IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront; Passed
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
05-MAY-2017
October 2016 applicant here. My application changed on sponsor side to Decision made today. Can anyone please tell me the next step? Thanks
Congrats. That means you have SA. Next is AIP. AIP ends with a letter that says you are eligible to apply for Permanent Residence. Then DM, and a landing (where you will get your COPR). 61 days later, a PR Card comes.

Sam8119

Aug 26, 2016
Very hard to predict so far. But for sure, U.S. negotiators are putting more and more poison pills to both Canada and Mexico. However we are talking about very significant money, more than a billion per day just between Canada and US, so whoever is president, one cannot simply kill such a deal without significantly affecting the economy of his country. And Canada, in my opinion, is playing its cards well. In addition to the negotiation table, they are meeting several influential senators and member of the congress. Trump might try to kill nafta, I'm not sure that the Senate and the congress will let it happen.

Regarding our currency, no doubts that it would be affected if nafta is killed, but the U.S. dollar would also be affected. And one good thing that Canada did over the last decade was to sign trade agreements with others, like with Columbia, trans-pacific, European Union. Our economy still depends a lot on the U.S., but much less than before.
Thanks for the detailed reply Silvain1, really difficult times. Lets see what happens.

Reactions: sylvain1

Sam8119

Aug 26, 2016
@Sam8119

Hello Profiler, after a long time (totally my fault ). Ya China is a big factor now a days. The only thing is if it fails we would be back in time to a bilateral FTA. IDK the details of that. Will it be a smooth transition? Who knows. The only problem is any upheaval in the system, and all your investments in terms of stocks, mfs etc are in a tailspin situation. Have to see how its played out. Do you guys think it ll be done by the year end?

You missed China! ;). There is also a movement called CANZUK. I'll let you google that. We have moved all our eggs around the world. Will it hurt? Absolutely. Can we do it? Absolutely.

If the question was to me, and we are finally permitted to exercise our rights here WRT political thought, I'd say there is a significant chance it's going to die.

The US has made unrealistic demands to attempt to kill NAFTA. Example: they want something like 80% NA content from the auto sector to be made in NA. And 65% or something of that must be American. Including steel. Another is that every Canadian Government procurement, the contract must be awarded to an American company; to "offset Canada's smaller population". Access to protected markets, like dairy, etc.

The other side of the table has also made demands. I'm not sure the Prez is smart enough to catch on to what's happening, though. Example: Canada has a problem with labour standards in both Mexico and US. They have lower standards than we do, so they can make things cheaper -- making it harder to compete. So, on it's face, things like minimum wage, max hours per week, etc looks fine. However, look deeper -- health care is also something subsidized by employers (or is by taxes, each province is different). The Senate caught on -- senators have introduced a bill to correct employment standards (and some have wrote that they were embarrassed that Canadian negotiators had to tell them of the problem).

Is it dead, yeah maybe. But that introduces a YUGE problem. Canada is America's largest source of secure energy. Electricity, Oil, Gas, Uranium, etc. NAFTA regulates that. No NAFTA, well, you can do the math here.

Mexico and Canada are committed to the deal. They will persist, even if US backs out. UK mused this week that, they might want in to mitigate Brexit.

Take it all with a grain. Chrystia Freeland is on the job. She clenched the CETA deal, even when all thought hope was lost. Additionally, Ontario alone trades nearly $1bln/ day with just the US (more than 20 states list Ontario as top import/export partner). Add the other provinces, and we are up to Justin's figure of ~2.5bln USD / day trade. The Ways and Means committee in Congress does possess the ability to torpedo Trump ending NAFTA -- and they side 99.995% (just made up a number, because it's so close to total) with Justin's comments to them from Wednesday. Also important to note: Mexico and Canada entered into a pact to fight Trump trying to end this. Presently, Mexico definately seems to be taking cues from Canada's team, and after they certainly decompress together to compare notes.

profiler

VIP Member
Aug 10, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-MAR-2016
AOR Received.
13-MAY-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront; Passed
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
05-MAY-2017
Hello Profiler, after a long time (totally my fault ). Ya China is a big factor now a days. The only thing is if it fails we would be back in time to a bilateral FTA. IDK the details of that. Will it be a smooth transition? Who knows. The only problem is any upheaval in the system, and all your investments in terms of stocks, mfs etc are in a tailspin situation. Have to see how its played out. Do you guys think it ll be done by the year end?
You shouldn't open such a big can of worms ;).

So, I offered my diatribe to help you understand, it may be a gut punch for us here, yes. For them there, when the EU is also becoming increasingly belligerent toward Trump. That spells total and utter disaster. Both major trading blocs being disrupted..

Canada has long been a safe harbour, but I wouldn't expect the Canada-US agreement to save your investments. One step further, even if NAFTA survives, the US is trying to weaken investor positions. So, if it was me, prepare to fast sell. But I have no training, and less interest in investment.

See: http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/politics/nafta-mexico-1.4355021

And if you are interested, there is a 45min video from a visit a few weeks back from Clinton, with Chrietien in Montreal talking about NAFTA. They were the original caretakers... The crowd is investors. LMK and I'll post.

Also, not a chance can it be done in 6 weeks. They have near zero common ground it seems.

EDIT: @sylvain1 "liked" the post, so I will take that as I should post the video.
I miss "proper" relations like these...

Last edited:
Reactions: sylvain1

mmusial15

Oct 18, 2016
Alberta, Canada
Visa Office......
CPC Mississauga
App. Filed.......
22-07-2016
Doc's Request.
17-10-2016
AOR Received.
25-07-2016
Med's Request
06-21-2017
Med's Done....
07-07-2017
I received an email that our PR paperwork was approved. It stated that we would get a letter advising us where we needed to go. The next day I received an email advising me to go for an appointment on Oct. 19th at 9 am, in Edmonton. Is this an interview? Is this our "landing"? Or will we go to this appointment and then be sent to the border to cross, and "land". I am very confused. It also states we need to bring the letter they sent us, our passports, our CIC documents, and photos for PR....we are going to get the photos taken tomorrow. I guess all I really need to know is...is this our landing and then we will wait the time frame for the PR cards to be sent to us....Please advise.

profiler

VIP Member
Aug 10, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-MAR-2016
AOR Received.
13-MAY-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront; Passed
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
05-MAY-2017
I received an email that our PR paperwork was approved. It stated that we would get a letter advising us where we needed to go. The next day I received an email advising me to go for an appointment on Oct. 19th at 9 am, in Edmonton. Is this an interview? Is this our "landing"? Or will we go to this appointment and then be sent to the border to cross, and "land". I am very confused. It also states we need to bring the letter they sent us, our passports, our CIC documents, and photos for PR....we are going to get the photos taken tomorrow. I guess all I really need to know is...is this our landing and then we will wait the time frame for the PR cards to be sent to us....Please advise.
Congrats! That's your landing! They will fill out the COPR with you there, and you are done. No trip necessary.

PR Cards right now is 61 days from landing.

Reactions: mmusial15

mmusial15

Oct 18, 2016
Alberta, Canada
Visa Office......
CPC Mississauga
App. Filed.......
22-07-2016
Doc's Request.
17-10-2016
AOR Received.
25-07-2016
Med's Request
06-21-2017
Med's Done....
07-07-2017
Thank you so much Profiler!!!! It has been a long time coming and I can stop bugging you now. lol. ;)

profiler

VIP Member
Aug 10, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-MAR-2016
AOR Received.
13-MAY-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront; Passed
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
05-MAY-2017
Thank you so much Profiler!!!! It has been a long time coming and I can stop bugging you now. lol. ;)
It's no bother to me. Glad that you got it all sorted and everything is good. See, it wasn't *that* hard :)

ripper44

Nov 24, 2016
Profiler, one more question if you don't mind. In the request for FBI Clearance, it says "In addition, please account for the period of time that you lived in the USA." As she has never lived there, is a simple letter explaining that along with the FBI information enough? I am guessing the word "lived" is just generic for anyone who spend a total of 6 months or more in the US since the age of 18.
Also, we now have Decision Made on the sponsor side and we are reviewing your eligibility on the applicant notes in mycic. We just need to provide the FBI info and the cohabitation proofs, both will be sent next week. How long would you guess to complete the process?

profiler

VIP Member
Aug 10, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-MAR-2016
AOR Received.
13-MAY-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront; Passed
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
05-MAY-2017
Profiler, one more question if you don't mind. In the request for FBI Clearance, it says "In addition, please account for the period of time that you lived in the USA." As she has never lived there, is a simple letter explaining that along with the FBI information enough? I am guessing the word "lived" is just generic for anyone who spend a total of 6 months or more in the US since the age of 18.
Also, we now have Decision Made on the sponsor side and we are reviewing your eligibility on the applicant notes in mycic. We just need to provide the FBI info and the cohabitation proofs, both will be sent next week. How long would you guess to complete the process?
30-60 days from when they receive I would expect they have decided. Then depends on what local CIC office you have near by (they are assigned by postal code) for landing. After landing, 61 days for a PR Card.

"Living" means more than 6 months. So, letter and FBI clearance should be enough. If it's not, they will advise.

sylvain1

Champion Member
Nov 2, 2016
Quebec
Visa Office......
Montreal
App. Filed.......
12-08-2015
AOR Received.
07-11-2015
Med's Request
07-12-2016
Med's Done....
21-12-2016
LANDED..........
26-05-2017
Thanks for posting that. That's sad! But unfortunately for them, most will not qualify as refugees and will be sent back to their country of origin. It's much more quiet now than it was this summer, but the worst is yet to come. If I understood correctly, most Haitians that came to U.S. after the earthquake will have their legal status expire in January. These people will walk a while, not being properly dressed, to enter illegally in Canada with the hopes of a better life, but with probably end up being deported.