+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship without job

Aakash Evans

Sep 22, 2014
Hello Everyone,

I did my soft landing in November 2017 and got married in December 2017. I permanently shifted on February 20th and applying for spousal sponsorship. I am currently searching for a job. In the meantime, I am also doing freelancing which is paying me enough. Can I do the application? Will it be safe? I do understand that there is no clause which says that you need a job but I am just curious. Any chances of rejection because of this?

Wakki

Champion Member
Sep 18, 2017
Hello Everyone,

I did my soft landing in November 2017 and got married in December 2017. I permanently shifted on February 20th and applying for spousal sponsorship. I am currently searching for a job. In the meantime, I am also doing freelancing which is paying me enough. Can I do the application? Will it be safe? I do understand that there is no clause which says that you need a job but I am just curious. Any chances of rejection because of this?
There is no low income cut-off (LICO) for spousal sponsorship......however, you will need to show that you can support the person you are sponsoring.

Refer....to the checklist.....

If you are not working in Canada, provide other documentation showing that you can support the person(s) you are sponsoring. This must
include a detailed explanation of how you plan to support yourself and the sponsored person(s) on a separate piece of paper.

Who can’t become a sponsor.......

Aakash Evans

Sep 22, 2014
There is no low income cut-off (LICO) for spousal sponsorship......however, you will need to show that you can support the person you are sponsoring.

Refer....to the checklist.....

If you are not working in Canada, provide other documentation showing that you can support the person(s) you are sponsoring. This must
include a detailed explanation of how you plan to support yourself and the sponsored person(s) on a separate piece of paper.

Who can’t become a sponsor.......
Thank you for the response.

Also, I did my soft landing in November 2017 for 10 days. I have filed my tax for 2017. Right now I don't have a job and I am going to show my freelancing income. So the question is, do I need to show the tax-related documents or option c form?

Wakki

Champion Member
Sep 18, 2017

Also, I did my soft landing in November 2017 for 10 days. I have filed my tax for 2017. Right now I don't have a job and I am going to show my freelancing income. So the question is, do I need to show the tax-related documents or option c form?
You have filed your tax for 2017.........so should have the NOA for 2017........and you are currently searching for a job.........will advice you provide....

1. NOA 2017
2. Provide documentation of your freelancing, income and other documentation showing that you can support the person(s) you are sponsoring.
This must include a detailed explanation of how you plan to support yourself and the sponsored person(s) on a separate piece of paper.

If you are not receive social assistance, i think you should be okay to sponsor.......as there is no minimum income requirement for sponsoring a spouse.

Last edited:

Ictyyz

Star Member
Mar 16, 2018
Is it possible for the poster to get a letter from family members saying they will help provide with shelter, food and cloths? Should the letter be notarized? Would this even help?

Aakash Evans

Sep 22, 2014
You have filed your tax for 2017.........so should have the NOA for 2017........and you are currently searching for a job.........will advice you provide....

1. NOA 2017
2. Provide documentation of your freelancing, income and other documentation showing that you can support the person(s) you are sponsoring.
This must include a detailed explanation of how you plan to support yourself and the sponsored person(s) on a separate piece of paper.

If you are not receive social assistance, i think you should be okay to sponsor.......as there is no minimum income requirement for sponsoring a spouse.
Yes, I am not receiving any social assistance.

There is a question related to the source of income 1) if you are working in Canada 2) if you are not working in Canada.
What should I mention there? I am obviously doing my freelancing from Canada. Does that make me choose option 1? Because ideally, it would be option 1 if I was working for an employer. Since i am not working for an employer, they can trace it via. my SIN which won't have any employer against it?

Totally confused in this one!!

Wakki

Champion Member
Sep 18, 2017
Yes, I am not receiving any social assistance.

There is a question related to the source of income 1) if you are working in Canada 2) if you are not working in Canada.
What should I mention there? I am obviously doing my freelancing from Canada. Does that make me choose option 1? Because ideally, it would be option 1 if I was working for an employer. Since i am not working for an employer, they can trace it via. my SIN which won't have any employer against it?

Totally confused in this one!!
You are making money......those who do independent work, and don't pay tax on income at source are suppose to declare income, pay tax when they file for tax.........the income from your freelancing is how you currently support yourself......you have to decide, advice your submit your application on time as processing takes 10 to 12 months to complete.

Riya3102

May 31, 2018

Hi would u be able to tell me how your case went? I am in a similar situation?

Bella00

Nov 11, 2020
I got appproved and only showed savings
Hello,
I am in a Similar situation. It would be so kind if you could advice on how much savings and when did you start the procedure of application post landing in Canada.

Thanks.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Hello,
I am in a Similar situation. It would be so kind if you could advice on how much savings and when did you start the procedure of application post landing in Canada.

Thanks.
His last post... he was request to show intend to move back to Canada. He stopped posting since 2021.
No. He didn't get "approved". He got SA but his application didn't finished as of his last post.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello,

Thanks.
There is no exact amount and also depends on your family size. I would try to secure a job during the sponsorship process and update your file. if you remain unemployed for the duration of the sponsorship process like around 30k+. Since job market is good and jobs are available.