05/10/2017
Med's Request
19/07/2017
Med's Done....
03/08/2017
LANDED..........
10/19/2017
- Application Confirmation received from cic 04-20-2017
- Email to link application received 5-11-2017.
- Schedule A requested 05-18-2017 ( police certificate submitted with the main document submission )
- OWP 06-18-2017

Do I still need to provide any documentation or are they going to request for more for the background check apart from schedule A and police certificate?
Okay....its hard to say . It all depends on cic and the persons conducting the search. They mat or may not request additional documents. But to start background check the only need the sch A and pcc for every country you stayed in for more than 6 months

Reactions: Brittanyyyc

serena0210

Mar 17, 2017
Hi serena0210. I was very confused about imm 5406 too. However after I browsed here and read the guide, I finally wrote down my husband, my father and mother, all my sister and brother, and you are right, those family members are not apply immigration with me. Don't forget to write down their name in your language beside their English name. That's what I understand. Good Luck!
good luck too!! thanks for reply my question :)

Brittanyyyc

Star Member
Mar 10, 2017
Okay....its hard to say . It all depends on cic and the persons conducting the search. They mat or may not request additional documents. But to start background check the only need the sch A and pcc for every country you stayed in for more than 6 months

Thanks KandyK

Reactions: KandyK

jnt2017

Apr 26, 2017
My husband's OWP shows up as approved on My CIC as of yesterday! We submitted the Application on May 31, 2017. Now waiting for it to show up in the mail, and for the next step in the process as his Schedule A and Police Certificate have been uploaded already.

Reactions: christinebear

jnt2017

Apr 26, 2017
We are really stressed. Don't want to make a mistake as it will cost us, his study permit ends on July 31. Please help!!
Hi there, unfortunately I'm not knowledgeable enough about this type of situation as I'm sure many of us may not be. Perhaps you could also try asking in the 2016 thread which has been around longer and may have some participants who have a situation similar to yours or know what you should do.

Good luck!

NinaM

Star Member
Apr 12, 2017
We are really stressed. Don't want to make a mistake as it will cost us, his study permit ends on July 31. Please help!!
My husband was attending a university in Eastern Canada until last year (he has a study permit). We were engaged for 6 years and wished to get married, so he transferred to a technical school here in the west for an 8 month certificate program in his field (great program). We didnt let the CIC know as his study permit extension says DLI and doesnt specify (his original permit has the first university's name). He was offered a job right after he finished and has been working there for 2 months. We are applying for OWP and PR. His study permit expires on July 31.
1. Should we declare his employer on his OWP? Write them down as potential employer? Or keep employer as unknown?
2. Will he be allowed to continue working while we wait for OWP after his study permit expires?
3. Should we include a letter of explanation about his employment status?
4. Should we include a letter of explanation about his study program changes?
5. Is there anything we need to do to ensure he is legally allowed to stay in Canada after July 31?
6. Is there anything we can do to ensure he is legally allowed to work in Canada after July 31?
This is similar (though not the same) as what I went through for my hubby.

Advise: apply for an OWP as well as a Post Graduate Work Permit (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/work-postgrad-how.asp & https://students.ubc.ca/career/career-resources/working-canada/post-graduation-work-permit) for him at the same time. So long as it was a post-secondary technical program AND full-time, he should be eligible (and for how long, depends on the length of the program; the college should be able to provide some insight). The PGWP usually takes a shorter time than OWP (look at website for estimates). Between July 31st and when the PGWP arrives, have him take time off work if you want to be absolutely safe. Otherwise, he could technically get by on the fact that it's summer and the program doesn't run during summers, so he's allowed to work via the study permit. A heads-up: we didn't use this technicality, because we wanted to play it safe.

Re #1: leave the OWP open-ended... you never know when employer might change so don't restrict him, otherwise you may have to get another OWP and that costs more time & $$$!
Re #2: see explanation above
Re #3: there's no need to explain unless you think he's out of status for some reason?
Re #4: no need, we didn't do it for my hubby and he got PR end of June - bottom line is that they don't care especially since the DLI was left unspecified. So long as it was a post-secondary program, he's good
Re #5: I'd suggest getting a PGWP and not working between July 31st until you get it. Alternately, there is a grace period (I believe) offered to students that's about 1-3 months to leave the country after their studies, but you could be on the safe side and get a visitors visa for him to keep him in status but that means no working... the OWP has been taking about 4 months from what I can tell on here, but the PGWP is even shorter, so he'll be back in status as a temp worker shortly (within the 1-3 months) with either approach.
Re #6: get him a PGWP as soon as possible

I'm hoping that you guys were careful not to let him exceed on average 20 hrs/week while he has been working on the study visa! If not, put the job on hold until he has a temp worker status (either OWP or PGWP). There's no sense in risking his immigrant status if they ever dig into stuff like that.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:

NinaM

Star Member
Apr 12, 2017

Advise: apply for an OWP as well as a Post Graduate Work Permit (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/work-postgrad-how.asp & https://students.ubc.ca/career/career-resources/working-canada/post-graduation-work-permit) for him at the same time. So long as it was a post-secondary technical program AND full-time, he should be eligible (and for how long, depends on the length of the program; the college should be able to provide some insight). The PGWP usually takes a shorter time than OWP (look at website for estimates). Between July 31st and when the PGWP arrives, have him take time off work if you want to be absolutely safe. Otherwise, he could technically get by on the fact that it's summer and the program doesn't run during summers, so he's allowed to work via the study permit. A heads-up: we didn't use this technicality, because we wanted to play it safe.

Re #1: leave the OWP open-ended... you never know when employer might change so don't restrict him, otherwise you may have to get another OWP and that costs more time & $$$!
Re #3: there's no need to explain unless you think he's out of status for some reason?
Re #4: no need, we didn't do it for my hubby and he got PR end of June - bottom line is that they don't care especially since the DLI was left unspecified. So long as it was a post-secondary program, he's good
Re #5: I'd suggest getting a PGWP and not working between July 31st until you get it. Alternately, there is a grace period (I believe) offered to students that's about 1-3 months to leave the country after their studies, but you could be on the safe side and get a visitors visa for him to keep him in status but that means no working... the OWA has been taking about 4 months from what I can tell on here, but the PGWP is even shorter, so he'll be back in status as a temp worker shortly (within the 1-3 months) with either approach.

I'm hoping that you guys were careful not to let him exceed on average 20 hrs/week while he has been working on the study visa! If not, put the job on hold until he has a temp worker status (either OWP or PGWP). There's no sense in risking his immigrant status if they ever dig into stuff like that.

Hope this helps!
Good news.... It seems that so long as you apply for a PGWP within 90 days of completing the college program, he is eligible to work while waiting for the PGWP to come through! so you don't have to get him a visitor status or have him stop working.

FYI: I did not have to do this for my hubby because he got an OWP just before his program ended.

Ylajali

Star Member
Jun 8, 2017
App. Filed.......
2017-04-11
AOR Received.
2017-05-04
Med's Request
2017-11-15
- Application Confirmation received from cic 04-20-2017
- Email to link application received 5-11-2017.
- Schedule A requested 05-18-2017 ( police certificate submitted with the main document submission )
- OWP 06-18-2017

Do I still need to provide any documentation or are they going to request for more for the background check apart from schedule A and police certificate?
@Brittanyyyc we have a close timeline, we should follow each other! I was wondering too if they will be asking for more documents. My husband lived in two different countries, one we submitted PCC with the application as country specific requirement, the other we didn't provide anything yet but they did not mention police certificate in the Sched A request. I guess if something is missing they'll let us know... Otherwise I'm expecting we should receive the medical exam request in August...

sk21

Jun 9, 2017

Re #5: I'd suggest getting a PGWP and not working between July 31st until you get it. Alternately, there is a grace period (I believe) offered to students that's about 1-3 months to leave the country after their studies, but you could be on the safe side and get a visitors visa for him to keep him in status but that means no working... the OWP has been taking about 4 months from what I can tell on here, but the PGWP is even shorter, so he'll be back in status as a temp worker shortly (within the 1-3 months) with either approach.

Hope this helps!
Thank you so much NinaM!! Did you apply PGWP and OWP both on paper or online? I'm worried if we apply both at the same time it will cause problems? Unless we apply PGWP online and attach the OWP with our PR application. Both are ready to send.

Jeffuk88

Jan 22, 2017
Ottawa
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
OTTAWA
App. Filed.......
29-06-2017
Doc's Request.
26-06-2017
AOR Received.
26-06-2017
So an update of my timeline:
App filed: may 29th
AOR: june 26th
OWP filed: june 30th
OWP approved: july 19th
Schedule A sent: july 20th

Reactions: Amsadek4u and EGH

Pearl1

Mar 9, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Okay mine did come today as well as some other people. Yay
great !!

any idea what stage your application is at ? since mine is with a representative, i really don't get to see my profile.

do you have access to your cic profile ? any idea what the next step is going to be or what can we expect next or how long does it usually take after meds ?

Reactions: KandyK

Brittanyyyc

Star Member
Mar 10, 2017
@Brittanyyyc we have a close timeline, we should follow each other! I was wondering too if they will be asking for more documents. My husband lived in two different countries, one we submitted PCC with the application as country specific requirement, the other we didn't provide anything yet but they did not mention police certificate in the Sched A request. I guess if something is missing they'll let us know... Otherwise I'm expecting we should receive the medical exam request in August...
Ok sounds great. We should follow each other.
That is exactly what I'm thinking too , that they will request for medicals in August. You never know. It might come earlier than that :).
I will suggest if it won't cost you too much. You might want to start the process of getting the police clearance for the other place your husband lived more than 6 months. You wouldn't want them to notice that later on and use that to delay your timeline

KandyK

Feb 9, 2017
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
CPC Mississauga
App. Filed.......
13-03-2017
Doc's Request.
O4-04-2017
AOR Received.
28-03-2017
File Transfer...
05/10/2017
Med's Request
19/07/2017
Med's Done....
03/08/2017
LANDED..........
10/19/2017
Hi @KandyK :

We applied almost at the same time ..!! I have not received my medical request yet.. :-(
Oh we did actually. Did you check junk mail?
Mayb you might receive it soon. If you dont then you should give them a call.

Reactions: EGH

KandyK

Feb 9, 2017
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
CPC Mississauga
App. Filed.......
13-03-2017
Doc's Request.
O4-04-2017
AOR Received.
28-03-2017
File Transfer...
05/10/2017
Med's Request
19/07/2017
Med's Done....
03/08/2017
LANDED..........
10/19/2017
great !!

any idea what stage your application is at ? since mine is with a representative, i really don't get to see my profile.

do you have access to your cic profile ? any idea what the next step is going to be or what can we expect next or how long does it usually take after meds ?
I just received medical request. I heard that review of eligibility is next followed by sa then aip then dm.

Im not 100 percent sure