Oct 14, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ankara
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Everyone,
My wife landed as a PR here last July.
We were wondering that under the 2 year living requirement with your spouses, would she be allowed to visit her family for a month or two?
So can she be outside of Canada for a month during this 2 years?

This is the original at quote CIC website:
"As of October 25, 2012, sponsored spouses or partners must live with their sponsor in a legitimate relationship for two years from the day they get their permanent resident status in Canada."

Yelsew

Star Member
Apr 24, 2013
London, ON
Yes, if she is just going back to visit for a month or so, that shouldn't be an issue. The purpose of that new two-year conditional permanent residence rule is to deter marriage fraud. Unfortunately, some sponsored partners leave their spouses as soon as they get their PR status. There are some legitimate exceptions to this rule, however.

alexandre1610

Star Member
Nov 26, 2013
mamad2020 said:
Hi Everyone,
My wife landed as a PR here last July.
We were wondering that under the 2 year living requirement with your spouses, would she be allowed to visit her family for a month or two?
So can she be outside of Canada for a month during this 2 years?

This is the original at quote CIC website:
"As of October 25, 2012, sponsored spouses or partners must live with their sponsor in a legitimate relationship for two years from the day they get their permanent resident status in Canada."
Yes of course she can go out the Canada for 1 or 2 months. Indeed during her 5 years living in Canada after receiving the PR, she needs to be present physically in Canada for at least 3 years.

Yelsew

Star Member
Apr 24, 2013
London, ON
Actually, to maintain PR status, only two years (730 days) of physical presence out of five is required. But I don't think it would be advisable for a newly-arrived PR spouse to be taking off on a very lengthy 'visit' during the two-year conditional period, if it applies in their case.