+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal Sponorship - No Wedding... for now

richtea

Mar 24, 2010
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi! Im a Canadian sponsoring my wife from China. I visited her last month to marry her but did not have a wedding ceremony. Would that make my application an immediate refusal? The reason why we didn't have a wedding was because she doesn't have many close family members living in China. The ones that do live hours away in poor villages and towns. She and her parents and sister are basically "alone". As for me, almost all of my family and friends in Canada couldn't come to a wedding in China. They had jobs, school, university and other commitments. My wife and I don't want a lackluster wedding with only a dozen attendees so we plan to have a big one when she arrives in Canada. I really hope that this doesn't bite me in the a** later on. I did, however write a half-page explanation, explaining the reason in detail and also explaining that we both are going to have one in the future.

My other major concern is the lack of phone records. My wife and I have talked on the phone several times a week since May 2009, our first contact. But since long distance calls are expensive, we use phone cards instead. Should I photocopy my recent cards or just get the telephone bill with the phone card numbers on it? Or should I just write another note with an explanation?

As for other documents, Ive got everything pretty much done :)

Any help would be awesome. I really need some answers asap. Cheers! :)

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

richtea said:
Hi! Im a Canadian sponsoring my wife from China. I visited her last month to marry her but did not have a wedding ceremony. Would that make my application an immediate refusal? The reason why we didn't have a wedding was because she doesn't have many close family members living in China. The ones that do live hours away in poor villages and towns. She and her parents and sister are basically "alone". As for me, almost all of my family and friends in Canada couldn't come to a wedding in China. They had jobs, school, university and other commitments. My wife and I don't want a lackluster wedding with only a dozen attendees so we plan to have a big one when she arrives in Canada. I really hope that this doesn't bite me in the a** later on. I did, however write a half-page explanation, explaining the reason in detail and also explaining that we both are going to have one in the future.

My other major concern is the lack of phone records. My wife and I have talked on the phone several times a week since May 2009, our first contact. But since long distance calls are expensive, we use phone cards instead. Should I photocopy my recent cards or just get the telephone bill with the phone card numbers on it? Or should I just write another note with an explanation?

As for other documents, Ive got everything pretty much done :)

Any help would be awesome. I really need some answers asap. Cheers! :)
1. The lack of celebration is probably going to "bite" you, all you can do is provide an explanation.
2. Phone cards don't show who phoned or who was phoned to, pretty useless as evidence.
3. Phone bills.

PMM

richtea

Mar 24, 2010
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
:eek: Will my application be refused though? I have a ton of photos of us on vacation, an inch stack of e-mails, marriage photos (we went to a photostudio and took some photos to celebrate the occasion)...

I really hope things go well.. I havent slept well in the past month worrying over this. I really want my wife to come to Canada and have a decent wedding...

I dont know what to do with the phone bills thing, If I send em into the package, it's only gonna show the phone card numbers right? ...

Perfect

Star Member
Mar 22, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Pretoria
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
August 11, 2010
Doc's Request.
October 5, 2010
AOR Received.
October 5, 2010
File Transfer...
September 10, 2010
Med's Done....
February 20, 2010
Im almost in that situation..I married my husband in a civil court and only had my sister and his best friend with us..they were the witnesses anyway. Reason being...Ive never wanted to have a wedding all my life. When I pledged my vows in court, that was my moment right there...we made a commitment to each othe sealed our love for one another! I dont intend on having a ceremony, if anything..we plan on renewing our vows 5 years from now hopefully wel have a ceremony. Its not mandatory to have a ceremony, if everything else is ok, then you are good to go. The only way that could raise flags is when you don't have any other documentary evidence showing how your relationship progressed, i.e. consistent communication, visitations, emails letters etc...so basically all im saying is that on its own is not sufficient enough to generate a refusal..however the lack of a ceremony amongst other things..i.e lack of documentary evidence..can cause red flags!!! You don't have to have a big wedding for immigration purposes..let alone have a boring event just to prove a point!!!! I don't think that's fair..after all its all about the couple...

Perfect

Star Member
Mar 22, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Pretoria
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
August 11, 2010
Doc's Request.
October 5, 2010
AOR Received.
October 5, 2010
File Transfer...
September 10, 2010
Med's Done....
February 20, 2010
Oh by the way...i know tons of people who have come her to Canada without having weddings. Its a personal choice...so sleep well from today onwards coz your wife will be coming to join you!

AllisonVSC

Champion Member
Nov 5, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo - Conjugal Partner
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-08-2009
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
04-11-2009
LANDED..........
04-11-2009
Have you submitted your application yet? If not, you can still gather more evidence... Have friends and family write letters acknowledging that they know you married and were sorry they were unable to attend. A statement from the person who married you could help. Is there a certificate or marriage license or other proof that you are married?

richtea

Mar 24, 2010
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes. We have marriage certificates and statements. I already have 3 cards given to me from my close friends and brother congratulating my wife and I on our marriage/engagement. I suppose my father could write a letter explaining why he and my mom would not have been able to attend a wedding in China.

EDIT: And no, I have not submitted my app yet. Im gonna do that in late april/early may. My wife still has fly to hong kong to get her medical exam done.

AllisonVSC

Champion Member
Nov 5, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-08-2009
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
04-11-2009
LANDED..........
04-11-2009
Keep gathering then. Maybe other folks on the forum will have some good ideas for you too.

You'll probably want to add her as your beneficiary if you carry life insurance. Also make a will that includes her. I don't know if it is possible to do this without her being present, but you could try adding her name to your bank accounts, credit cards and lease if you have one.

The great benefit of asking your question today is that you still have time to build a stronger case. Best wishes!

matthewc

Jan 18, 2010
Grimsby, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
Inland (CPC-Vegreville)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
AOR Received.
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
Send in your phone bills. Phone cards alone are useless as evidence - and the VO will usually say so. Send them in anyway, because you never know. But... I would start phoning her using a regular line, so her number shows up on your bill. It's not as expensive as it used to be to phone long distance.
Make sure you stress that you did get married - marriage certificate, statements from those who were there and photos of the occasion. In addition to explaining that you'll be having a wedding ceremony and reception when she gets to Canada.
You are going to need a lot of evidence that you have a genuine marriage. Are you going through the Hong Kong office? About half of spousal sponsorships get refused from there. Other places in China are better, and also quicker.

richtea

Mar 24, 2010
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
My wife and I decided to have our application processed in Beijing, since she lives in Kunming, Yunnan. If I start making calls using a regular line, would it be a little too late? Since I am a month away from handing in my application to mississauga.

AllisonVSC

Champion Member
Nov 5, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-08-2009
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
04-11-2009
LANDED..........
04-11-2009
No, it is not too late to start making calls. You might also want to look into getting a plan that gives free long distance to that area...even if you plan to only keep it a few months it might save you some cash. We just got a phone plan that includes free long distance to Europe and everywhere in North America (my partner is French and I'm American) for around $60 per month. Send the new bill with the phone cards and other evidence of continued contact.

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
I agree. It's not too late. If she has an interview, they ask to bring in further proof of contact, so you'll also have the bills from the months after you sent in the application.