+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

joshuacv

Jan 15, 2012
Hello,

My Japanese fiance and I are getting married in Japan in October. I have a few questions:

Does anyone have knowledge regarding the paperwork I need to be married in Japan? It's difficult to find information on this.

Once we return to Canada after the wedding, should she apply for her PR as outland even thought we don't plan on leaving the country for at least a year?

Should she have the medical check done in Japan or in Canada?

Thanks in advance for any info!

mit8383

May 18, 2012
Hi..

Finally got PPR Today Via Phone Call From High Commission, New Delhi...

spokeperson told me that u have to submit your passport only & send it to our chankyapuri address.

still is there any chance that vo demands any additional document ?

after submitting passport how long it will take for visa ?

kindly confirm the address where i can send passport ?

Can anybody help me ?

VERONICA77

Jun 5, 2012
rosellyalung said:
thanks a lot LEON for the post! god bless all of us!
Hi everyone, Not quite sure I'm doing this right, its my first time writing in a forum!! I'm currently filling out the doc's to sponsor my Italian husband to live in Quebec. Can I do so even if I've been living abroad for approx 10 years? We would like to settle in Montreal, my home town with our 2 children once the CIC confirms the application. Do I have to show my financial capability to support my family. I am also filling out the doc's so that my daughter's born in Italy could receive their Canadian citizen certificate. Is there anything else I need to do? Please help, I'm so confused with all the paperwork... Thank you! :)

KenShali

Jan 16, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-01-2011
File Transfer...
09-02-2011 Resubmit App.: 02-03-2011
Med's Done....
15-12-2010 & 15-3-2012
Interview........
02-05-2012
Passport Req..
9-10-2012
VISA ISSUED...
not yet
LANDED..........
not yet
Its really crazy knowing how long processing my file took...and finally when done with my interview and was told by the officer that she is "over convinced" that the marriage is genuine... my passport was not stamped :'(...

The reason is " we do our own background/security check, which we are waiting for...so its been two months since we applied for one and still waiting on it." ..And you know whats funny...is that i was on top of things and i had new FBI and police clearances and also new medicals done for them.
And i never heard of anyone else going through this???? :eek:

..Yet I was told i need to wait another month after my interview before my passport request is sent...hmm i waited since May 2nd...and still nothing..

I just sent an email today to buffalo...lets hope they reply quick! :(
Has anyone had an interview and got accepted for PR, yet had to wait for some background check?
IF so, what is this final background check is about??
And how long did it take to be complete?

oreidapennsyltucky

Star Member
May 23, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Sept. 13, 2011
AOR Received.
Nov. 23, 2011
Med's Done....
June 14, 2011
Passport Req..
May 1, 2012
KenShali said:
Its really crazy knowing how long processing my file took...and finally when done with my interview and was told by the officer that she is "over convinced" that the marriage is genuine... my passport was not stamped :'(...

The reason is " we do our own background/security check, which we are waiting for...so its been two months since we applied for one and still waiting on it." ..And you know whats funny...is that i was on top of things and i had new FBI and police clearances and also new medicals done for them.

..Yet I was told i need to wait another month after my interview before my passport request is sent...hmm i waited since May 2nd...and still nothing..

Has anyone had an interview and got accepted for PR, yet had to wait for some background check?
To clarify, did you send your application without your FBI clearance and now you are waiting for it before CIC will finalize your application?

Mine took either nine or 10 weeks. I requested my FBI clearance before sending my application, but it held back the process since we didn't realize the wait time. The FBI clearance takes way longer than necessary, but if you've been waiting for over a month, there is a number you can call. They won't tell you if any problems came up, but you may be able to get some general information.

ashunandal

Champion Member
Jun 23, 2011
New Delhi
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 26, 2012
File Transfer...
May 1, 2012
Interview........
July 31, 2012 (approved) went "in process" same day
Passport Req..
May 10, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
Visa stamped on August 3, 2012 and passport received back on August 13, 2012
LANDED..........
Oct 21, 2012
dawndarkharp said:
I had tried to call the CIC office from outside of Canada and got no luck, and the visa office in Sydney doesn't have anyone you can talk to in person so I thought I would post my question here if that's alright!

My spouse and I will be submitting our application for PR (me sponsoring him from NZ) in a week's time. We are both currently living together in New Zealand, but I have to return to Canada to photograph my wedding season. My spouses' father had recently passed away in a tragic accident and he wants to stay in New Zealand to help his mother and sister until I return and until our application is approved. If we send the application and I leave for Canada a month after (will be away for 2 months) will this affect our application? Does he need to return with me? His family needs his help and I do not want to cancel my bookings. :)

Thank you!
sorry to hear about your father-in-law :(
if you are a canadian citizen, you can stay anywhere NZ or Canada during process. just tell them your plans about returning to canada and attach proofs supporting your return to canada such as, admission letter from canada, letter from parents describing your plans of re-establishing in canada after return, airline ticket(if booked) and your husband cant go to canada before you get first stage approval. he can stay with his family and you can return any time and if he wants he can join you after getting sponsorship approval.
hope it helps
good luck :)

ashunandal

Champion Member
Jun 23, 2011
New Delhi
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 26, 2012
File Transfer...
May 1, 2012
Interview........
Passport Req..
May 10, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Oct 21, 2012
hariharan2020 said:
Hi,

I got a chance to read this forum when I was searching for something in Google. The information here is Invaluable. Great job guys.

I have a few questions to ask but before that, a short insight into my case:

My wife, who is a PR and I have been living in the same house for more than 2 years and have gotten married in October 2010 (19 months before). Now, eventually I have decided to apply for my PR under the spouse category. I have a valid study permit for another year.
I have gotten almost all the papers required for my application.

1. Is producing the phone record (calling each other) very important? I have other proofs included (like wedding and other pics, flight ticket abroad)
2. Can I apply for a open work permit and send it along with my application or should I wait until I hear from Immigration Canada that Iam eligible before applying for it?
3. Should I do the medical test now and send it along or it doesn't really matter if I do it now or later? as far as application processing time is concerned?

thanks in advance
hi hariharan,
you have 2 options to apply for PR, inland and outland. inland takes around 2 years and outland is different based on your country of citizenship. your name look indian, if im right you should apply outland and you can still stay in canada. if you are not indian and processing time of your country is more than a year then you can go for inland application.
phone records are not necessary, if you have other proofs to prove your relationship like, emails, chat, fb chat, rental agreement on both of your names,any other proof to show that you were living together, photos together or with friends, family, trips together etc.
and yes you need to get your medical done before you apply and include the medical receipt with your application.
hope it helps, good luck :)

ashunandal

Champion Member
Jun 23, 2011
New Delhi
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 26, 2012
File Transfer...
May 1, 2012
Interview........
Passport Req..
May 10, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Oct 21, 2012
calgaryjatt said:
Hi
I am a Canadian Citizen and I got married in Feb 2012 in India. I came back to Canada in April 2012. I has not applied for my spouse yet. Is it possible to apply in New Delhi to sponsor my spouse while i am in Canada? Would it be a good idea to apply in India? Or i should apply in Canada for my spouse?
yes you need to send your complete application package to CIC mississauga and after sponsorship approval your application will be forwarded to new delhi. new delhi takes around 3-6 months to issue PR based on different cases.
good luck

Woffles

Star Member
Feb 2, 2012
cgagnon said:
Hi Woffle,

Why is she reduced for BC Meds is it because the employer pays? If the reduction is because her employer pays then this is still considered to be a taxable benefit..and is not considered welfare. There is a form on the CRA website that needs to be filled out for change of status from single to common-law or married. It could help you in your case.
Nope, unfortunately they don't pay, he's just below the income threshold I guess. He can afford to pay it but before the PR application stuff he figured because he qualifies to pay a reduced amount he might as well. I'll get him to contact them and revert payments back to the full amount.

I will check that form out, thank you very much :)

Woffles

Star Member
Feb 2, 2012
computergeek said:
MSP premiums are income based (http://www.health.gov.bc.ca/msp/infoben/premium.html#monthly) so it isn't as if the government is "giving" your partner money - they are basing the premiums owed on his income. Thus, while I couldn't find anything clearly spelled out in writing ("MSP premium assistance (is/is not) considered social assistance for the purposes of immigration") it certainly seems that it applies to people who are earning income (and thus not otherwise on social assistance). Indeed, the MSP premium assistance rules do explicitly mention that those on social assistance also qualify for MSP premium assistance, but that seemed to be inclusive. Thus, your partner can certainly disclose it on the application if there is a question, but I suspect CIC is not going to consider that social assistance.

You CAN defer informing CRA of your change in status, but be warned that if you do so they will ask you to return any rebates/refunds for which you no longer qualify. For example, only one of you may claim the HST rebate, so if both of you are now claiming it, they will ask one (or both) of you to refund the difference. Easier just to fill out the RC65 form now and send it in (http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pbg/tf/rc65/README.html) than to receive a bill for several hundred dollars next year.

Good luck!
I just read this after replying to the first reply. That seems to make sense, I might try googling around further and see what I can turn up as I really don't want them to reject us based on such a small detail that we can just change. I'll also get him to call MSP asap and see what they say directly.

I'll get that form done as soon as we hit common-law status (July) to avoid any nasty surprises. Thank you!

PanEva

Jun 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
November 2, 2011
Interview........
September 26, 2012
Woffles said:
I just read this after replying to the first reply. That seems to make sense, I might try googling around further and see what I can turn up as I really don't want them to reject us based on such a small detail that we can just change. I'll also get him to call MSP asap and see what they say directly.

I'll get that form done as soon as we hit common-law status (July) to avoid any nasty surprises. Thank you!
Please post here what you find about the MSP detail. I would like to know if reduced MSP is considered as social assistance.

nicelina

Star Member
Apr 24, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
poland-warsaw
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-06-2012
AOR Received.
11-october-2012 from poland
File Transfer...
18-09-2012
Med's Done....
28-05-2012
Passport Req..
23-11-2012
VISA ISSUED...
27-11-2012
hello! i have one question, and i am quiet confused.
so, i overstayed my visa 2 years! i am in common law with my boyfriend, we are applying outland in next two days. i am living in canada! in application forms, which address i should write? my canadian address or my home country?

thank you everyone for help!

AW2011

Oct 26, 2011
KenShali said:

I am sorry that it took so long for you to have the interview and now you're still in limbo. With Buffalo's closing, your file would have been transferred somewhere. It will likely add to your waiting time unfortunately. But at least you had the interview. Ours was scheduled and confirmed for middle of June months ago and they just cancelled it for us. Now we have to wait to be contacted and cancel do our flights and hotel bookins. Who know when it's going to be!!!
Through all the spousal Buffalo posts here, interviewed applicants got their visas right after. They don't normally do the interview till all checks are done. I hope your wait won't be long.

Deficient

Feb 22, 2012
Montreal, Quebec
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27/02/2012
Doc's Request.
11/07/2012 [CSQ]
File Transfer...
08/06/2012
Med's Request
Signature has med furtherance details
Med's Done....
10/02/2012
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
01/11/2012
Does anybody know what happens when one is given a medical furtherance deadline from CIC but does not meet the deadline?

I was sent a letter from CHC-London dated 9 March asking me to undergo further medical tests and a follow up x-ray and to have a report submitted ruling out TB, and the letter stated that they want all of that within 90 days of the date on the letter. It's now 3 days from the 90 days deadline and, due to various hold ups and having only had my final meeting with the doctor a week ago, the doctor writing the report doesn't seem to have produced anything yet. So it's surely not going to be submitted on time even if I chase him for it now.

The letter from CHC-London was addressed to the wrong address but did luckily arrive, and when informing CHC-London of the incorrect address by case-specific enquiry I received an auto-reply informing me that they await documents requested in a letter dated 28 March (which was the day before the 9 March letter was postmarked, or in other words they sat on it for almost 3 weeks before sending it, but there's nothing I can do about that really). I am hopeful that their system doesn't auto-fail my medical before 28 March if it seems to think that was the date on the letter, if auto-failing a medical is something that actually happens.

I should mention that the rest of my application still hasn't made it out of Mississauga yet so they are not yet at the point of being matched up.

Any insights? Am I basically just going to have my medical automatically failed, and is there any way for that to be rectified? Will this cause my whole application to be rejected?

Deficient

Feb 22, 2012
Montreal, Quebec
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27/02/2012
Doc's Request.
11/07/2012 [CSQ]
File Transfer...
08/06/2012
Med's Request
Signature has med furtherance details
Med's Done....
10/02/2012
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
01/11/2012
Concerning my last post, I just found this in the family class manual

7.4. Time limit for submitting supporting documents or information
Sponsored members of the family class must submit supporting documents or information, as
described in the application guide, with their submissions. The visa office will determine whether
the submission satisfies R10 and R11 and can be considered an application and date stamped
received. Once the application is date stamped, the visa office will ensure that all required
supporting documents have been received. If the documents are missing or information is not
sufficient, inform applicants:
• that they have 90 days to provide the missing information (time frames may vary depending
on documentation required and circumstances); and
• that failure to provide missing information by the deadline may result in refusal.
The 90-day period begins on the date of the visa office's written notification to the applicant.
If missing information is submitted within the 90-day period, then processing may continue.
If applicants do not respond within the 90-day period, continue processing towards a decision. A
decision should be based on the information that is available and before the officer.
That last bit that I made bold sounds a whole lot like they'll carry on making their determination of my medical without the additional info. Awesome.

I swear not a single thing about this whole process wants to go right for me.