+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship: Police certificate ?

engmua86

Apr 13, 2012
Hi,
I am applying to sponsor my husband who has lived in Montreal for two years and now in Ottawa for another two years. Is he required to get a police certificate from both territories?

The check list says:
"You must get a police certificate from each country or territory were you lived for six or more months in a row since the age of 18."

Canadian_Irish_

Star Member
May 27, 2016
engmua86 said:
Hi,
I am applying to sponsor my husband who has lived in Montreal for two years and now in Ottawa for another two years. Is he required to get a police certificate from both territories?

The check list says:
"You must get a police certificate from each country or territory were you lived for six or more months in a row since the age of 18."
Your husband does not need a police certificate from Canada upfront. If they require a criminal record check CIC will request it.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/security/police-cert/north-america/canada.asp

It's all other countries police certificates are required upfront.

sawadee-eh

Star Member
Nov 25, 2015
Canadian_Irish_ said:
Your husband does not need a police certificate from Canada upfront. If they require a criminal record check CIC will request it.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/security/police-cert/north-america/canada.asp

It's all other countries police certificates are required upfront.
Not 100% accurate. It can depend on if it's an inland or outland application.

Also, as per CIC's website, although a police certificate may be required from a country that someone lived in, for some specific countries CIC states not to send them upfront and to wait until the VO requests it.
Here's an example http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/security/police-cert/asia-pacific/singapore.asp

The reason is that some countries won't run a check without an official request letter from the concerned party.

In general, it is preferable to send any required police check upfront if possible to avoid delays in processing.

As stated, one isn't needed for Canada unless asked.

engmua86

Apr 13, 2012
sawadee-eh said:
Not 100% accurate. It can depend on if it's an inland or outland application.

Also, as per CIC's website, although a police certificate may be required from a country that someone lived in, for some specific countries CIC states not to send them upfront and to wait until the VO requests it.
Here's an example

The reason is that some countries won't run a check without an official request letter from the concerned party.

In general, it is preferable to send any required police check upfront if possible to avoid delays in processing.

As stated, one isn't needed for Canada unless asked.
Thank you!
I would prefer to send it with the original application to avoid any fuiture request and mail delays.
However, my question still,
Do I need to apply for this certificate from QC and ON since my husband lived there for more than 6 months OR it is the same for across Canada?

Canadian_Irish_

Star Member
May 27, 2016
engmua86 said:
Thank you!
I would prefer to send it with the original application to avoid any fuiture request and mail delays.
However, my question still,
Do I need to apply for this certificate from QC and ON since my husband lived there for more than 6 months OR it is the same for across Canada?
Same across Canada. One is not required unless asked.