+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse Open Work permit

etcoflife

Jan 12, 2017
Dear seniors,
Kindly guide me on a situation.
I am from India. I applied online for a SOWP for my wife and she passed medical. Just before that I have received my own TRV and invitation letter. I got admission in a PhD program so SP for me and SOWP for her.
Yesterday got a request for passport submission for her and in the letter there was a line "A decision has been made on your application. We require your passport to finalize".
What does that mean? Approved or not approved? And what are the cases that may happen now? In the worst case what I must do? I just want to keep myself prepared for the worst situation as I do not have much time.
Kindly help me.

priyabhee

Sep 23, 2015
If they request for a passport and medicals were also been passed ,as per my investigation 99% it's a positive reflection.
Once you submit your passport..within 1 week you will get a message stating your application is approved/rejected as you applied online.
Hope you have positive results.
Btw when did u apply for sowp
Can you share the timeline

abhilasha

Nov 23, 2016
Hi everyone,

I have applied online for SOWP on 30th December 2016 and my husband is an international student.
I have shown funds of 2000 CAD FD of mine,800 CAD as my PPF and 3500 CAD FD of my husband.
I am currently working as an Assistant Manager-HR,so I have shown my 6 months salary slips and IT return too.
Apart from this I have shown my bank statement of 6 months with 10,000 CAD which my parents gifted me in December for my expenses in Canada just 10 days before I applied for my visa.
Are these sufficient as proof of funds or something else can be added,I am really worried as I can see so many members in the group whose visa got rejected because of insufficient fund.
As of now only my medical got passed,after that no more updates.

DVRT

Star Member
Nov 8, 2016
rabrakha said:
Hi

I applied for sowp (paper based, Chandigarh) on 25 august, 2016. On 23rd jan,17 I got a medical request. I done the medicals on 31st from Max e medical, Mohali.

What I expect in future?
Hi, I have also got Medical request for SOWP and today i am done with it...Could you please tell me that do we have to upload that E-Tracking Sheet provided by the doctor on CIC site..
Thanks

etcoflife

Jan 12, 2017
priyabhee said:
If they request for a passport and medicals were also been passed ,as per my investigation 99% it's a positive reflection.
Once you submit your passport..within 1 week you will get a message stating your application is approved/rejected as you applied online.
Hope you have positive results.
Btw when did u apply for sowp
Can you share the timeline
My SP (online Ahmedabad):
Dec 24 - Applied
Jan 3 - Req for Med
Jan 16 - Req for pass
Jan 20 - Invitation letter (TRV approved)

My wife (online):
Dec 24 - Applied
Jan 3 - Req for Med

Note: This is just to make you aware. I did my medical from Ahmedabad and passed without any problems. My wife who stays in Kolkata did the same from Kolkata. I personally think the doctor from Kolkata is a fraud. Beware ! In Kolkata they said that my wife is positively tested for something and need further tests and consultation and etc etc. I double checked the same from one of the best diagnostics and found nothing (absolutely nothing). So I did not believed that doctor who according to me was trying to cheat us along with his other doctor friends with more tests and visits. So friends please beware !
Money is not a problem but I could not accept the fact that CIC will have a medical history on her record. I immediately flew her to Ahmedabad and consulted the panel physicians here. They helped me and she passed without any record.
I will complain CIC about this if she gets approved.
In short this process took unnecessary time. Just to let you guys know who stay near Kolkata.

Feb 1 - Req for pass
Next - Waiting

Thanks

pricilla

Jan 25, 2017
Hi all again actually i wanted to ask something like

everything set now but i was wondering which way is best and what time is good

is it best to take my owpermit in toronto or vancouver and im a bit afraid that they call the place where my husband was working so is it good
i arrive in toronto at 5 am so they wont call at his previous workplace

Thanks a lot for helping

pricilla

Jan 25, 2017
pricilla said:

is it best to take my owpermit in toronto or vancouver and im a bit afraid that they call the place where my husband was working so is it good

Thanks a lot for helping

Anyone please tell me as i will be taking flight on next week

Thanks

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
pricilla said:

Thanks a lot for helping
If they have reason to doubt your husband's employer, then they will make you sit until they can actually verify it through whatever means. So 5 am or any other time won't really be relevant.

But this is very very unlikely.

Legally speaking (as i probably said before) you are a dependent and your spouse currently has a valid work permit with a skilled job (being fired from job doesn't invalidate the work permit).

At max they would verify with the spouse (your husband) and might call him or something.

In practice, this doesn't happen. I don't know of a single person first hand, for whom CBSA tried calling any one. They look at the papers and if they are complete, they would issue the permit, period.

So you are needlessly worried IMHO.

dcl

Feb 4, 2017
Hi
Hoping someone may have experience with this:

My wife is Canadian and living and working in Canada. I have stayed in Canada on a visitor visa and have an address and a lease there with my wife, but had to return to Australia to work (as I work in health, there are restrictions on my ability to obtain a standard work permit). Whilst there we applied for a paper inland spousal visa with open work permit for myself. This was in November 2016 and not heard back as yet.
My questions:
1 Do I have to be in Canada whilst I wait for the open work permit?
2 how long is the processing time for an open work permit?

I have tried to get some answers from CIC about these questions to no avail, so hope someone here may know

Thanks!

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
dcl said:
Hi
Hoping someone may have experience with this:

My wife is Canadian and living and working in Canada. I have stayed in Canada on a visitor visa and have an address and a lease there with my wife, but had to return to Australia to work (as I work in health, there are restrictions on my ability to obtain a standard work permit). Whilst there we applied for a paper inland spousal visa with open work permit for myself. This was in November 2016 and not heard back as yet.
My questions:
1 Do I have to be in Canada whilst I wait for the open work permit?
Yes, Inland application actually means that you should be living / working in Canada at least most of the time. Short visit outside is okay, entirely being outside isn't.

2 how long is the processing time for an open work permit?
Normally it should be with in two months. But in your particular case, its hard to say.

I have tried to get some answers from CIC about these questions to no avail, so hope someone here may know

Thanks!
I am not quite sure what you meant when you said, i have a lease there. Yes your wife is a citizen, but what you was your status beyond being a visitor which only lasts six months.

Unless CIC is clear on your a) current status i.e. you do not over stay illegally in Canada as a visitor b) For an inland PR sponsorship application, you should be staying in Canada.

If you work in health you just require an additional medical examination, the result of which could be attached to your application. I am not sure what else do you foresee.

rabrakha

Champion Member
Dec 4, 2013
chandigarh
Visa Office......
chandigarh
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
Ainp applied 18 may 2016, File No July,15, 2016. PR applied 29 dec 2016
Doc's Request.
August 22, 2016
Nomination.....
28 Sep 2016
AOR Received.
AOR PR 15 feb 2017
IELTS Request
6(R-5.5,W-6,S-6,L-6.5)
File Transfer...
5-dec-2013-GENERAL-UNIERSITY
Med's Request
pre medical done
Med's Done....
PR Med 8 Jan 2018
Interview........
Study visa 31-dec-2013
Passport Req..
PPR PP req and DM: sep 12, 2018
VISA ISSUED...
31-dec-2013
LANDED..........
13-january-2014, PR Landing: 7 Oct,2018
DVRT said:
Hi, I have also got Medical request for SOWP and today i am done with it...Could you please tell me that do we have to upload that E-Tracking Sheet provided by the doctor on CIC site..
Thanks
Hi
Where you have applied?
Hospital sent the medical to the consulate, chandigarh. I have also sent my passport and sheet via vfs chandigarh

DVRT

Star Member
Nov 8, 2016
rabrakha said:
Hi
Where you have applied?
Hospital sent the medical to the consulate, chandigarh. I have also sent my passport and sheet via vfs chandigarh
I applied online....on Nov 11....got medical request on 2nd feb and completed it on 3rd feb....Do i need to sent to my e-tracking sheet to consulate, chandigarh because my case is being processed by them..