Spousal sponsorship

stevelo

Star Member
Apr 7, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Canuck_28 said:
Just wanted to get everybody's thoughts on this...wifes application has been approved, passport has been sent to LA for processing. Once she gets it back, we are planning to flag pole at a BC border crossing (Peace Arch). She currently has her car here in Canada (visitor visa), but it's registered in Texas and she is still paying on her car loan (banks name on title, along with hers). What is the process for when we cross, can she put that her car is goods to follow? Or do we just delcare it, as it's our only vehicle here in Canada? We don't want to have to deal with importing it, as the car isn't worth the cost of doing so.

Thoughts? Past experiences?

Thanks!
You might find the following websites useful. But though you may not need to pay tax on it, it still requires inspection in Canada before it can get Canadian plates. I re-imported my car before (went to US, then back to Canada) and though I did not have to pay tax (having proof it was from Canada) I still had to get it re-inspected. And Canadian Tire did decide that one of my back lights mysteriously broke and I had to get it replaced. Think it was ~$200 for inspection and another $30-40 for misc. repairs. Make sure you don't have tint on your front windows + windshield!

http://cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/pub/bsf5048-eng.html

http://www.riv.ca/CostConsiderations.aspx

jack83

Nov 27, 2012
R151NG5UN said:
Hey,

1) Are you visa exempt? I personally would not mention that you are going to get married whilst visiting Canada. This is likely to raise a huge red flag. Don't lie but say something more along the lines of I am coming to visit my girlfriend. Also make sure you buy a return ticket to your home country even if you have no intention of using it. A 1 way ticket once again will raise a huge red flag.

2) You can stay in Canada if you apply using an inland application, if you decide to use an outland application then you will have to keep renewing your status whilst your inside Canada (that is if they issue you an extension). No you cannot work initially with either an outland or inland application although if you apply inland and submit an OWP application at the same time as your PR application once your wife is approved (about 6 months) you will receive AIP. At that point you can try to find a job.

3) If your desperate to work, you can try and find a job that requires a LMO but since you will have an application under-way it is highly unlikely you will be granted it (A potential employer must show your skill set is different to every Canadian or PR that has applied and you are the only 1 qualified for the position). A LMO for sure will be very hard to obtain.

4) Her inviting you as your fiancee won't matter 1 jot to the border official, if anything it is going to raise a red flag and say "I am coming in to Canada and it will be damn hard to remove me" so as a word of advice don't mention marriage.
Sorry for the late response but thanks for the advice.
The marriage will take place in Canada.
I'm allowed to stay in Canada for six months as a tourist.
If my return ticket is in 3 months and we have already been married in the first month and immediately begin the procedures, should I return back home or I can forget about the return ticket and stay with no problem in Canada until she gets aprroved to sponsor me?

frege

Jun 13, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Paris
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-05-2012
AOR Received.
none
File Transfer...
01-08-2012
Med's Done....
02-12-2011
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
28-11-2012 (copy only)
VISA ISSUED...
05-12-2012
LANDED..........
15-12-2012
jack83 said:
Sorry for the late response but thanks for the advice.
The marriage will take place in Canada.
I'm allowed to stay in Canada for six months as a tourist.
If my return ticket is in 3 months and we have already been married in the first month and immediately begin the procedures, should I return back home or I can forget about the return ticket and stay with no problem in Canada until she gets aprroved to sponsor me?
I'm not so sure that it would be a good idea to try to avoid mentioning that you're getting married. In the U.S., there's a fiancé visa, but there's no such thing in Canada, so what do they expect you to do if you want to get married in Canada? Exactly what you are doing. I think it might be worse to try to hide it.

You can get a return ticket for six months from now, as you'll have six months in the country as a visitor.

You're allowed to enter Canada as a visitor even if you intend to apply for permanent residence. The border officer just needs to believe that you won't work, you won't study, and you'll leave *if* your application is rejected or your time in Canada runs out for another reason. You just need to say that you'll leave if you're not allowed to stay. Make sure you can prove that you have enough money or your fiancee has enough income to support you while you're in Canada, so they don't think you'll want to work.

If you do the in-Canada procedure it will take about 14 months to become a PR if they accept immediately that your marriage is genuine. In that case, you can work and study after about 6 months. You can stay in Canada for the entire process. If they need an interview because they're concerned about the genuineness of the marriage, the process can be *very* long and you can't work until it's over.

If you do the outside-Canada procedure, you'll go through the Rome office if you live in Greece and are a citizen of Greece. That will take about 6 to 15 months. You can't work in Canada until the end of the procedure. You can stay in Canada as a visitor, but unlike the in-Canada procedure, you have to keep renewing your visitor status every six months, and the renewal isn't automatic. (Most people on the forum who are from developed countries haven't had problems with this process.) On the other hand, if you are rejected, you'll find out sooner and you'll have better appeal rights than with the in-Canada process.

frege

Jun 13, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Paris
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-05-2012
AOR Received.
none
File Transfer...
01-08-2012
Med's Done....
02-12-2011
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
28-11-2012 (copy only)
VISA ISSUED...
05-12-2012
LANDED..........
15-12-2012
mattrox10 said:
We are moving to Ontario early, My husband (US) coming across as a visitor until the PPR and COPR arrives. How do we change the address. do we have to call? I tried the Online service on CIC website but it didn't work.

Also what do we need for My husband to cross the boarder? just the AOR?
Have you already received sponsorship approval? If not, you can't do it online. You're supposed to call CIC - BUT when my wife and I tried (twice) to change our address through the call centre they told us to wait because there was no file in the computer system in which they could make the address change. All they really had, I think, was a package sitting somewhere.

One guy at the call centre said we could try faxing the address change to Mississauga, with the Canada Post tracking number and the number of the payment receipt. Instead, we sent a letter to Mississauga to tell them about the new address, thinking it wouldn't make a difference, and they sent it back because they said they didn't accept address changes by mail. They even pointed out that they'd kept "no record" of our attempted address change. It was really frustrating. I don't know if a fax would have worked or not.

What it boils down to is that before your sponsorship approval, you're supposed to do it online or through the call centre, but online doesn't work, and the call centre might refuse to do it.

shanmba1174

Star Member
Nov 9, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-10-2012
AOR Received.
04-12-2012
File Transfer...
13-12-2012
Med's Done....
15-06-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
27-05-2013
VISA ISSUED...
14-06-2013
LANDED..........
26-06-2013 (DONE - thank u all)
You can update the address by emailing them for US Applicants only.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/offices/canada/ottawa.asp

I need to change my personal information or my mailing address. What do I do?
Please e-mail us (OttPilot-Immigration@cic.gc.ca) in any of the following cases:

You change your marital status
There is a birth or death in your family.
You change your mailing, residential or e-mail address if you reside outside of Canada

mattrox10 said:
We are moving to Ontario early, My husband (US) coming across as a visitor until the PPR and COPR arrives. How do we change the address. do we have to call? I tried the Online service on CIC website but it didn't work.

Also what do we need for My husband to cross the boarder? just the AOR?

Psalm

Mar 14, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-Aug-2012
AOR Received.
31-Aug-2012
Med's Request
31-Aug-2012
Med's Done....
03-Sept-2012 / Sept 6 to CEM
VISA ISSUED...
Dec. 19,2012 ( dated Dec. 12, 2012)
LANDED..........
Dec. 25, 2012
A perfect Gift from God..Truly that God is Good all the Time..All The Glory and Praises belong to Him alone..
..b-day after shock ..my flight is on Dec. 25 2012..(VISA GRANTED)
Maraming salamat po sa page na to..dahil dito nagkaroon ako ng maraming friends..Iloveyou all..Thank you for the admin at sa lahat ng member..hndi ko npo kau iisa-isa kc hahaba lng..

I want to share my story..hehehe.. Kaninang umaga po tumawag ako sa air21 ky Henry at tinanong ko po kng andun name ko.venirify po ny name ko..tapos ang sabi po nya out for delivery na raw po ang doc. I asked him kng visa ba un and He said that he don't know..pero now hndi ko na kailangang mag-isip po because a multiple VISA is On Hand..

I Love You All Mga sis and Bro..pray llng po tayo lagi..mas maraming nagppray mas powerful..

hissa

Dec 16, 2011
Hello everyone,
I really need some advice and would appreciate any help please. My husband's received and email fromg the embassy today requesting a few documents. Here's the email:

Dear X:

This refers to your application for permanent residence in Canada. Please return this letter with the requested documents as below:

- New meds ,(we have sent you an email before this one about the medical exam instructions)
- Employment letter for sponsor
- Updated police clearance for yourself from General Intelligence Department of Jordan .

Please be advised that if we do not receive the required materials within 30 days of the date of this letter your application will be assessed on the basis of the information that is already on file. Failure to provide the additional information could result in the refusal of your application.

Best regards,

Visa Section | Section des Visas

My question is what is the process for renewing the medical exam? We did NOT receive any prior email with instructions like they said, so I have no idea what they're talking about! Where do we get the medical exam form? Does the the doctor have one available? What do we provide? A picture? It's been a long time since the first medical, my husband and I forgot what exactly was needed.

2nd question, does the employment letter for sponsor mean a letter from my workplace verifying that I am employed?? This is a problem, because although I was employed at the time I submitted the application for my husband, I am no longer working. What should I do?!

Please someone help me with this!! I really am confused on what to do, and I don't want 30 days to pass figuring it out!

Ttcdfolk

Star Member
Dec 19, 2012
Hong Kong
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-11-2012
AOR Received.
01-12-2012
Med's Done....
15-10-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
08-02-2013
LANDED..........
07-07-2013

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
hissa said:
Hello everyone,
I really need some advice and would appreciate any help please. My husband's received and email fromg the embassy today requesting a few documents. Here's the email:

Dear X:

This refers to your application for permanent residence in Canada. Please return this letter with the requested documents as below:

- New meds ,(we have sent you an email before this one about the medical exam instructions)
- Employment letter for sponsor
- Updated police clearance for yourself from General Intelligence Department of Jordan .

Please be advised that if we do not receive the required materials within 30 days of the date of this letter your application will be assessed on the basis of the information that is already on file. Failure to provide the additional information could result in the refusal of your application.

Best regards,

Visa Section | Section des Visas

My question is what is the process for renewing the medical exam? We did NOT receive any prior email with instructions like they said, so I have no idea what they're talking about! Where do we get the medical exam form? Does the the doctor have one available? What do we provide? A picture? It's been a long time since the first medical, my husband and I forgot what exactly was needed.

2nd question, does the employment letter for sponsor mean a letter from my workplace verifying that I am employed?? This is a problem, because although I was employed at the time I submitted the application for my husband, I am no longer working. What should I do?!

Please someone help me with this!! I really am confused on what to do, and I don't want 30 days to pass figuring it out!
You need to respond ASAP to them and tell them exactly what you just told us. If it will take longer than 30 days, advise them of this fact and tell them how long it will take. CIC will put these artificial deadlines into their letters, but as long as you respond - and have evidence of your response, you will be fine. The one downside to sending e-mail is that you probably won't get confirmation of receipt. Using your e-mail program, ask for every receipt it allows you (there are provisions for both read and receive receipts). If you don't get a receipt, send a copy of the e-mail via physical mail with a cover letter saying that you did not receive any acknowledgement of your letter so you are sending it physically to ensure that you have evidence they received it.

Without some evidence they received it, all CIC will ever do is claim they never received it.

For medicals, you should be able to go back to a Panel Physician (formerly Designated Medical Practitioner) and have the medicals repeated. Since you don't need paperwork from CIC to get a spousal medical done in the first place you shouldn't need one in order to do it again.

Presumably you also know how to obtain the necessary PCC.

Good luck!

Alice.a1

Jun 22, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Beirut
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
can anyone spicially the old members answer my question
I got my caips note recently, I found two sentences on it, I need more Explanation about them please:

.................. B............. CVB 5-JUL -2012 ---------------------------------

RFV issuance. File for your review.

..................B.............. CVB 5-JUL- 2012 ----------------------------------

File reviewed. Positive seldec entered. Police Certificate has expired.
medical 15 month passed from medical date.
CVB : request updated PC , also issue new meds.

.................B............... JKO 16-09-2012 -------------------------------
( note I have waitied tell now 22 month I did the medical 3 times ( 2010, 2011, 2012) they send me email to bring NEW PC AND MEDICAL on 17 -10-2012 ) I did them and send them both now two month
how much time still ?

thank you in advance

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
Alice.a1 said:
can anyone spicially the old members answer my question
I got my caips note recently, I found two sentences on it, I need more Explanation about them please:

.................. B............. CVB 5-JUL -2012 ---------------------------------

RFV issuance. File for your review.

..................B.............. CVB 5-JUL- 2012 ----------------------------------

File reviewed. Positive seldec entered. Police Certificate has expired.
medical 15 month passed from medical date.
CVB : request updated PC , also issue new meds.

.................B............... JKO 16-09-2012 -------------------------------
( note I have waitied tell now 22 month I did the medical 3 times ( 2010, 2011, 2012) they send me email to bring NEW PC AND MEDICAL on 17 -10-2012 ) I did them and send them both now two month
how much time still ?

thank you in advance
So basically you're done. CVB looked at your file in July and said "RFV". This means "ready for visa". The file was given to a senior officer ("JKO") who went over CVB's work in September and agreed. seldec = "selection decision" which means you've been approved.

However, because your PCC was expired, JKO asked CVB to send you the new request for an updated PCC and medicals.

If it's been two months, I'd expect you'll be hearing any day now (assuming no issue with them). It generally seems to take 2-3 months after they get the updated information for someone (probably CVB) to review the updated information and issue the PPR.

It is not unreasonable at this point to send a case-specific enquiry. That might be just enough of a bump to get someone to bring the file to CVB's attention again so you can get your PPR and visa. But at this stage it's just a matter of someone looking at the updated information and asking for your passport.

jack83

Nov 27, 2012
frege said:
I'm not so sure that it would be a good idea to try to avoid mentioning that you're getting married. In the U.S., there's a fiancé visa, but there's no such thing in Canada, so what do they expect you to do if you want to get married in Canada? Exactly what you are doing. I think it might be worse to try to hide it.

You can get a return ticket for six months from now, as you'll have six months in the country as a visitor.

You're allowed to enter Canada as a visitor even if you intend to apply for permanent residence. The border officer just needs to believe that you won't work, you won't study, and you'll leave *if* your application is rejected or your time in Canada runs out for another reason. You just need to say that you'll leave if you're not allowed to stay. Make sure you can prove that you have enough money or your fiancee has enough income to support you while you're in Canada, so they don't think you'll want to work.

If you do the in-Canada procedure it will take about 14 months to become a PR if they accept immediately that your marriage is genuine. In that case, you can work and study after about 6 months. You can stay in Canada for the entire process. If they need an interview because they're concerned about the genuineness of the marriage, the process can be *very* long and you can't work until it's over.

If you do the outside-Canada procedure, you'll go through the Rome office if you live in Greece and are a citizen of Greece. That will take about 6 to 15 months. You can't work in Canada until the end of the procedure. You can stay in Canada as a visitor, but unlike the in-Canada procedure, you have to keep renewing your visitor status every six months, and the renewal isn't automatic. (Most people on the forum who are from developed countries haven't had problems with this process.) On the other hand, if you are rejected, you'll find out sooner and you'll have better appeal rights than with the in-Canada process.
OK! Now I have 2 different opinions.
Can anyone else help me out with his opinion?
The plan is to get married in Canada, and I will stay there for 6 months knowing that I can't work (my fiancee and I are fiancially ok to support this). The question is if I have a 3 or 4 month return ticket to my country, can I stay in Canada as long as we are approved and cancel/throw away the return ticket if we get married within the first month?
Any other thoughts you have please let me know!

Alice.a1

Jun 22, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Beirut
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
computergeek said:
So basically you're done. CVB looked at your file in July and said "RFV". This means "ready for visa". The file was given to a senior officer ("JKO") who went over CVB's work in September and agreed. seldec = "selection decision" which means you've been approved.

However, because your PCC was expired, JKO asked CVB to send you the new request for an updated PCC and medicals.

If it's been two months, I'd expect you'll be hearing any day now (assuming no issue with them). It generally seems to take 2-3 months after they get the updated information for someone (probably CVB) to review the updated information and issue the PPR.

It is not unreasonable at this point to send a case-specific enquiry. That might be just enough of a bump to get someone to bring the file to CVB's attention again so you can get your PPR and visa. But at this stage it's just a matter of someone looking at the updated information and asking for your passport.
thank you very much :) I will send them an email, I wanna be with my husband before new year, we have waited sooo long time

Curious0027

Star Member
Oct 29, 2012
Tarlac City
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July 15 2012
AOR Received.
None sponsor approval august 28,2012
IELTS Request
n/a
File Transfer...
September 18 2012
Med's Done....
June 22 2012
Interview........
hopefully none
Passport Req..
March 08, 2013. March 14 IN PROCESS
VISA ISSUED...
still waiting...
LANDED..........
May 25 2013:)
Psalm said:
A perfect Gift from God..Truly that God is Good all the Time..All The Glory and Praises belong to Him alone..
..b-day after shock ..my flight is on Dec. 25 2012..(VISA GRANTED)
Maraming salamat po sa page na to..dahil dito nagkaroon ako ng maraming friends..Iloveyou all..Thank you for the admin at sa lahat ng member..hndi ko npo kau iisa-isa kc hahaba lng..

I want to share my story..hehehe.. Kaninang umaga po tumawag ako sa air21 ky Henry at tinanong ko po kng andun name ko.venirify po ny name ko..tapos ang sabi po nya out for delivery na raw po ang doc. I asked him kng visa ba un and He said that he don't know..pero now hndi ko na kailangang mag-isip po because a multiple VISA is On Hand..

I Love You All Mga sis and Bro..pray llng po tayo lagi..mas maraming nagppray mas powerful..
Congrats... August batch po kayo? Ang bilis ng processing ng papers nyo..:)

KKRSTNA

Dec 17, 2012
Last question...

I go see my boyfriend in August.
(California to ON)

I plan on staying for 6 months (my full extent as a visitor) to do a 6 month program at Algonquin college. (Not sure just yet if i'll be applying for a study permit)
Is it possible for me and my boyfriend to legally get married, say...a month or two into my visit...knowing that I'll be starting a program there in winter/spring?

Can he still sponsor me as his spouse if I'll be a student in Canada?
Will this cause any problems at all? delays?