+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

Tarikla

Star Member
Nov 20, 2023
It seems that IRCC stopped giving any medical request for a couple months already, if various trackers are to be believed. Only people who already had a medical exam for a previous application already on file got their medical passed, everyone else is waiting.

It is unclear why this is happening, but in any case, background checks are always what make applications take so much time for PR sponsorship, so as long as this situation is resolved by the time people start having their background check done, nothing is changing for their timelines.

umarusmani12

Jan 23, 2024
My wife applied for my PR in spousal category in July 2023. Then I received AOR in September 2023. Also my medical and biometrics have been done. My medical was updated on 2nd November 2023. Till now, my application is undergoing background check and eligibility is showing not started yet. Can anyone tell me normally how much time it takes?

Thanks

Reactions: Home_13579

SCcanuck

Dec 4, 2023
My wife applied for my PR in spousal category in July 2023. Then I received AOR in September 2023. Also my medical and biometrics have been done. My medical was updated on 2nd November 2023. Till now, my application is undergoing background check and eligibility is showing not started yet. Can anyone tell me normally how much time it takes?

Thanks
That depends if you are applying to Quebec or other parts of canada. You can also go to https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/check-processing-times.html and check the processing times.

hanzi4389604

Nov 27, 2023
Have you gotten medical request letter yet? For inland, you dont have to do anything for pre arrival letter. Its just an automated letter that is sent out. However, I have seen eligibility being completed and as a result, the pre arrival letter is sent out.
yes, the eligibility is completed, and sponsorship approved today. No medical request was found. Mississauga office.

GloryAlemseged

Star Member
Jun 16, 2023
Hello gentlemen’s

cic portal says there is no minimum income for spousal sponsorship, but some ircc staff said the officer may assess sponsors yearly minimum income.
Here, my wife yearly employment income is not more than 20,000 CAD. So does she become eligible to sponsor me?

Tarikla

Star Member
Nov 20, 2023
Hello gentlemen’s

cic portal says there is no minimum income for spousal sponsorship, but some ircc staff said the officer may assess sponsors yearly minimum income.
Here, my wife yearly employment income is not more than 20,000 CAD. So does she become eligible to sponsor me?
There is no minimum, but the sponsor is supposed to have enough to cater for the PA while the sponsorship is underway, and also have enough to repay Canada is the PA get social benefits (that doesn't include EI or healthcare) during the duration of the undertaking.

With only 20K CAD a year, IRCC may question how she can care for herself let alone you during the sponsorship and undertaking. This is a very low amount to even live alone in Canada, and she may have to provide proof she can cover for the both of you.

Na2023

Feb 28, 2023
Hi Everyone,
Could you kindly advise our case below?
I've applied for sponsoring my partner in October 2023. My partner's work permit will be expiring in 8 months. However, we got a Procuredure Fairness letter (which we are working with a consultant to address their concerns and will send an explanation letter next week). I wonder if my partner can apply for the open work permit during the PFL process (as I've heard that no identified timeline for their response to PFL). Thank you.

eric786110

Star Member
Jun 7, 2017
Hey guys i was hoping if someone can shed some light on my current situation. I am a canadian citizen residing in canada i want to sponsor my wife,she is also currently in canada. We are currently waiting on our marriage certificate we were told it takes about 8 weeks to receive. But the issue is i have some family commitment’s in USA for which i have to stay in the states for 4-5 months. Is there a way we can start our spousal application while i am in USA and my wife in canada ?
Thanks

Master5678

Star Member
May 11, 2023
It seems that IRCC stopped giving any medical request for a couple months already, if various trackers are to be believed. Only people who already had a medical exam for a previous application already on file got their medical passed, everyone else is waiting.

It is unclear why this is happening, but in any case, background checks are always what make applications take so much time for PR sponsorship, so as long as this situation is resolved by the time people start having their background check done, nothing is changing for their timelines.
When did you apply and get aor?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hey guys i was hoping if someone can shed some light on my current situation. I am a canadian citizen residing in canada i want to sponsor my wife,she is also currently in canada. We are currently waiting on our marriage certificate we were told it takes about 8 weeks to receive. But the issue is i have some family commitment’s in USA for which i have to stay in the states for 4-5 months. Is there a way we can start our spousal application while i am in USA and my wife in canada ?
Thanks
Apply 'outland.' Spouse can still be in Canada (best if she remain in status i.e. with valid vistor status, extend if necessary).

akh136

Star Member
Apr 18, 2019
Hello guys
need some important advice.
I wife's spousal application is currently in process and last week I was laid off from my job due to slow business and overall macroeconomic scenario here in Canada.
I haven't yet applied for employment assistance because I am not sure what implocations it will have when we apply for tourist visa post getting the AOR. Can anyone please advise what may be the implications? should I apply for employee assistance or should wait

Reactions: Home_13579