+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

Flyingfast

Feb 9, 2022
Documents your family members will get
If your family members are outside Canada

We’ll send them these documents once we finish processing their application:

You are wrong. That is only for an out of Canada application. Inland is different.

Tarikla

Star Member
Nov 20, 2023
I have a technical question for filling the PR inland application for my spouse:

When she came to live with me, we brought too much of her stuff for a temporary resident, and the border officer asked us to go back to the US, put all unessential items in a storage unit, and come back. We did just that, came back the same day and my spouse was granted entry with a visitor record.

From my understanding, this counts as a refusal to enter Canada, and should be declared as such in the IMM 5669 (Schedule A Background Declaration), with the details provided that my spouse was granted entry the same day after clearing the problem, right?

Would that impede her chances of getting a PR or the OWP?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I have a technical question for filling the PR inland application for my spouse:

When she came to live with me, we brought too much of her stuff for a temporary resident, and the border officer asked us to go back to the US, put all unessential items in a storage unit, and come back. We did just that, came back the same day and my spouse was granted entry with a visitor record.

From my understanding, this counts as a refusal to enter Canada, and should be declared as such in the IMM 5669 (Schedule A Background Declaration), with the details provided that my spouse was granted entry the same day after clearing the problem, right?

Would that impede her chances of getting a PR or the OWP?
If you're not certain whether it was a refusal or not, ALWAYS declare it to IRCC and provide a short letter of explanation. [Because if you're wrong and it was considered a refusal, you've omitted important and material info - i.e. misrepresentation.]

No, refusals of this sort won't impede chances of getting PR/OWP. It's possible it might add a small amount of time in processing while they check the history.

Reactions: Tarikla

danger52

Nov 15, 2023
Question about IMM523e -- Relationship Information and Sponsorship Evaluation.

Aside: I am filling this PDF out probably many weeks before submitting.

For Part 1, Sponsor's Employment History...
  1. What should I put for the end date if I am currently employed at said investor
  2. What should I put for my salary if my T4 lists (fake example: 80k) but in April I got promoted and now my slary; to be reflected in my next year's T4 is 95k?
  3. If my company was acquired by another company and changed its name, should I mark the acquisition date as the official start date?
For Part 3, Other Financially dependent people.

1. I live with my parents an they own the house. I pay the bills as my "rent" for living with them. They buy their own food and do their own shopping. Do they count as dependent on me? My rent is way lower than average rent in my area.

For Part 5, Address History

1. Do these need to be addresses reflected on your Driver's license only? I was studying in a different city but did not change my legal mailing address anywhere.
  2. I have lived at this house for 15+ years but do not know the exact date. Can I just put the start date as some date 5 years ago?

Thank you so much ahead of time.

Go123

Star Member
Sep 14, 2021
Hi guys,

I’m working on my spouse’s sponsorship outland application.

A quick question, can I combine letter of explanation and required document in the same file? For example, letter of explanation of financial support and bank statements in the same pdf file. Is it ok?

Thanks

Funbox

Star Member
Sep 27, 2015
Calgary, Canada
Hi guys,

I’m working on my spouse’s sponsorship outland application.

A quick question, can I combine letter of explanation and required document in the same file? For example, letter of explanation of financial support and bank statements in the same pdf file. Is it ok?

Thanks
I'm wondering the same (not specifically about financial support, but in general). My thought is that it would make sense to have the letter of explanation at the end of each document that needs explanation, instead of having it in a separate document.

Along the same lines, would it be better to combine documents that aim to fulfill a specific requirement of the checklist or leave them all separate? For instance, combining the proof of joint bank accounts with proof of joint utility bills (e.g. telephone, electricity, etc) to show that we are living at the same address.

Maybe I'm overthinking it, but what makes me wonder if IRCC prefers separate documents is one of the requirements in the checklist about photos that says the following: "Please upload a separate document providing a brief explanation of the context of each photo". I'd think that it would be easier for them to get a PDF with photos and the explanation under each of them instead of a separate document. But, apparently, they do want another file just with the explanation.

Sorry if these are dumb questions, but any insight would be appreciated.

Reactions: Go123

hamasi

Star Member
Jun 16, 2018
Hi everyone, just starting our application. my partner lives with me in Canada; she came with a student visa a few months ago. for this question: Is the dependant accompanying you? what should be my answer? I said no, but then it asked me the reason why not!

Master5678

Star Member
May 11, 2023
I'm wondering the same (not specifically about financial support, but in general). My thought is that it would make sense to have the letter of explanation at the end of each document that needs explanation, instead of having it in a separate document.

Along the same lines, would it be better to combine documents that aim to fulfill a specific requirement of the checklist or leave them all separate? For instance, combining the proof of joint bank accounts with proof of joint utility bills (e.g. telephone, electricity, etc) to show that we are living at the same address.

Maybe I'm overthinking it, but what makes me wonder if IRCC prefers separate documents is one of the requirements in the checklist about photos that says the following: "Please upload a separate document providing a brief explanation of the context of each photo". I'd think that it would be easier for them to get a PDF with photos and the explanation under each of them instead of a separate document. But, apparently, they do want another file just with the explanation.

Sorry if these are dumb questions, but any insight would be appreciated.
I did what you described. I wrote the description under each picture. Personally i dont think it matters.

Reactions: Funbox

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hi everyone, just starting our application. my partner lives with me in Canada; she came with a student visa a few months ago. for this question: Is the dependant accompanying you? what should be my answer? I said no, but then it asked me the reason why not!
Are you a PR and applying to sponsor your spouse?

If you're not already a PR - wrong part of the forum.

Tarikla

Star Member
Nov 20, 2023
I have more questions regarding Inland applications:

My spouse has a 1 week trip in the US planned for August 2024. By that time, if her OWP isn't denied, she should've already got it according to current processing times. But she does plan only to work part-time and/or pursue online money-making opportunities such as commissions once she has that OWP.

Would that 1-week trip outside of Canada endanger her PR application? I won't be traveling with her either, would she encounter a problem coming back to Canada on an OWP with potentially no Canadian employer having hired her?

danger52

Nov 15, 2023
I have been employed at the same employer (very large company thats pretty known in North America) for the last 5 years, but the company has a Canadian "sub company" which is a holding company and they kept changing names.

So for example, my last T4s have names like:

1. 2022 -- "Company A Inc"
2. 2021 -- "Company B"
3. 2020 -- "Company B"

This year's pay slips use "Company A ULC"

Does that mean I need to break down each of these into separate Employers?

Reactions: Go123

Funbox

Star Member
Sep 27, 2015
Calgary, Canada
I have been employed at the same employer (very large company thats pretty known in North America) for the last 5 years, but the company has a Canadian "sub company" which is a holding company and they kept changing names.

So for example, my last T4s have names like:

1. 2022 -- "Company A Inc"
2. 2021 -- "Company B"
3. 2020 -- "Company B"

This year's pay slips use "Company A ULC"

Does that mean I need to break down each of these into separate Employers?
I would break down each of those into separate employers and add a letter of explanation saying what you just described. In my opinion (I'm no expert), it is better to add as much information as you can to avoid claims that you were omitting information.

By the way, do you need to include the T4s? According to the checklist, you need to include a letter from your employer with some information, and EITHER the last Notice of Assessment or the Proof of Income Statement (which is the document you can get from CRA).

Reactions: danger52

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I got copr in my pr traker on nov 15 but I didn’t get the ppr yet . Is there anyone has the same issue ?
"Getting" COPR in the tracker just means they've assigned a document number. On its own, it's meaningless. Normal part of the file moving forward but does not tell you anything about timing.

Reactions: Aloysin