+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal Sponsorship when Sponsor has not met RO before PR expires

nickolas_ua

Sep 11, 2014
Hey guys, are there here any success stories when you applied to sponsor your wife but you have not yet met RO before your PR expires and eventually got approved as a sponsor? OR did not get approved?

I know there have been many discussion on this forum, and general suggestion is to wait until the Sponsor meets residency obligations and sponsor only after that.

However, I have talked to 2 different lawyers last week and both of them said it does not matter, if RO obligations are met or not on the moment we apply to Spousal Sponsorship (Inland)?

Any success examples here or non-success examples?

Thanks all,
Nick

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
To the best of my knowledge the only examples we've seen here have been those that haven't succeed. In other words, when the spouse didn't meet RO and tried to sponsor their spouse, the application ended up being refused and keeping their own PR became problematic. Don't apply until you meet RO unless you want big problems.

hkalltheway

Star Member
Oct 6, 2011
I sponsored my spouse from within Canada without meeting my RO. I had stayed in Canada for 3 months in a five year period, and upon re-entering Canada, I was questioned by CBSA. My wife and son were accompanying me on visitor visas. I explained why I was outside Canada for so long with necessary Humanitarian and Compassionate grounds documents, and they accepted. They asked if I intended to sponsor, for which I replied, Yes. We were all admitted.

Below applies to our INLAND application:

However, things were different when the application was received by CIC. What happens in this case is that when they look at your application and start processing it (7 months after receiving application in our case), they transferred it to local office. That delay was another 10-12 months. They basically suspend the sponsorship application until they are able to "determine your permanent residence status." In this case, the delays and transferring to local office worked in our favor, as every day that went by was counting towards meeting the residency application. IF THEY DO NOT ISSUE YOU AN A(44) report (removal order), your days continue to count. By the time an officer had time to review the file, I was back in compliance with my residency obligation, and the application continued to be processed. After two and half years since applying, my wife and child have since become permanent residents two weeks ago :)

Reactions: patrickjones

HHH2000

Star Member
Jan 28, 2014
nickolas_ua said:
Hey guys, are there here any success stories when you applied to sponsor your wife but you have not yet met RO before your PR expires and eventually got approved as a sponsor? OR did not get approved?

I know there have been many discussion on this forum, and general suggestion is to wait until the Sponsor meets residency obligations and sponsor only after that.

However, I have talked to 2 different lawyers last week and both of them said it does not matter, if RO obligations are met or not on the moment we apply to Spousal Sponsorship (Inland)?

Any success examples here or non-success examples?

Thanks all,
Nick
There could be some success stories but probability is very low with very high risk factor i.e 1:1000, whereas the one who would be successful might have to wait so long as he would have done so safely without applying like 2 years or more waiting time as compare to normal 6 months.

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
nickolas_ua said:
.........However, I have talked to 2 different lawyers last week and both of them said it does not matter, if RO obligations are met or not on the moment we apply to Spousal Sponsorship (Inland)?......

Thanks all,
Nick
Ask the 2 lawyers to refer you to actual cases they have handled in this scenario so you can discuss with the client how it worked out. If it did then thousands of PRs would be doing this and getting joy from CIC which they are not. If you have H&C reasons for breaching the RO and in particular have had a PRTD issued then there is a possibility that CIC will take the same view and exempt you from the 730 days for sponsorship. If your breach was because of your dream job overseas then no dice......I continue to fail to see how 730 days can be any less or more than what the number states!