+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal Sponsorship: Likelihood of an Interview

Declan_Scully

Jun 8, 2008
My Canadian fiancee and I met last year in August in Vancouver, when I was there on a year-long student work abroad program. We are getting married this September in Northern Canada, applying for PR sponsorship shortly thereafter while I am living with her family on a visitor's visa.. I am from the Republic of Ireland, so we are applying through London. We are both low income at the moment, so will only be having a small ceremony, but we will be sending plenty of photos from throughout our relationship in with our application. I am a university graduate in the sciences and she is a student who is finishing up a degree in History. We are trying to decide whether in-Canada or out-of-Canada application would be our best bet. If we are not called for an interview to London, out-of-Canada seems likely to be fastest. . . so in that case. . . how likely is it that we would end up being called for an interview? How "genuine" does our relationship seem to the CIC?

Thanks!

ThirstyDeer

Star Member
Feb 10, 2008
The likelihood of an interview being requested depends on 2 things:

1) How solid an application package you put together, and
2) The IO who handles your case believes it is a strong enough application to waive the interview

My wife recently went through London as well, even though she lived in Canada prior to receiving PR approval (she moved here during the application). We took the chance that we wouldn't need the interview. It worked. Here is our timeline:

March 3 - Application sent to CIC-M
March 6 - Application received by CIC-M
April 1 - Application process started
April 2 - Approved for sponsorship
April 14 - Application process started at CHC London
May 22 - PPR and photos request by CHC London
June 30 - PR visa received from CHC London
July 15 - Wife became a PR at the Stewart, BC port of entry

I guess, in short, it all depends on what "proof" you send to CIC, and how convincing it is.

RobsLuv

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Original:14Mar2007; Reprocess began after appeal:26Apr2010
Doc's Request.
Original:9May'07; Reprocess:7May'10
AOR Received.
Original:28Apr'07; Reprocess:26Apr'10
File Transfer...
n/a
Med's Request
Reprocessing:7May2010
Med's Done....
Jun2010
Interview........
n/a
Passport Req..
30Nov2010!!
VISA ISSUED...
31Dec2010!!
LANDED..........
31Jan2011
I agree - if you put together your application carefully, and include all of the evidences that your relationship is about falling in love with each other, and not about getting you status in Canada, it's likely there won't be an interview. The fact that you met while you were in Canada with a legal work permit is in your favour. A big wedding is not necessary . . . it's the quality of the evidence you provide . . . lots of pictures of the two of you together and especially pics of you with other members of your extended families and friends. If you've made trips together, especially for her to meet your family members, etc., be sure to include that information also.

Outside Canada is faster - just be sure that you keep your temporary status current if you're intending to stay with her in Canada while waiting for the PR to be approved. It sounds like you have maybe gone back to Ireland because you say you "were in Canada on a year long work visa". If so, be careful coming back to Canada that you don't tell the IOs that you're coming to marry your fiance and that you intend to stay in Canada while your PR ap is being processed. Keep it casual - and have a return trip itinerary, even if it costs you a bit more. You need only to stay that you're coming to Canada for a visit - it will be plausible if you explain that you were here on a work visa and you're coming back to holiday with some friends you met during that time.

umar fayyaz

Sep 17, 2010
Hi,

You have been supporting alot of people.

please help if you can.

I am living in United Kingdom and i am a Pakistani National I am on Student visa in uk which expires in April 2011.

I would like to get married to a canadian national who is coming to uk, if they have a religious ceremony and get a religious ceremony certificate then can you apply for the canadian visa. and how do I apply or should i go to pakistan and get married then apply.

If he goes to Pakistan and perform marriage over there and takes his medical from UK how long would it take him to get the visa after they apply.

How long can it take me.
Please advise.

Thank you