+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

spousal work permit

ttperez924

Feb 9, 2008
My husband is a foreign worker in alberta and we are planning (with my childre) to united with him few months from now.. can i apply for a spousal working permit and visitor for my children?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

ttperez924 said:
My husband is a foreign worker in alberta and we are planning (with my childre) to united with him few months from now.. can i apply for a spousal working permit and visitor for my children?
You can apply, but unless your spouses job is classified as skilled labour under NOC skill level A,B, or O then you won't get an Open work permit. http://www23.hrdc-drhc.gc.ca/2001/e/generic/matrix.pdf

PMM

ttperez924

Feb 9, 2008
Hi PMM, just want to clarify further... what form should i use if i will apply for the spousal working permit? Is it the same with the working permit that my husband filled-out when he applied with the embassy? And what about my children, do i need to apply for a visitor or study permit?

thanks a lot!

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

ttperez924 said:
Hi PMM, just want to clarify further... what form should i use if i will apply for the spousal working permit? Is it the same with the working permit that my husband filled-out when he applied with the embassy? And what about my children, do i need to apply for a visitor or study permit?

thanks a lot!
You all need to apply for a TRV (visitor visa) if your children are of school age you should apply for study permits for them (in most provinces they won't need them or they can acquire them in Canada). You will need to follow the instructions for Manila here: http://geo.international.gc.ca/asia/manila/visas/working-en.asp

PMM

ttperez924

Feb 9, 2008
Hi PMM... thanks a lot for the info and directing me to the website of CIC Manila.

Since i want to unite with my husband the soonest possible time, i am thinking of applying for a visitor visa for me and my children and wll just change our condition once we are in alberta. In this case, i will be able to assess if my children will be able to adjust with the environment before we finally settle for two years (my husband's contract duration). Do you think this is much better than applying a work permit and study permit here in our country.

Please help me with my decision.

thanks.