+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse Income Tax Credit For Visitor

Dadashanz

Aug 30, 2015
I am sponsoring my wife who is from U.S. She has been in Canada for all of 2016 except for 2 trips to the U.S. for a total of 3 weeks. We are going to apply inland at the end of Oct 2016, and she can currently stay until Feb 2017.

I can find online how to claim a non resident who lives in their home country by providing proof of sending money, but cannot find how to claim a non resident who is staying with you in Canada.

Will CRA take our passport stamps as proof she was with me like CIC? If not what will they accept as proof? She has no income for 2016 as she doesn't have a temp SIN to work under, we can definitely file her taxes in America for 2016 for no income.

Any help is appreciated!!

Dadashanz

Aug 30, 2015
Sorry has been posted about before, check out the topic "Do I claim my spouse on 2014 Income Tax or no?". justagirrl has an excellent link there that I cannot post.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Dadashanz said:
I am sponsoring my wife who is from U.S. She has been in Canada for all of 2016 except for 2 trips to the U.S. for a total of 3 weeks. We are going to apply inland at the end of Oct 2016, and she can currently stay until Feb 2017.
You really should apply outland. She can be here in Canada while an outland app processes.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Dadashanz said:
I can find online how to claim a non resident who lives in their home country by providing proof of sending money, but cannot find how to claim a non resident who is staying with you in Canada.

Will CRA take our passport stamps as proof she was with me like CIC? If not what will they accept as proof? She has no income for 2016 as she doesn't have a temp SIN to work under, we can definitely file her taxes in America for 2016 for no income.
If she is living with you as a visitor during the tax year, you don't need to submit any proofs of supporting her. Simply living together is good enough to claim the credit. Most likely CRA will just take your word for it so you shouldn't even need to send passport stamps or any other proofs.
She also doesn't need a SIN, when doing taxes you can use 000 000 000 for her SIN which indicates to CRA she is not a citizen or PR here so has no SIN.

And as mentioned do NOT apply inland. All US citizens should apply outland due to incredibly quick processing times.