 2015 in usa and he is in usa right now.
So, should we apply from Canada or usa or India ?

I have open work permit till 2018 with NOC B level JOb in Saskatchewan and will be filling his SINP with me. But with SINP he cannot work in other provinces. So, we thought before we apply for SINP in Feb this year, we should apply work permit before.

What do you thing from where to apply with fast processing time ?

Thanks in advance.
You cannot just chose where to apply from. The only options are current country of residence (visitor status doesn't count) and country of citizenship.

Assuming he is in the US on a visit visa, he cannot apply from US. If he is there for longer like on H1B or study permit, he can apply from there.

Plus he can always submit application online. But it is still processed by the same rules i.e. the visa office of his country of residence or citizenship will handle and their processing time would apply

dipica

Aug 21, 2013
SINP
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Sydney
App. Filed.......
24-05-2016
Doc's Request.
18-11-2016
Nomination.....
18-03-2016
AOR Received.
18-08-2016
Med's Request
08-06-2017
Med's Done....
15-06-2017
LANDED..........
Landed
Thanks for the information, He is on OPT in usa, so I think he has to apply from usa. Thanks

NBHH

Jun 17, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
20-07-2016
Passport Req..
02-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
13-12-2016
Hi all,

just want to ask a question. Both me and my spouse are working under PGWP which will expire on June 2016. We both plan to apply study permit as we plan to do our master degree on start on June 2016. My question is, can we also BOTH apply SOWP use each other's study permit?
Thanks

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
NBHH said:
Hi all,

just want to ask a question. Both me and my spouse are working under PGWP which will expire on June 2016. We both plan to apply study permit as we plan to do our master degree on start on June 2016. My question is, can we also BOTH apply SOWP use each other's study permit?
Thanks
Not sure what you are trying to achieve here. But no one can say that for sure except the visa officer who reviews it. Generally speaking if you hold a study permit, you cannot hold a full time work permit. The conditions written on each would be kind of contradictory. "Study permit would say not allowed to work" vs work permit would say "Not allowed to study". Now I have held two valid work permits at the same time (one issued in the past and received a new one while existing wasn't expired (for different employers). But I doubt that could apply to study + work permit.

Actual concern would be, why would you want to do that? If you both wish to study and work part time, you would already get a limited work permit with your study permit allowing you to work for limited hours. What else do you wish to achieve?

I am pretty sure CIC VO would wonder the same and would likely refuse the dependent application. I would also worry that it might risk the genuineness of study permit application in doubt. Just individual opinion.

guillecr

Star Member
Oct 14, 2015
Any advise of which documents should i have to flagpole? i'm planning to go by the beginning of February to the border with Montana.

Eshaa

Jan 9, 2016
guillecr said:
Any advise of which documents should i have to flagpole? i'm planning to go by the beginning of February to the border with Montana.
I work here as a TFW - NOC Skill A and my husband just got his SOWP at POE ( YYZ Intl airport) yesterday. He had a valid dependant visitor TRV.

List of documents he was carrying :-
Copy of my WP and Visa
Copies of my recent pay stubs, bank acct stmnts, letter from my employer and my existing job contract offer
Our marriage certificate
My address/contact details

The Officer was pretty pleased with his documents.

An approval totally depends on the discretion of the individual immigration officer. But it's worth a try in my opinion as the online app processing times are too long.

guillecr

Star Member
Oct 14, 2015
Eshaa said:
I work here as a TFW - NOC Skill A and my husband just got his SOWP at POE ( YYZ Intl airport) yesterday. He had a valid dependant visitor TRV.

List of documents he was carrying :-
Copy of my WP and Visa
Copies of my recent pay stubs, bank acct stmnts, letter from my employer and my existing job contract offer
Our marriage certificate
My address/contact details

The Officer was pretty pleased with his documents.

An approval totally depends on the discretion of the individual immigration officer. But it's worth a try in my opinion as the online app processing times are too long.
I tried to do it at POE (Toronto International Airport) i have been told that because we are from a country that need visa (My wife have Visitor Visa) we can not process the permit there. so thats why i trying to go to the land border.

Thank you so much for the information.

Eshaa

Jan 9, 2016
guillecr said:
I tried to do it at POE (Toronto International Airport) i have been told that because we are from a country that need visa (My wife have Visitor Visa) we can not process the permit there. so thats why i trying to go to the land border.

That's right as that's what the CIC website states and some of my colleagues too were told the same thing when they tried at airport.
But we tried and luckily for us it worked. Hence, I said it's totally at the discretion of the individual officer you're dealing with, be it at airport or at land border via flag poling.

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
guillecr said:

The rules are same for either airport or land border. The actual difference is - if you are already admitted to Canada on a valid dependent trv / work permit status and you are coming back from US (border or airport) you technically do not require a visa to enter Canada. This is only specific to US and obviously you either need a visa to enter US or you do flag pole.

Using the above exemption "since you do not require visa to enter Canada", you can get work permit at border.

It might be the case for some officers for personal discretion, but above is the law.

I know it, have done that exactly (while holding one work permit went to border to get a new work permit) while NOT belonging to a visa exempt country. And I carried documentation prepared by employer's lawyer which quoted specific sections of CBSA laws which allow this.