+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal Sponsorship

sarhern

Apr 9, 2024
Hello! I currently live in the US and my soon to be Husband who is a Canadian citizen does too. We have a 5 month old US Citizen child but I currently have DACA, I’m from Honduras. We’re hoping to get married soon and have him sponsor me for a PR so we can move to Canada. Is he able to do this while being in the USA? Is there anyone here who has a somewhat similar situation? He’d be willing to also go back to Canada and do it from there if it makes things easier, it’s just hard as we have a baby and I cant even go visit Canada due to my status in the US

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello! I currently live in the US and my soon to be Husband who is a Canadian citizen does too. We have a 5 month old US Citizen child but I currently have DACA, I’m from Honduras. We’re hoping to get married soon and have him sponsor me for a PR so we can move to Canada. Is he able to do this while being in the USA? Is there anyone here who has a somewhat similar situation? He’d be willing to also go back to Canada and do it from there if it makes things easier, it’s just hard as we have a baby and I cant even go visit Canada due to my status in the US
Since he is a Canadian citizen, he can sponsor you from the U.S., (using the Outland application) but he needs to show intent to move back to Canada after your PR is [hopefully] approved. Your child should already have Canadian citizenship by birth from their father, so just need the paperwork to confirm this:
Under the Canadian Citizenship Act, a child born outside Canada to at least one parent who is a Canadian citizen is automatically a Canadian citizen at birth as long as their parent was born inside Canada, or became a naturalized Canadian citizen.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Since he is a Canadian citizen, he can sponsor you while staying with you in US. The sponsorship can start once you are married and have the marriage certificate.
Go to the application guide online and try to look at what document you need and the information you need to fill out the forms. Everything can be done online.
Your husband will need to proof that he will relocate with you back to Canada once the sponsorship application is approved.
Your son can get proof of citizenship from his father. (see above reply from another member)

There are more discussions in the Family Class Sponsorship section:
Family Class Sponsorship | Canada Immigration Forum (canadavisa.com)