+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse Open Work permit

ashek1520

Aug 22, 2012
Hi,
I am trying to apply for spousal open permit online. Is there a different application for spousal open work permt and other open work permit. I am asking this because in a previous message "alijumani" mentioned in his point "b" that

b) When applying online it only show limited attachment section such as open work permit, schedule 1, passport copy, proof of relation and letter of explanation. So, how can I provide my copy of PGWP and employment letter?
When I open my online application and go to the upload page I see following option to upload:
  • Application for Work Permit Made Outside of Canada (IMM1295) (required)
  • Passport or Travel document (required)
  • Digital Photo (required)
  • Request for Medical Exam (required)
  • Optional documents, which has two upload button 1. letter of explanation, upload schedule1
I don't see any option "proof of relation" in my application as mentioned by alijumani.
Also, when I see the check list for open work permit, the checklist needs "Family Information from (IMM 5645)" where can I upload this file?

@ fkl, you have answered many question that I had for applying online, so thanks :)

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
ashek1520 said:
Hi,
I am trying to apply for spousal open permit online. Is there a different application for spousal open work permt and other open work permit. I am asking this because in a previous message "alijumani" mentioned in his point "b" that

When I open my online application and go to the upload page I see following option to upload:
  • Application for Work Permit Made Outside of Canada (IMM1295) (required)
  • Passport or Travel document (required)
  • Digital Photo (required)
  • Request for Medical Exam (required)
  • Optional documents, which has two upload button 1. letter of explanation, upload schedule1
I don't see any option "proof of relation" in my application as mentioned by alijumani.
Also, when I see the check list for open work permit, the checklist needs "Family Information from (IMM 5645)" where can I upload this file?

@ fkl, you have answered many question that I had for applying online, so thanks :)
You are most welcome.

There are no two types of application. It is the same. Just upload most of your docs as a single pdf file with a title document listing WHAT you are including and put it under "Letter of explanation". There is one generic "Work permit application". For (spousal) open work permit, you just chose the "type" of wp as "open". But i think there is some question in the initial list of questions which generates your application, asks "Are you dependent of a principal applicant already in Canada on a study / work permit".

Family information form should show up as part of your application. It is always there. If not, please go through the online questionnaire again and make sure it is included.

Lasgidi007

Jan 7, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Doc's Request.
Waived
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
N/A
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
07-02-2014
Med's Done....
11-02-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Waived.
VISA ISSUED...
Visa Issued 10-03-2014
LANDED..........
April 2014
fkl said:
Appreciate that. Thank you. It just built up out of frustration when my own process took a long time (where as it was quite unanticipated - considering details of the case), i was hanging in the middle for a long time, irritated and tried to be better informed by reading as much i could on my own situation.

It was during that course i realized, i have come to know a bit more and perhaps can help to avoid the same situation for others.

Usually once people are established in Canada, they tend to visit forum rarely, let alone respond to some one. It doesn't take much time in general, you occasionally take a quick look and answer stuff you can. But it goes a LONG WAY for some one stuck in between. I know, i have been there...

So the message is, try doing the same to others. All the best.
Brilliant! Thanks! :)

Reactions: Etjigger

ashek1520

Aug 22, 2012
Family information form should show up as part of your application. It is always there. If not, please go through the online questionnaire again and make sure it is included.
Probably you meant that there should be an extra upload tab to upload family information form right?

Also can my spouse set her medical done before filing the application or she should wait for their request?

thanks

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
ashek1520 said:
Probably you meant that there should be an extra upload tab to upload family information form right?

Also can my spouse set her medical done before filing the application or she should wait for their request?

thanks
Yeah, it has to be there in the generated list of forms needed for application.

Upfront medical varies from visa office to another. At some, it is needed along with the application. For others CIC tells you to do it only when they send you a letter for medical. However, even in such cases, you can always get it done before hand if you are in a hurry. Just that clearly tell the Medical practitioner this, and they would give you EITHER the results of medical themselves which you have to send to CIC when they ask for it OR they give you some record id / etc. which you have to use again whne CIC calls for medical to tell CIC that you were done with it already.

Maling

Jan 11, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi (online)
NOC Code......
N/A (SOWP)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-12-2013
AOR Received.
26-12-2013
Med's Request
N/A
Hi guys, just need some help. I received a message in my personal email from CIC stating that my application has been updated. It says that I should sign in to mycic account to know more information regarding the update or message. But when I logged in, there is no message and the status is just the same which says open. Its kinda weird. Shall I just ignore it or I should find a way to know the update / message? Thanks

saleemjosh

Star Member
May 5, 2009
fkl said:
You are most welcome.

There are no two types of application. It is the same. Just upload most of your docs as a single pdf file with a title document listing WHAT you are including and put it under "Letter of explanation". There is one generic "Work permit application". For (spousal) open work permit, you just chose the "type" of wp as "open". But i think there is some question in the initial list of questions which generates your application, asks "Are you dependent of a principal applicant already in Canada on a study / work permit".

Hi, I have a question and i really appreciate your inputs.
I applied for TWP (open work permit) in November 2013. Now I received passport request. When I applied my wife also applied for (spouse) open work permit. CIC did not send any e mail about her passport.
I and my wife both have TRVs valid until 2017 and 2015 respectively.
1. I am wondering CIC did not ask for my wife passport as she already have one TRV?
2. Will she get work permit at the border crossing?
3. What visa does spouse get when he/she applies for open work permit? is it TRV/visitor visa? or something else?
Any input will be appreciated. Thank you

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
saleemjosh said:
Hi, I have a question and i really appreciate your inputs.
I applied for TWP (open work permit) in November 2013. Now I received passport request. When I applied my wife also applied for (spouse) open work permit. CIC did not send any e mail about her passport.
I and my wife both have TRVs valid until 2017 and 2015 respectively.
1. I am wondering CIC did not ask for my wife passport as she already have one TRV?
2. Will she get work permit at the border crossing?
3. What visa does spouse get when he/she applies for open work permit? is it TRV/visitor visa? or something else?
Any input will be appreciated. Thank you
Hi saleemjosh,

Your status is a bit vague for me to understand so i will state it here first, before answering your questions:

What makes you eligible for OPEN work permit? The temp work permit that is offered to citizens of other countries is tied to an employer and is closed mostly requiring an LMO. The other possibility is that your spouse had a closed one and you are applying on his/her behalf for an open work permit.
When you said, "you and your wife applied together", does that mean as a single family case, where you were the principal applicant and she was the dependent?

Now to answer your questions:

1) If you applied together, your wife's passport request should come soon as well. Else email and ask them, and WAIT for a couple days at least since you should try sending them together. Having TRV does not have any impact because the type of TRV issued for a work permit is different (whether spousal or principal applicant, it is still W-1), where as for a visitor it is V-1.

2) Every one who is from a country requiring visa to enter Canada even for visit OR is applying for a live-in caregiver CANNOT be granted a work permit at airport / border. Okay, the actual work permit is a document issued at the aiport in all cases, but we have to apply in our home country and get approval from CIC that we receive back with passports called "Letter of introduction". It clearly says "your application to work/study in Canada has been approved and you would be issued a work permit at the port of entry, provided the officer there is satisfied" (which they usually are) unless you are missing documents. Nationals of countries who do not require a visit visa to enter canada can skip this step, just have an LMO and can get a work permit issued at the port of entry.

3) Already answered, the visa is a trv stamped on your passport BUT ITS TYPE IS W-1. Yours would be same i.e. W-1 because you are a worker. For a normal visitor (not a worker) it is V-1. For a student it is S-1.

Lastly, remember you would also get your ACTUAL WORK PERMIT at the port of entry. All you receive from your local embassy is the approval called "letter of introduction" that you present at the border.

Hope that helps.

Rainy_w

Feb 13, 2014
Hi, I'm a newbie here and hope to have some answers and help!

I graduated from my Master program last May and I work in a regional municipality in Ontario after graduation. I'm on PGWP, which lasts until June 2016. My job is NOC A, and this position is a permanent one. I am hoping to get married recently and apply for CEC with him together this June.

I have a few questions:
1. Can I apply for OWP for him? He was rejected for his Study Permit back in 2012.
2. Will the chances of getting his OWP higher if we apply for it after submitting our application for CEC?
3. He is currently in China, should he submit the OWP application in China or in Canada (online)? I couldn't find any list of documents to prepare for on the Chinese website, maybe they do not accept this kind of application?

Thank you in advance!!! Please reply... :'(

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
Rainy_w said:
Hi, I'm a newbie here and hope to have some answers and help!

I graduated from my Master program last May and I work in a regional municipality in Ontario after graduation. I'm on PGWP, which lasts until June 2016. My job is NOC A, and this position is a permanent one. I am hoping to get married recently and apply for CEC with him together this June.

I have a few questions:
1. Can I apply for OWP for him? He was rejected for his Study Permit back in 2012.
2. Will the chances of getting his OWP higher if we apply for it after submitting our application for CEC?
3. He is currently in China, should he submit the OWP application in China or in Canada (online)? I couldn't find any list of documents to prepare for on the Chinese website, maybe they do not accept this kind of application?

Thank you in advance!!! Please reply... :'(
1. Sure you can apply for OWP for him AFTER you are married and have legal proof. If the marriage is recent, you would have to submit additional proofs to convince it is legitimate. It can include things like wedding pictures, reservations / tickets of honey moon, invitation card of ceremony etc.

2. Could be, i am not really sure about this. Chances would definitely be higher if you were already a PR, applied for your spousal PR and tried an OWP while PR app is in process. Otherwise it raises a question that why didn't a spouse apply for a PR while her other half is already a PR. Since you are yet to apply, i don't think it makes much of a difference. Still it is just my gut feeling that if you guys already have a PR app in process, it kind of removes the concerns of "not returning after work permit expires".

3. Online application does not mean it is processed IN CANADA. Most likely it is still processed in China although in exceptions it is easier for CIC to process an application at another visa office if it was submitted online. He cannot apply in Canada since he is living in China. I am not sure what list of docs you are talking about but the online application system is the same globally. It is only local office submission which differ in regulations. I would recommend applying online but that is what your (to be) spouse has to do, attaching all supporting docs like evidence of marriage, your PGWP, job offer, pay stubs, bank statement etc. in addition to his own credentials.

saleemjosh

Star Member
May 5, 2009
Hi Fkl,
Thanks for your inputs.
Here are the details of my/our case.
1. I applied for open work permit as the CIC website suggested. My application does not need LMO. I did not have LMO. I have postdoc position offer and I applied for work permit. CIC website suggested me that I am eligible for open work permit.
2. In my work permit application as she is dependent, The CIC prompted/suggested that she is eligible for applying open work permit. So she submitted the paperwork for open work permit.
3. As you pointed out that I should be receiving an e mail from CIC that her application is approved.
I am going to wait for few days and send an email to CIC/NY embassy.
Thank you once again.

Rainy_w

Feb 13, 2014
Thank you for your prompt response fkl! Your answers are really helpful!

1. My bf and I have been together for almost 6 years, we have pic taken from different places and we went to Singapore together few years ago (with stamps on both of our passports). However, as I am working full-time, i don't have time for wedding at this moment. Do you think it is okay if i submit our marriage certificate, pictures, postcards sent to him from Canada, and copy of my plane tickets (i fly back to china almost 4 times a year to see him)?

2. I'm sure that I meet all the requirements for CEC, but without a confirmation from CIC that I qualify for PR, is it a bit risky to apply for his OWP? Because it seems like we already decided to immgrate, which potentially conflicts to "return after work permit expires"?

3. This answer is really helpful! I was so confused because when i applied for my study permit back in 2011 in China, it was all physical documents without any online app process.

I really appreciate your help! Thank you!!

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
saleemjosh said:
Hi Fkl,
Thanks for your inputs.
Here are the details of my/our case.
1. I applied for open work permit as the CIC website suggested. My application does not need LMO. I did not have LMO. I have postdoc position offer and I applied for work permit. CIC website suggested me that I am eligible for open work permit.
2. In my work permit application as she is dependent, The CIC prompted/suggested that she is eligible for applying open work permit. So she submitted the paperwork for open work permit.
3. As you pointed out that I should be receiving an e mail from CIC that her application is approved.
I am going to wait for few days and send an email to CIC/NY embassy.
Thank you once again.
You are most welcome.

Okay, probably this part skipped my mind that in addition to being LMO exempt, a post doc also gets an open work permit instead of a closed one. Rest is pretty clear. For any one with a skilled job, spouse and kids are eligible for open work / study permits or trvs in case of younger kids.

You should receive a passport request for your wife, similar to your case. Once your applications are approved, you will get an email from CIC which contains approval letter called "Letter of Introduction" for each of you. You have to be carrying a print out of this letter along with other docs while landing.

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
Rainy_w said:
Thank you for your prompt response fkl! Your answers are really helpful!

1. My bf and I have been together for almost 6 years, we have pic taken from different places and we went to Singapore together few years ago (with stamps on both of our passports). However, as I am working full-time, i don't have time for wedding at this moment. Do you think it is okay if i submit our marriage certificate, pictures, postcards sent to him from Canada, and copy of my plane tickets (i fly back to china almost 4 times a year to see him)?

2. I'm sure that I meet all the requirements for CEC, but without a confirmation from CIC that I qualify for PR, is it a bit risky to apply for his OWP? Because it seems like we already decided to immgrate, which potentially conflicts to "return after work permit expires"?

3. This answer is really helpful! I was so confused because when i applied for my study permit back in 2011 in China, it was all physical documents without any online app process.

I really appreciate your help! Thank you!!
You are most welcome.

1. I am slightly confused by part of your statement. Are you intending to apply AFTER formal marriage or WITHOUT it? You can do either but proofs vary from situation as well as the application.

a) If you apply without marriage, you have to fill forms for "Common Law" union and submit proofs of living together for at least 2 years i think. Flying back to China does not qualify for that, no matter how often. I have seen people submitting proofs such as car / house lease showing both names, bank accounts showing both names or individual documents of both partners, showing the same address. All of this does qualify provided YOU ARE CLAIMING TO BE LIVING TOGETHER which i believe is not the case with you.

b) Hence marriage is necessary. Once they try to validate marriage, all of the stuff you mentioned would definitely help and i encourage you to submit at least some of that unsolicited.

2. PR is NOT a condition to apply for spousal open work permit. He can just apply for spousal open work permit, if you are working in NOC 0, A or B and have a work permit.

In fact if you apply for PR and do it for yourself alone, his spousal work permit would look odd alone. So either you

* get married, put a PR application for both and latter apply for his spousal open work permit
* OR simply get married and apply for his spousal open work permit

Hope it clarifies....

saleemjosh

Star Member
May 5, 2009
fkl said:
You are most welcome.

Okay, probably this part skipped my mind that in addition to being LMO exempt, a post doc also gets an open work permit instead of a closed one. Rest is pretty clear. For any one with a skilled job, spouse and kids are eligible for open work / study permits or trvs in case of younger kids.

You should receive a passport request for your wife, similar to your case. Once your applications are approved, you will get an email from CIC which contains approval letter called "Letter of Introduction" for each of you. You have to be carrying a print out of this letter along with other docs while landing.
Thanks Fkl for the information, I really appreciate it. I am waiting for the NY embassy reply.