+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsorship inside or outside Canada??

Lulu_434

Feb 23, 2012
Hi I'm currently living in Canada with my common law partner and have been since the end of 2008. I left to Australia for 7 months but we continued the relationship. I spoke to a call centre agent and she said it was up to my discretion when I wanted to state when my common law status began (the first year I was here or a year after I came back from my trip to Australia). My question is that we were going to do the in Canada sponsorship but I've heard it's much faster to do it through overseas visa offices. Is this correct? Anyone been in a similar situation? I understand I would have to return to Australia if an interview was needed, this would not be an issue. I just want this processed as soon as possible. What forms would I use?
Thanks for any suggestions!!

ashunandal

Champion Member
Jun 23, 2011
New Delhi
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 26, 2012
File Transfer...
May 1, 2012
Interview........
July 31, 2012 (approved) went "in process" same day
Passport Req..
May 10, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
Visa stamped on August 3, 2012 and passport received back on August 13, 2012
LANDED..........
Oct 21, 2012
Lulu_434 said:
Hi I'm currently living in Canada with my common law partner and have been since the end of 2008. I left to Australia for 7 months but we continued the relationship. I spoke to a call centre agent and she said it was up to my discretion when I wanted to state when my common law status began (the first year I was here or a year after I came back from my trip to Australia). My question is that we were going to do the in Canada sponsorship but I've heard it's much faster to do it through overseas visa offices. Is this correct? Anyone been in a similar situation? I understand I would have to return to Australia if an interview was needed, this would not be an issue. I just want this processed as soon as possible. What forms would I use?
Thanks for any suggestions!!
yes it is better to apply outland instead of inland. if you apply from outside, whole process will take only 4-6 months but in case of inland processing time will be 2 years. even if you go for outland, you can still stay in canada but if there is any interview, you will have to visit your VO. there are only 5% chances for interview in your case i think.
best of luck :)

Lulu_434

Feb 23, 2012
Thanks for the quick response :)
Also would my common law partner have to attend the interview (if required) in Australia too?

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
No. The visa officers almost never ask to speak to the sponsor; if they want to, they will phone. If the sponsor is with you in the city where the interview is held, and goes with you to the embassy, the visa officer may decide to interview him too. They don't expect the sponsor to be there, though.

pinklady

Champion Member
Jan 13, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-12-2010
Passport Req..
28-02-2011
LANDED..........
09-04-2011
Its very common for people from visa exempt countries to apply outland while waiting it out in Canada, myself included.
The chance of an interview is slim.
Just provide as much evidence as possible with the application.

Good luck!

Use these forms
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/fc.asp