+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse Open Work permit

Charan1990

Star Member
Sep 21, 2017
Dear Friends,

I am confused with 2 things. Temporary Resident Visa - TRV & Spouse Open Work Permit - SOWP

My Question is:

If a person's SOWP Application is approved (Suppose , Applicant is from India) then can he directly travel to Canada with only his SOWP Approved Document.? Is only SOWP is enough to travel to Canada & Work?

Or After his SOWP approved then he has to apply for his Temporary Residence Visa?

Thanks & Best Regards

Only SOWP would suffice.

It itself is an work permit and your open to work to any employer.

Reactions: info78

Nobod

Sep 28, 2017
hi Guys,

I have applied the SOWP for my spouse who is in India currently on 29th June, paper based @VFS bangalore....the file is still being processed and its been more than 4 months since I have applied , mailed them numerous times ..no update and no reply yet
only update I got it
medicals passed
review of eligibility ..under process
background check..under process..

any suggestions or inputs on how much till indefinite would prolong ..?

Thanks
Same here, sent July the 1st, online. 4 months waiting as well, you're not alone

info78

Oct 3, 2017
hi Guys,

I have applied the SOWP for my spouse who is in India currently on 29th June, paper based @VFS bangalore....the file is still being processed and its been more than 4 months since I have applied , mailed them numerous times ..no update and no reply yet
only update I got it
medicals passed
review of eligibility ..under process
background check..under process..

any suggestions or inputs on how much till indefinite would prolong ..?

Thanks
Dear Manoj,
As per CIC Website Processing Time From India is 14 Weeks, In your case it is around 17 weeks, So I think you can send a CASE SPECIFIC ENQUIRY to New Delhi.
Link For Case Specific Enquiry
https://secure.cic.gc.ca/enquiries-renseignements/case-cas-eng.aspx?mission=new+delhi&AspxAutoDetectCookieSupport=1

I hope the above information will help you.
Thanks & Best Regards

Last edited:

info78

Oct 3, 2017
Hi info78

CIC will stamp TRV on passport and when you land in Canada , the immigration officer will provide OWP
Hi Anncs,
Thank you for the reply. Well Clear Information. Thank you so much.
Thanks & Best Regards

Last edited:

info78

Oct 3, 2017
Only SOWP would suffice.

It itself is an work permit and your open to work to any employer.
Dear Brother,
We need 2 documents. 1) TRV - Temporary Residence Visa , 2)OWP - Open Work Permit
When CIC ASK FOR PPR they will stamp TRV on passport and on your arrival at Canada Airport the immigration officer will provide OWP at the Airport

Thanks & Best Regards.

Last edited:

info78

Oct 3, 2017
Info78,

TRV is the visa which will be stamped on your passport, SOWP is a sheet of paper which will be separate from your passport but you must always keep it with you when you'll cross the border to leave Canada for somewhere, without SOWP you cannot re-enter to Canada.

Hi Antoshka,

Thank you for the reply. Well Clear Information. Thank you so much.

Thanks & Best Regards

Fatima Hassan

Sep 3, 2017
Dear Brother,

We need 2 documents. 1) TRV - Temporary Residence Visa , 2)OWP - Open Work Permit

CIC will stamp TRV on passport and when you land in Canada , the immigration officer will provide OWP.

Thanks & Best Regards.
Pls reply my answer aswell..
My husband applied my work permit last year but unluckly it rejected.. in july we aoplied for permanent residence we got aor in September..now my husband got work permit extension so he can apply for my work permit again.. pls tell me which documents are necassary.. im outside canada while husband is in canada..we also have a daughter

info78

Oct 3, 2017
My husband applied my work permit last year but unluckly it rejected.. in july we aoplied for permanent residence we got aor in September..now my husband got work permit extension so he can apply for my work permit again.. pls tell me which documents are necassary.. im outside canada while husband is in canada..we also have a daughter
Hi Fatima,
For your reference Please read the Post #5679, Page No.379 Posted by Anncs. She explained there what are the documents usually we need.

In your case I think your Husband is PNP holder , So you can attach PNP Nomination Letter as well.
Also Communication details.
1)Skype Call History - You can take Skype call history Screenshot and then paste it in to a Word File - 1 Month History is enough I believe. After making as a word document check the file size (If it is a big file split it in to smaller size document) then make it in to a PDF Document. For Online application each document size should be less than 4 mb. After you made the file as a PDF suppose the size is bigger than 4 mb then optimize the file.
2) Whatsapp chat history - Do the same like Skype ( You can use whatsapp Web - So you can take the screenshot on a computer which is really easy)
3) Email History - Between you and husband. (Do the same like above)
your husband/you can create an CIC Account to Apply Online. About the daughter i have no idea what to do. I am really sorry.
I would like to know your citizenship country and current country of residence. Because Some Embassy take more time to process the application. Processing time vary depend on many factors.
Why don't you think about to apply for a Visit Visa for you and your daughter. Usually Visit Visa Processing take less time. Suppose if you both get a visit visa to Canada then after you both are there you can apply for SOWP . Application from Canada Will take less time. Current Processing time is 11 Weeks.
I am a new member, but even though if i can give you some advise or help you i will do my best .

Thanks & Best Regards

Last edited:

info78

Oct 3, 2017
Take enough time before you apply, Make all the necessary documents then apply.

I wish you all the best.

Last edited:

info78

Oct 3, 2017
I think I am the only one here without any application update. Currently My file is taking more processing time , almost 5.5 months.
I started to use this Website to know information about SOWP at first.
Then I understand that everyone have same situations like me. Confusion, Tension and so on. What all we can do is Just wait and hope for the best about SOWP Application.
I wish you all good luck and all the best for your application.

Last edited:

info78

Oct 3, 2017
Dear Seniors & Applicants,

My wife's OWP & TRV will expire on 30/03/2018. She already received her PNP and PR application AOR.
So my question is what are the required documents my wife need to apply for BOWP and the right time to apply?
Also can she apply for both BOWP & TRV at the same time ? or TRV only after BOWP get approved?
Online Application or Paper Application is better & safe? She will apply through a lawyer only.
And there is chance that it will affect my application?

Thanks & Best Regards.

Last edited:

Charan1990

Star Member
Sep 21, 2017
Dear Brother,

CIC will stamp TRV on passport and when you land in Canada , the immigration officer will provide OWP.

Thanks & Best Regards.
Ok.
In that case how long will our TRV be valid?
If OWP will be granted in Canada, then i guess we have to carry all the documents of our spouse in canada again.

info78

Oct 3, 2017
Ok.
In that case how long will our TRV be valid?
If OWP will be granted in Canada, then i guess we have to carry all the documents of our spouse in canada again.
TRV And OWP Validity usually as same as sponsor document.
When CIC ask for PPR they will stamp TRV - Worker on passport and on your arrival at Canada Airport the immigration officer will provide OWP at the Airport.
If an applicant applied for a visit visa then TRV - Visitor
If an applicant applied for a Study Permit then TRV - Student
If an applicant applied for a OWP then TRV - Worker
Thanks & Best Regards.

Last edited: