+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I know to get CoPR will take time but i am concerning about the OWP. Does anyone have an idea when I can have my OWP after pre arrival letter (I have applied it together with the Sponsorship application). I found a lot of jobs that I can do and I would like to apply but I cannot just because I need a WP.

Waiting for PR without working is so frustrating.
Given the new policy where all (outland and inland) can apply for OWP and that even before this, it was recommended to apply after approval in principle, my suggestion would be to apply again for OWP. It may have been mislaid or left aside and likely no automatic system to have it pulled forward.

Only wrinkle is, I don't know if it's actually permissible to have two OWPs at once - but if I'm right it hasn't been put into processing, it may not matter.

Apart from that, can only suggest contacting IRCC (eg by phone) to ask or your MP's office. Although I'm skeptical they could tell you much unless it is literally in-process-about-to-be-issued. It's not impossible an inquiry esp from MP could dislodge it but again - no way to know.

Note, given delays reported on some Quebec spousal files, I woudln't want to just wait either.

Reactions: Sunshine152

Sunshine152

Jul 22, 2023
Thank you for your advice!
I will call IRCC for checking then see if we need to re-apply for a new OWP. Hopefully we don’t need to ()
Have a nice day!!!

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thank you for your advice!
I will call IRCC for checking then see if we need to re-apply for a new OWP. Hopefully we don’t need to ()
Have a nice day!!!
I don't know how complex the procedure of re-applying but I'd be really tempted to just apply again - by which I mean, if you get vague reassurances that the existing OWP will be 'done eventually' but they can't give any specifics at all, I'd tend not to believe.

Good luck.

ERCAN

Jan 25, 2023
Given the new policy where all (outland and inland) can apply for OWP and that even before this, it was recommended to apply after approval in principle, my suggestion would be to apply again for OWP. It may have been mislaid or left aside and likely no automatic system to have it pulled forward.

Only wrinkle is, I don't know if it's actually permissible to have two OWPs at once - but if I'm right it hasn't been put into processing, it may not matter.

Apart from that, can only suggest contacting IRCC (eg by phone) to ask or your MP's office. Although I'm skeptical they could tell you much unless it is literally in-process-about-to-be-issued. It's not impossible an inquiry esp from MP could dislodge it but again - no way to know.

Note, given delays reported on some Quebec spousal files, I woudln't want to just wait either.
Your suggestion to apply for OWP only after AIP, can you elaborate on the subject? I thought one needs AOR only to apply

ERCAN

Jan 25, 2023
Hi All,

I am looking advices on my case:

Type: Spouse sponsorship - Quebec destination - Inland
My Spouse is a Canadien citizen (Québécois)
Application date: 17 Dec 2022
Biometric: Completed
Medical Exam: Completed
Eligibility check: Completed
Pre Arrival Letter: 21 Jul 2023
Background check: In progress

I know to get CoPR will take time but i am concerning about the OWP. Does anyone have an idea when I can have my OWP after pre arrival letter (I have applied it together with the Sponsorship application). I found a lot of jobs that I can do and I would like to apply but I cannot just because I need a WP.

Waiting for PR without working is so frustrating.

Thank you and appreciate all the answers.
By any chance, are you aware of the dates when was your eligibility started and finished?

Reactions: UKCitizen007

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Your suggestion to apply for OWP only after AIP, can you elaborate on the subject? I thought one needs AOR only to apply
I believe this was the suggestion before the new policy, my point was that it seemed the other poster applied early at that point, too. But I'm not sure I ahd that right either.

But repeat: now suggested only to get AOR first, as you noted.

Reactions: ERCAN

ERCAN

Jan 25, 2023
I believe this was the suggestion before the new policy, my point was that it seemed the other poster applied early at that point, too. But I'm not sure I ahd that right either.

But repeat: now suggested only to get AOR first, as you noted.
Thank you. I thought that I missed something important :)

UKCitizen007

Jul 17, 2023
Thank you. I thought that I missed something important :)
Its an nightmare to get an OWP inland
I've completed all stages (applied march 31st 2023)
Received AOR, medical passed, biometrics, SA and AIP. Just waiting g on background checks..
Applied for my open work permit 120 days ago still haven't heard anything. Seems my PR is moving quicker than OWP which is extremely frustrating.

• Wow

ERCAN

Jan 25, 2023
Its an nightmare to get an OWP inland
I've completed all stages (applied march 31st 2023)
Received AOR, medical passed, biometrics, SA and AIP. Just waiting g on background checks..
Applied for my open work permit 120 days ago still haven't heard anything. Seems my PR is moving quicker than OWP which is extremely frustrating.
Well, I guess I will have to see it myself soon.

UKCitizen007

Jul 17, 2023
SOWP is available only from within Canada so no choice here
Depends you can only get an SOWP for some programs... if your partner is Canadian tho you apply for an OWP and if ur partner is a PR redisnet or on a study visa ect.. you apply for a SOWP. Both inland will take 145 days doesn't matter if it is Sowp or owp

Sunshine152

Jul 22, 2023
I don't know how complex the procedure of re-applying but I'd be really tempted to just apply again - by which I mean, if you get vague reassurances that the existing OWP will be 'done eventually' but they can't give any specifics at all, I'd tend not to believe.

Good luck.
Thank you! I think you are right. I will make a call then will apply for another OWP if there is no significant reply!
Have a nice evening!

Reactions: armoured