+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

SPOUSAL SPONSORSHIP.

wisdom7

Star Member
Feb 7, 2014
Canada
Hello,
I am Canadian Citizen living in Canada, while my wife who I want to sponsor is living in Nigeria.
QUESTION:
1. Medical: Will she need to go for her medical examination, get the result and include it in her application package before sending it out to Canadian Immigration? Or Canadian Immigration will send her for medical later?
2. Relationship Information and Sponsorship Evaluation - Form 5532: Should the sponsored and the sponsor independently complete this inform. I mean one copy for me and one copy for her. Amounting to 2 copies?

3. Additional Dependant form and Additional Family Information: We don't have any dependant children now. Neither do we have any additional family information. Therefore, should i leave this forms blank and not include them in the application?
4. Will my sponsorship application grant her work permit as well, or or will need to apply for that separately?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello,
I am Canadian Citizen living in Canada, while my wife who I want to sponsor is living in Nigeria.
QUESTION:
1. Medical: Will she need to go for her medical examination, get the result and include it in her application package before sending it out to Canadian Immigration? Or Canadian Immigration will send her for medical later?
2. Relationship Information and Sponsorship Evaluation - Form 5532: Should the sponsored and the sponsor independently complete this inform. I mean one copy for me and one copy for her. Amounting to 2 copies?

3. Additional Dependant form and Additional Family Information: We don't have any dependant children now. Neither do we have any additional family information. Therefore, should i leave this forms blank and not include them in the application?
4. Will my sponsorship application grant her work permit as well, or or will need to apply for that separately?
Hi

1. The medical will be requested later.

2. One copy filled out together.

3. Pretty impossible that your spouse doesn't have any additional family information. Leave it blank and the app will be returned.

4. She doesn't qualify for a work permit because she is not applying inland.

Wakki

Champion Member
Sep 18, 2017
Hello,
QUESTION:

1. Medical:

IRCC does not accept Medical upfront, and you are not required to submit Medical with your sponsorship application package.....refer checklist.
After your sponsorship application has been received and reviewed, IRCC will send Principal applicant the Medical Exam instructions......usually sent around 5 months 1 week from the time your application package was received at IRCC Missisauga.

3. Additional Dependant form and Additional Family Information:

IMM5406 must be included in your sponsorship application package and should be completed by the Principal Applicant only, since she has dependants..........there are 3 sections.

SECTION A - Principal Applicant (wife), Spouse (Sponsor), Principal Applicant Father and Mother details.
SECTION B - BLANK, since the Principal Applicant has no dependant.
SECTION C - Principal Applicant BROTHERS and SISTERS details (not cousins, nephews, nieces).
SECTION D - Date and Signature

This form must not be blank, must be Dated and Signed by the Principal Applicant, and must be included in the application package.

4. Work Permit

The Principal Applicant is living "OUTLAND", in Nigeria and outside Canada and you applied to sponsor your wife "OUTLAND".
Only Spousal Sponsorship In-Canada Class or "INLAND" application with Principal Applicant living in Canada can apply for Work Permit for the Applicant when they apply for spousal sponsorship.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5289-sponsor-your-spouse-common-law-partner-conjugal-partner-dependent-child-complete-guide.html

Last edited:

wisdom7

Star Member
Feb 7, 2014
Canada
1. Medical:

IRCC does not accept Medical upfront, and you are not required to submit Medical with your sponsorship application package.....refer checklist.
After your sponsorship application has been received and reviewed, IRCC will send Principal applicant the Medical Exam instructions......usually sent around 5 months 1 week from the time your application package was received at IRCC Missisauga.

3. Additional Dependant form and Additional Family Information:

IMM5406 must be included in your sponsorship application package and should be completed by the Principal Applicant only, since she has dependants..........there are 3 sections.

SECTION A - Principal Applicant (wife), Spouse (Sponsor), Principal Applicant Father and Mother details.
SECTION B - BLANK, since the Principal Applicant has no dependant.
SECTION C - Principal Applicant BROTHERS and SISTERS details (not cousins, nephews, nieces).
SECTION D - Date and Signature

This form must not be blank, must be Dated and Signed by the Principal Applicant, and must be included in the application package.

4. Work Permit

The Principal Applicant is living "OUTLAND", in Nigeria and outside Canada and you applied to sponsor your wife "OUTLAND".
Only Spousal Sponsorship In-Canada Class or "INLAND" application with Principal Applicant living in Canada can apply for Work Permit for the Applicant when they apply for spousal sponsorship.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5289-sponsor-your-spouse-common-law-partner-conjugal-partner-dependent-child-complete-guide.html

Wakki

Champion Member
Sep 18, 2017
Oh I see. Which means she will apply for work permit after arriving in Canada as PR?
Your sponsorship is "OUTLAND", since you are sponsoring your wife from Nigeria......when she gets the PR visa and arrives in Canada, she will become a Permanent Resident and have the benefits you have as a Citizen, which includes the right to work, except she can't vote in Federal Elections.......she does not have to apply for Work Permit, she automatically has Work Permit.

Refer.......Understand permanent resident status
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/new-immigrants/pr-card/understand-pr-status.html

Only "INLAND" Spousal Sponsorship Applications Principal Applicants on Visitor Visa, Student Visa, etc could apply for Work Permit while their application is In-Process.......if your wife were in Canada, and you applied "INLAND", you are allowed to include application for Temporary Work Permit for your spouse along with the Sponsorship Application.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1163&top=17

Last edited:

wisdom7

Star Member
Feb 7, 2014
Canada
Wakiki, thanks for the information.
Again, I became confused with how much to pay for the application. If her Permanent Resident on her arrival in Canada.is automatic, should I still pay for the right of Permanent Resident as stated below?
Thanks for helping as usual.
Wisdom7.

(Below - Copied from Website)
Sponsorship fee ($75), principal applicant processing fee ($475) and right of permanent residence fee ($490) which is: = $1,040.
We recommend you pay the right of permanent residence fee (CAN$490) now to avoid future delays.
You will have to pay it before you become a permanent resident.

Fees $CAN
Sponsor your spouse or partner:
Sponsorship fee ($75), principal applicant processing fee ($475) and right of permanent residence fee ($490) = $1,040.
Sponsor your spouse or partner without right of permanent residence fee
Sponsorship fee ($75) and principal applicant processing fee ($475)

Secondly, As she is the Principal Applicant, is it possible to include the names of her in-laws on the "Additional Family Information form -MM5406?
By Her In-Laws - I mean my (husband) siblings.

Thirdly, On the checklist: Under "Information about previous examination (To be completed by Sponsor)" I am confused on which to pick.
Though I pick NO. But I want to be sure I am correct. As this is my second marriage after my first marriage failed about 7 years ago.
Your sponsorship is "OUTLAND", since you are sponsoring your wife from Nigeria......when she gets the PR visa and arrives in Canada, she will become a Permanent Resident and have the benefits you have as a Citizen, which includes the right to work, except she can't vote in Federal Elections.......she does not have to apply for Work Permit, she automatically has Work Permit.

Refer.......Understand permanent resident status
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/new-immigrants/pr-card/understand-pr-status.html

Only "INLAND" Spousal Sponsorship Applications Principal Applicants on Visitor Visa, Student Visa, etc could apply for Work Permit while their application is In-Process.......if your wife were in Canada, and you applied "INLAND", you are allowed to include application for Temporary Work Permit for your spouse along with the Sponsorship Application.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1163&top=17

Wakki

Champion Member
Sep 18, 2017
Wakiki, thanks for the information.
Again, I became confused with how much to pay for the application. If her Permanent Resident on her arrival in Canada.is automatic, should I still pay for the right of Permanent Resident as stated below?
Thanks for helping as usual.
Wisdom7.

(Below - Copied from Website)
Sponsorship fee ($75), principal applicant processing fee ($475) and right of permanent residence fee ($490) which is: = $1,040.
We recommend you pay the right of permanent residence fee (CAN$490) now to avoid future delays.
You will have to pay it before you become a permanent resident.

Fees $CAN
Sponsor your spouse or partner:
Sponsorship fee ($75), principal applicant processing fee ($475) and right of permanent residence fee ($490) = $1,040.
Sponsor your spouse or partner without right of permanent residence fee
Sponsorship fee ($75) and principal applicant processing fee ($475)

Secondly, As she is the Principal Applicant, is it possible to include the names of her in-laws on the "Additional Family Information form -MM5406?
By Her In-Laws - I mean my (husband) siblings.

Thirdly, On the checklist: Under "Information about previous examination (To be completed by Sponsor)" I am confused on which to pick.
Though I pick NO. But I want to be sure I am correct. As this is my second marriage after my first marriage failed about 7 years ago.

The Fee to Sponsor your Spouse is in 3 parts......= $1,040.
(1) Sponsorship fee ($75), (2) Principal applicant processing fee ($475), (3) Right of permanent residence fee ($490).

If your sponsorship application is Refused or Withdrawn, IRCC will refund the (3) Right of permanent residence fee (RPRF).

Your application will be accepted if you don't pay the Right of permanent residence fee ($490), but IRCC must received the fee later to finalize and complete the processing and issue COPR.

Will advice that your pay the Right of permanent residence fee ($490).

Pay the complete $1,040 before you submit your spousal sponsorship application to avoid delays later.

3. IMM5406 - Additional Dependant form and Additional Family Information:

SECTION C - Principal Applicant (PA) BROTHERS and SISTERS, including half, step Brothers and Sisters details (not cousins, nephews, nieces, uncle, aunt).

Only include the Principal Applicant (i.e., spouse been sponsored) Brothers and Sisters with same parents as the PA, Step Brothers and Step Sisters which the PA share one common parent, Half Brothers and Half Sisters related to the PA by blood through that one parent.

Note: the Brothers and Sisters are those related to the PA and not the Sponsor.

Note:.......from Checklist........this is to help IRCC determine if the PA had earlier been examined.
"The person I am sponsoring was declared as my spouse or partner and was already examined as a non-accompanying dependent when I applied for a permanent resident visa, and did not receive an immigrant visa. (Note: If you have never applied for a permanent resident visa, answer no.)"

For PR in Canada, when you the Sponsor applied for the PR visa and included your spouse in IMM5406 as a non-accompanying dependant........THEN you should choose "YES"........because IRCC must have already been examined and completed medical exam.

However, when you the PR in Canada Sponsor applied for the PR visa.....
(1) If you included your spouse in IMM5406 as an accompanying dependant but now divorced...........THEN choose "NO"
(2) If you did not include ANY spouse in IMM5406 as a dependant...........THEN choose "NO"

In your case, since your divorced, you are right in choosing "NO".

wisdom7

Star Member
Feb 7, 2014
Canada
The Fee to Sponsor your Spouse is in 3 parts......= $1,040.
(1) Sponsorship fee ($75), (2) Principal applicant processing fee ($475), (3) Right of permanent residence fee ($490).

If your sponsorship application is Refused or Withdrawn, IRCC will refund the (3) Right of permanent residence fee (RPRF).

Your application will be accepted if you don't pay the Right of permanent residence fee ($490), but IRCC must received the fee later to finalize and complete the processing and issue COPR.

Will advice that your pay the Right of permanent residence fee ($490).

Pay the complete $1,040 before you submit your spousal sponsorship application to avoid delays later.

3. IMM5406 - Additional Dependant form and Additional Family Information:

SECTION C - Principal Applicant (PA) BROTHERS and SISTERS, including half, step Brothers and Sisters details (not cousins, nephews, nieces, uncle, aunt).

Only include the Principal Applicant (i.e., spouse been sponsored) Brothers and Sisters with same parents as the PA, Step Brothers and Step Sisters which the PA share one common parent, Half Brothers and Half Sisters related to the PA by blood through that one parent.

Note: the Brothers and Sisters are those related to the PA and not the Sponsor.

Note:.......from Checklist........this is to help IRCC determine if the PA had earlier been examined.
"The person I am sponsoring was declared as my spouse or partner and was already examined as a non-accompanying dependent when I applied for a permanent resident visa, and did not receive an immigrant visa. (Note: If you have never applied for a permanent resident visa, answer no.)"

For PR in Canada, when you the Sponsor applied for the PR visa and included your spouse in IMM5406 as a non-accompanying dependant........THEN you should choose "YES"........because IRCC must have already been examined and completed medical exam.

However, when you the PR in Canada Sponsor applied for the PR visa.....
(1) If you included your spouse in IMM5406 as an accompanying dependant but now divorced...........THEN choose "NO"
(2) If you did not include ANY spouse in IMM5406 as a dependant...........THEN choose "NO"

In your case, since your divorced, you are right in choosing "NO".

Wakki, Thanks for the prompt reply. I am really grateful for all your help since I started this project.

MORE QUESTIONS:
Again, am I expected to complete part 2 (b) of this form below?, or is just for the PA and her siblings listed in the "additional family information form?"
Secondly, on the checklist. Question 4 - Previous Relationship:
a. Have you (the sponsor) previously been sponsored yourself for Permanent Resident?

The above question is just confusing to me. Reason is because me and my ex-wife applied for Permanent Resident in 2003 while in our home country Nigeria. Though she was the Principal Applicant. Unfortunately, the marriage failed. So will I answer "Yes" or "No" on the above question?

Last edited:

Wakki

Champion Member
Sep 18, 2017
Wakki, Thanks for the prompt reply. I am really grateful for all your help since I started this project.

MORE QUESTIONS:
Again, am I expected to complete part 2 (b) of this form below?, or is just for the PA and her siblings listed in the "additional family information form?"
Secondly, on the checklist. Question 4 - Previous Relationship:
a. Have you (the sponsor) previously been sponsored yourself for Permanent Resident?

The above question is just confusing to me. Reason is because me and my ex-wife applied for Permanent Resident in 2003 while in our home country Nigeria. Though she was the Principal Applicant. Unfortunately, the marriage failed. So will I answer "Yes" or "No" on the above question?
Supplementary Information – Your travels [IMM 5562] May 2004
The principal applicant and all family members included in the application who are 18 years of age or older must complete this form.

- Yes, the Sponsor is expected to complete part 2 (b) of the form.

1. Your Full Name - PA completes this section
2. a) You - PA completes this section
2. b) Your Spouse - Sponsor completes this section
2. c,d,e) - Your Dependant Child(s) 18 years or older completes this section

https://www.canada.ca/content/dam/ircc/migration/ircc/english/pdf/kits/forms/imm5562e.pdf

Have you (the sponsor) previously been sponsored yourself for Permanent Resident?

If your wife applied for Permanent Residency in 2003 and landed as a PR in Canada and in her PR application you were included as her Spouse and a Dependant and also landed with her as PR in Canada , then its not considered sponsorship under the family class.....you were not sponsored by landed as PR........so its "NO".

Sponsorship is when the PR or Canadian Citizen apply to sponsor the family (spouse, child, parents) as PR to Canada.....If your wife landed as PR in Canada, and later applied to sponsor you as PR, that's considered sponsorship.

*****If you like....you could include a NOTE to tell IRCC, you landed as PR with your 1st wife and was not sponsored.

Sponsorship.....
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/family-sponsorship.html

Last edited:

wisdom7

Star Member
Feb 7, 2014
Canada
Again, Must the sponsor completed this form below?
"Authority To Release Personal Information To a Designated Individual? Form #: - IMM 5475 (09-2015)E.

Wakki

Champion Member
Sep 18, 2017
Again, Must the sponsor completed this form below?
"Authority To Release Personal Information To a Designated Individual? Form #: - IMM 5475 (09-2015)E.
No......the Sponsor does not have to complete the form........."Authority To Release Personal Information To a Designated Individual? Form #: - IMM 5475 (09-2015)E.

Last edited: