+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse name change in passport

jigs040

Apr 19, 2017
Hello All,

We are married in May 2016 and i'm primary applicant for the Express Entry. My spouse (she) got her passport before the marriage in 2013. We are in USA on H1B visa and got married in USA and have marriage certificate from USA itself. We are all done with IELTS and ECA and created express entry profile and waiting for ITA.

Question is
1) Do i need to get my passport update with my spouse information?
2) Would my spouse need to get her passport update with my information?
3) If we don't update passport would that create any problem in express entry at later stage ?

I would appreciate if someone can answer or advise on this.

Thanks in Advance !!

craig123

Jul 7, 2017
Hello All,

We are married in May 2016 and i'm primary applicant for the Express Entry. My spouse (she) got her passport before the marriage in 2013. We are in USA on H1B visa and got married in USA and have marriage certificate from USA itself. We are all done with IELTS and ECA and created express entry profile and waiting for ITA.

Question is
1) Do i need to get my passport update with my spouse information?
2) Would my spouse need to get her passport update with my information?
3) If we don't update passport would that create any problem in express entry at later stage ?

I would appreciate if someone can answer or advise on this.

Thanks in Advance !!
1. Not needed
2. Not needed
3. It will not. You can both have your last names different. Just make sure you provide marriage certificate with both your names as per passport.

In case your wife's last name is different on both the Passport and Marriage certificate (name change after marriage), then get an affidavit for same name from lawyer/consultant - which indicates that both the maiden and post married names are the same person.

jigs040

Apr 19, 2017
1. Not needed
2. Not needed
3. It will not. You can both have your last names different. Just make sure you provide marriage certificate with both your names as per passport.

In case your wife's last name is different on both the Passport and Marriage certificate (name change after marriage), then get an affidavit for same name from lawyer/consultant - which indicates that both the maiden and post married names are the same person.
Thank you for the answer. Much appreciate it.

andrei0917

Star Member
Oct 6, 2017
Hi all,

My husband and I git married in january of this year. I wanted to renew my passport with his last name since it will expire this November but it will take approximately 6 months to have it changed and we got our marriage certificate in March. So if I will do the name change, it will be done by September and my spousal application will be submitted by October and mind you my open work permit (PGWP) with my passport will expire on November. Should I be worried that my new passport that will be used for the spousal sponsorship that I will submit by June is still under my lastname before marriage?
And lastly, I am still holding an open work permit (PGWP) until November. When I submit my spousal application, will I also submit an OWP application or just change status or extend my OWP/PGWP?

edcba

Oct 15, 2018
1. Not needed
2. Not needed

Hi I have got ITA in the last draw. But there is one issue I am not clear about. I got divorce in 2017 but haven't yet make change in the passport and my spouse name is still there. Is it ok to apply with that passport , or should I change my passport?
Would b very helpful to get a reply.
Best regards