Spousal sponsorship

Nanami

Jul 4, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-12-2016
Hi Everyone.

So there's something about the PR Fees that's throwing me off a little bit and I hope someone can carefully explain to me in a matter I could understand.

I had thought that I only pay 475 to apply for PR, but apparently It's 75, 475 and then the 490.

So let me get this straight.
Sponsor application is $75
Then the Principal Applicant(common law) is 475 which is me(I'm from Cali USA), right?
And under getting the right of PR it states:
Principal applicants (with some exceptions) and spouses and common-law partners coming with them to Canada must pay this fee. Applicants must pay this fee before CIC issues the permanent resident visa or before the applicant becomes a permanent resident in Canada.

I don't quite understand what that means if I'm the principal applicant and my Common-law partner is a Canadian Citizen. I'm the common-law partner that's going with her. Ah! I don't know....I'm so confused. ??? I've read it over and over it doesn't seem to make sense....lol I hope someone gets what I'm trying to say :-[.

Thank you so much in advance. :-[ :-[ :-[

yamgia

Jun 17, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nanami said:
Hi Everyone.

So there's something about the PR Fees that's throwing me off a little bit and I hope someone can carefully explain to me in a matter I could understand.

I had thought that I only pay 475 to apply for PR, but apparently It's 75, 475 and then the 490.

So let me get this straight.
Sponsor application is $75
Then the Principal Applicant(common law) is 475 which is me(I'm from Cali USA), right?
And under getting the right of PR it states:
Principal applicants (with some exceptions) and spouses and common-law partners coming with them to Canada must pay this fee. Applicants must pay this fee before CIC issues the permanent resident visa or before the applicant becomes a permanent resident in Canada.

I don't quite understand what that means if I'm the principal applicant and my Common-law partner is a Canadian Citizen. I'm the common-law partner that's going with her. Ah! I don't know....I'm so confused. ??? I've read it over and over it doesn't seem to make sense....lol I hope someone gets what I'm trying to say :-[.

Thank you so much in advance. :-[ :-[ :-[
Well if you are applying for Spouse or common law in the family class sponsorship the amount of fees (as stated in the guides) should be:
Sponsorship Application: $75
Principal Applicant: $475
Right of Permanent Resident Fee: $490
Total: $1040

The first one is for the sponsor approval/application, the second one is for the person being sponsored application/approval and the last one of $490 is for the sponsored person (the right of PR fee which you need to pay to be able to get PR/visa), which you can either pay up front or pay later when they request it.

This excludes stuff like medical, police check and other stuff like pictures and documents you might need.

Reactions: newbie19

engmua86

Apr 13, 2012
Hi,
I am applying to sponsor my husband who has lived in Montreal for two years and now in Ottawa for another two years. Is he required to get a police certificate from both territories?

The check list says:
"You must get a police certificate from each country or territory were you lived for six or more months in a row since the age of 18."

dyanaralaconsay

Jun 16, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
MVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-08-2016
Hello! I hope you could help me. My husband and I communicate through facebook messenger since the day He migrated to Canada and that was 4 years ago. So, do I need to print all our chats from 2012 up to now (2016) :eek: That would be so many if i'm going to print all of those. What's the best way that I can do? ANY SUGGESTIONS PLS :(

getglad

Jun 13, 2016
Hi Lovely people!! Thank you for your helpful advice!!
I am a Canadian sponsoring my Australian CL partner outland. We are living in Australia now and it looks like we are at stage 2 AOR. They have asked us to complete a IMM5409 stat dec so we are organising this now. I am a little surprised cause I thought we only needed this if there was a co-signer but anyway! Hopefully it doesn't hold things up too much.

My question is - the application is being processed in Ottawa. Will my partner have to send his passport there eventually? Or will he get a COPR? I am a little nervous cause he is going to need his passport for a trip later in the year. Thanks!!

Decoy24601

Champion Member
Aug 13, 2015
Vancouver, BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-04-2016
AOR Received.
28-04-2016
File Transfer...
SA 27-05-2016
Med's Done....
23-03-2016 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
07-06-2016
LANDED..........
06-07-2016
getglad said:
Hi Lovely people!! Thank you for your helpful advice!!
I am a Canadian sponsoring my Australian CL partner outland. We are living in Australia now and it looks like we are at stage 2 AOR. They have asked us to complete a IMM5409 stat dec so we are organising this now. I am a little surprised cause I thought we only needed this if there was a co-signer but anyway! Hopefully it doesn't hold things up too much.

My question is - the application is being processed in Ottawa. Will my partner have to send his passport there eventually? Or will he get a COPR? I am a little nervous cause he is going to need his passport for a trip later in the year. Thanks!!
Your partner might be sent a generic passport request, but that email/letter will tell you how to determine if your partner is visa-exempt and will likely say that if they are visa-exempt then they won't have to send their passport.

getglad

Jun 13, 2016
Decoy24601 said:
Your partner might be sent a generic passport request, but that email/letter will tell you how to determine if your partner is visa-exempt and will likely say that if they are visa-exempt then they won't have to send their passport.
Thank you! So if he is visa exempt he will just receive a COPR (if his application is approved of course) and present this when landing?
I like your timeline Decoy!

Decoy24601

Champion Member
Aug 13, 2015
Vancouver, BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-04-2016
AOR Received.
28-04-2016
File Transfer...
SA 27-05-2016
Med's Done....
23-03-2016 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
07-06-2016
LANDED..........
06-07-2016
getglad said:
Thank you! So if he is visa exempt he will just receive a COPR (if his application is approved of course) and present this when landing?
I like your timeline Decoy!
Yes, although he might get that generic passport request/email first. Ottawa has been doing that recently with non-American applicants and it's been confusing people since it's generic.

Your application shouldn't take too much longer either ;D. Ottawa has been just as fast for applicants from other visa-exempt countries as the Americans that are usually processed there.

getglad

Jun 13, 2016
Decoy24601 said:
Yes, although he might get that generic passport request/email first. Ottawa has been doing that recently with non-American applicants and it's been confusing people since it's generic.

Your application shouldn't take too much longer either ;D. Ottawa has been just as fast for applicants from other visa-exempt countries as the Americans that are usually processed there.
Ahhh I see. So if we do get the generic request we just have to email a photocopy of his passport?? Yes the Ottawa processing times are impressive. I had to wait much longer for my Aussie visas to be granted.

Decoy24601

Champion Member
Aug 13, 2015
Vancouver, BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-04-2016
AOR Received.
28-04-2016
File Transfer...
SA 27-05-2016
Med's Done....
23-03-2016 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
07-06-2016
LANDED..........
06-07-2016
getglad said:
Ahhh I see. So if we do get the generic request we just have to email a photocopy of his passport?? Yes the Ottawa processing times are impressive. I had to wait much longer for my Aussie visas to be granted.
You shouldn't need to send anything. I know of someone who had to wait over a year for their Australian PR to be approved as a common-law partner and they were from the U.S.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Sweetie pie said:
Hi, i am sponsoring my son that is 17yrs old do i fill up the generic form for him , what about the family info form and background declaration form? some form say if you are 18 and older please help.
Your son is the Principal Applicant, therefore all applicant forms must be filled out.

engmua86 said:
I am applying to sponsor my husband who has lived in Montreal for two years and now in Ottawa for another two years. Is he required to get a police certificate from both territories?

The check list says:
"You must get a police certificate from each country or territory were you lived for six or more months in a row since the age of 18."
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/security/police-cert/north-america/canada.asp

How to get a police certificate - Canada

Do I need to provide a Police Certificate with my Application for Permanent Residence? No

dyanaralaconsay said:
Hello! I hope you could help me. My husband and I communicate through facebook messenger since the day He migrated to Canada and that was 4 years ago. So, do I need to print all our chats from 2012 up to now (2016) :eek: That would be so many if i'm going to print all of those. What's the best way that I can do? ANY SUGGESTIONS PLS :(
Print out a selection, a few from each month.

yamgia

Jun 17, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
dyanaralaconsay said:
If you are dating him from or before 2012, then send one chat of every week, every two weeks or every month (or important milestones in your relationship). And state in your application that you do so, and that if they want to see more, that you can provide that. They just want to see that your communication is ongoing.

If you are dating him after 2012, show a few chats before the relationship (to show you were friends before) and start the weekly/monthly chat thing at the start-ish of your relationship.

If you send thousand of pages of chats, the officer won't be too happy about it. :p And dont rely on chats only for evidence (chats are a rather weak evidence to depend on).

walesme

Jun 14, 2016
Notice – Government addresses spousal backlog and wait times

Ottawa, June 13, 2016 – As part of its commitment to family reunification, the Government of Canada will grant permanent residence to more spouses, partners and dependent children of Canadian citizens and permanent residents this year. This will significantly reduce the backlog of existing applications and speed up processing times going forward.

Each year, the Government sets how many permanent residents Canada intends to admit through its various immigration categories during the year. This is done with the annual immigration levels plan. The plan for 2016 reflects the Government's key priorities for immigration, which include bringing more families together.

This year, the Government increased the number of spaces allowed for spouses, partners and dependent children by 14 000, bringing it up to 62 000 spaces.

Over the past few years, more people have applied to come to Canada in the spousal category than there was space for in previous immigration levels plans; this has created a backlog. This year, the Government will reduce this backlog.

Tackling the spousal backlog will ease the uncertainty faced by spouses and partners wanting to move forward and build their lives in Canada with their family and help them integrate into our communities and our economy.

Increasing the number of admission spaces for spouses and partners is one of the measures the Government has taken to support family reunification. Through Budget 2016, $25 million was also allocated to support faster and more predictable processing times for family sponsorship.

What this means for applicants
Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) has begun to work on reducing its current spousal sponsorship backlog.

Reducing the backlog means complete and straightforward spousal sponsorship applications will be finalized faster.

The backlog reduction applies to applications received through the family class (overseas processing) as well as the spouse or common-law partner in Canada class (in-Canada processing).

All applications will continue to undergo the necessary screening to ensure that individuals do not pose a health, safety or security risk to Canadians and that the relationships are genuine.

If you have already submitted an application to sponsor your spouse or partner, IRCC may contact you to advise you if we need additional information to help process your application. You do not need to contact us, but please make sure your file is up to date.

If you are contacted, please respond to any communication you receive from us within the time frame provided in order to ensure that we can properly process your application. The success of our efforts relies on your cooperation.

If you have not yet submitted an application to sponsor your spouse or partner but plan to do so, the application will not be dealt with as part of our backlog reduction efforts, but it will be processed as quickly as possible.

IRCC's work to reduce the backlog will eventually benefit all spousal applicants—whether they are already in the backlog or submitting a new application—by bringing down wait times for all.

Find general information on family sponsorship, and find answers to your questions at the Help Centre.

rmv

Star Member
Dec 15, 2015
Just trying to get some advice to calm down my nerves ..
So I sent inland application with OWP in April and my sponsor have got email from CIC that they have received it. Now the issue; We sent civil marriage statement instead certificate. I luckily notice it a week or two later and sent a right document in mail with my UCI.
Should I trust CIC will include it to application or should I use Case Specific Enquiry now when having application number and notify them? Mostly I am worried about OWP.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
rmv said:
Just trying to get some advice to calm down my nerves ..
So I sent inland application with OWP in April and my sponsor have got email from CIC that they have received it. Now the issue; We sent civil marriage statement instead certificate. I luckily notice it a week or two later and sent a right document in mail with my UCI.
Should I trust CIC will include it to application or should I use Case Specific Enquiry now when having application number and notify them? Mostly I am worried about OWP.
Never trust CIC to `figure it out'. Now that you have your application number, you should send a copy of the marriage certificate via the CSE.

Good luck!